Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]

Author Topic: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate  (Read 253988 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate
« Reply #645 on: March 11, 2014, 06:45:16 PM »

yeah I am not bothered and sorry for the siderailing.  I thought my comment was harmless and I apologise it offended some people.

Darren

« Reply #646 on: March 12, 2014, 06:12:17 AM »

hmm, a few points I feel I need to set straight before I move on from this disaster of a conversation.

I didn't think you were attacking BT Chrysalis and I wasn't defending BT, nor do I work for them. I was certainly not offended so no need to apologise, if that was directed at me.

It's clear now you were talking from your own perspective instead of BTs, hence the difference of opinion.

Posting on forums isn't something I do much nowadays, simply becasue I can't be bothered dealing with the inevitable missunderstandings that faceless communication brings. Hopefully we understand where each of us were coming from now and you have no hard feelings.

Anyway, looking forward to some vectoring results.

bignose2

« Reply #647 on: December 05, 2014, 05:11:02 PM »

HI,

I now an old thread but thought I would add my 2 p as I could not find similar info anywhere but stumbled on this thread in searching.

Been waiting expectantly for FTTC & had rather given up with but all of a sudden'ish BDUK came through and enabled today.

I am 99% sure I am 750m from cabinet (Certainly no less, only 1 possible route to my house, annoyingly it goes past 40m & back again so 80m unnecessarily, again I know this as have been with engineers when trying to fix previous faults).

I know I have good copper, partially as I have seen what looks like newish connectors & cable in the man hole & I use to get 7+ MB from adsl on over 3km from exchange (BT estimates 3mb) so can assume the "last mile" has got to be pretty good to excellent. All underground.

Because of this, I would not get your hopes up but I really think nice to know of potential much more that I I ever imagined.

I am also first on the cabinet but quite rural so hope not too have much crosstalk but starting point of this is quite amazing.

Anyway a variety of speed tests all confirm 71mb Down & 17mb UP & file downloads timed, as I could not believe it.
I am sure there is nothing special about this cabinet, no vectoring or anything as these figures would seem to defy even the best estimates.

BT checker was max Clean 46 - 65 and I think that uses house location and I know this line goes an extra 80 meters and my drive is a further 100+ meters to the BT socket so even I thought 65 would be very optimistic.

I had guessed I might get just over 40mb & 7up & if lucky high 40's & 9mb up. worst case I assumed about 35mb.

Only been on 12 hours so will see how stable but no glitches so far.

Apart from the original useless BT (Freelance) installer for TalkTalk. He only got 13mb down on test for about 5 seconds, then nothing, no connection at all, said that would be fine, perhaps not fully activated as first on cabinet (perhaps true). I did say this really did not seem OK but hard to argue. come morning, still nothing. Because he had signed off as completed! (not sure what definition he used) it then was down as a fault. so remote tests, more remote tests & because it would get a connection for perhaps a few seconds now & again that was considered OK, so escalated then not, so no engineer appointments. Eventually BT out today and said wires had not been pushed home in the cabinet. Monday install, working Friday.. not good.

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #648 on: December 07, 2014, 02:43:17 PM »

Hi and welcome :)

That does seem very good for 750m.  As regards to the BT estimates they are often conservative to cater for the less than optimal lines..  and Im sure they also perhaps factor in something in anticipation of crosstalk.

Im sure Ive probably already mentioned in the this, but BT's original estimate for my line was "Up to 62.6 Mbps" and that was before they even started on the Impacted range which now says 50.5Mbps.   I was far from the first on my cab (port 25) yet when I first got connected my max attainable was 108Mbps, so goodness knows what I could have got if I was one of the first - possibly double what the BT estimate said? 

Because it sounds like you are the first on the cab, then as more people join, then your current speed will gradually decline. So far Ive lost about 30Mbps to crosstalk and Im sure its not done with me yet as I lost 5Mb just a couple of weeks ago.   I gained a bit back by using my own router which gives a higher bit rate, but unless they roll out vectoring soon, then everyones speeds continue to decline :(

Eventually BT out today and said wires had not been pushed home in the cabinet. Monday install, working Friday.. not good.
  I cant help but wonder how much money BT have 'saved' by using contractors.  I suppose the majority do a decent job, but we do hear an awful lot which have gone wrong whereby the use of a contractor has meant a subsequent BT visit required.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ih

• Just arrived
« Reply #649 on: December 07, 2014, 04:15:39 PM »

I think my max attainable was something like 132Mbit down, 30 or 40Mbit up. I was the second connection on the cabinet (must have been the first day of service) and a rock solid 40Mbps sync for the time. This may have been before BT rolled out profile 17a, but I don't know if the Huawei's calculation is based on that.

Now it's more or less the 72Mbit that I sync at (this is a slight improvement on before, used to be 65Mbps unless I resync during a power cut) and 27Mbit up. I am approximately 350-400m from the cabinet, more or less just up the road from me.

I hope vectoring happens soon (I hear Ireland/Eircom are already doing it). It's also annoying that I've seen some very rural FTTP deployments by BT, and in my own village precisely one road (not EO, there's a copper cabinet and it's closer to the exchange than I am) got FTTP. I guess for the rest of us it's going to be some combination of pair bonding/vectoring/profile 30a to get speeds up.

76Mbit on 750m does sound very good though.

bignose2

« Reply #650 on: December 07, 2014, 11:25:06 PM »

Yes,

Being quite/very rural I hope & quite optimistic that I do not get too much crosstalk because there are only 7 or 8 houses between me & the cabinet but a small'ish hotel that is 200m further on which is much more of a worry.

A few more houses further on & that's it in my direction. Will they all take FTTC up anyway? probably, eventually.

I am not sure how many connections are needed before a real impact but surely on housing estates there could be dozens or more all going down the same ducting.

I guess at this distance the impact will probably be more significant but either way still much better than before. Wondering the fact that I must have good quality line may either make cross talk worse as strong signal or perhaps if better if insulation might not suffer as much.

Sync speed had dropped because I had a restart 12 hours ago, I think must have had power disconnect or something, hopefully not signal problems as been rock steady otherwise & only this one dsl restart. Max attainable actually went up to 79mb!! but line rate is 67mb with speed tests at 62mb.
I am  not sure why this would sync slower on higher Max, I know first few/10 days DLM adjusts but would one disconnect not make a difference.

As new to FTTC not sure how informative SNR is. Been steady day & night 6.0-6.2.
On ADSL use to vary quite a bit over the day. Gradually dropping 3  from daytime peak, overnight. During the day on restart I could sometimes sync as at a higher than normal rate & keep 6snr, but over night this could go as slow a 2 & perhaps drop out, rare. If it re-syncs then as a slower speed I get a more healthy 24hr snr and no disconnects ever. With TT so they did not use DLM & would not change SNR levels unless requested but understand fibre is all DLM.

Going to leave it & make sure not accidentally un-pluged.

Trouble is this contractor! said you cannot extend the Master Socket, I use to have my ADSL 7m away via quality cat5e cable & he said he could not do anything with that so now the router sits by the front door a little exposed. I am fairly sure this was also c**p as lots of people seem to have extensions. Was not worth arguing at that point, easy enough to rewire the cat5e as direct ethernet to port on my router anyway. With such a good speed I thought I would not mess anyway for now & leave it there.

I still happy that the starting point is so high, If I had begun with perhaps low 40's then lots of crosstalk down to 30 or even less, whilst still great it would be a shame to be finally on fibre & not enjoy the full benefits.

Will anxiously watch over the next few weeks/months. I guess the hotel will be hot on my heels & that is the one to watch.

thanks for your comments.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #651 on: December 07, 2014, 11:52:18 PM »

I am  not sure why this would sync slower on higher Max, I know first few/10 days DLM adjusts but would one disconnect not make a difference.

The DLM kicks in on the 2nd day for a new FTTC install, and the 10 days is an openreach thing meaning they won't investicate a possible line fault until the 11th day or there after  :(

bignose2

« Reply #652 on: December 08, 2014, 12:10:20 AM »

Thanks for that, do you think the DLM has just slowed me down or could it be errors.

I can't find the the stats on this HG635.
or is this
Internet stats:
INTERNET_TR069_R_VID_101
INTERNET_TR069_R_ETH1
Other_B_0_65
INTERNET_TR069_R_0_38
.... the same thing perhaps under a different name. All of the above have 0 under the errors heading.

Can't find CRC's anywhere.

I really don't like this hg635, port forwarding seems stupid & nothing is anything like the many modems I have had before, even the hg533 were much nicer than this.

bignose2

« Reply #653 on: December 08, 2014, 12:16:15 AM »

Following on, just looked at my log
10:02:13 07/12/2014   User Level   Notice   CWMP:Cwmp post inform success.
10:02:13 07/12/2014   User Level   Notice   CWMP inform message: parameter change.
10:02:13 07/12/2014   User Level   Notice   CWMP inform message: event: 4 VALUE CHANGE.
10:02:09 07/12/2014   System   Notice   WAN connection INTERNET_TR069_R_VID_101:IPv4 connected.
10:00:38 07/12/2014   System   Notice   DSL connection is active.
10:00:11 07/12/2014   System   Notice   WAN connection INTERNET_TR069_R_VID_101:IPv4 disconnected.(ERROR_NO_CARRIER)
10:00:11 07/12/2014   System   Notice   DSL connection is disactive.

Almost exactly 2 days after engineer fixed my connection and got it working, 10am 2 days earlier, after bum install.
Just wondered what the parameter change & Value change could refer to, poss a reset by DLM (I guess unlikely) but why slower..

this is why I would like to find the true error count.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #654 on: December 08, 2014, 07:48:52 AM »

If you want to see your errors and stats see http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14185.msg273545#msg273545.   It would be best to also read surrounding posts and the latest ones.  It is at your own risk but it is only a config file and can't hurt the HG635 itself. 

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #655 on: December 09, 2014, 12:17:28 AM »

my original estimate was 65.9, my attainable when I first unlocked modem was 110, it did go down to 50 at one point and I am now at low 70s.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #656 on: April 11, 2015, 06:41:01 PM »

I am 99% sure I am 750m from cabinet (Certainly no less, only 1 possible route to my house, annoyingly it goes past 40m & back again so 80m unnecessarily, again I know this as have been with engineers when trying to fix previous faults).

I know I have good copper, partially as I have seen what looks like newish connectors & cable in the man hole & I use to get 7+ MB from adsl on over 3km from exchange (BT estimates 3mb) so can assume the "last mile" has got to be pretty good to excellent. All underground.

This thread will never die!

Your line sounds very similar to mine. I am around 750 to 800m from the cabinet, perhaps a bit more or less. My line is mostly overhead but has always been above average. The entire cable between the DP and my house was replaced a few years ago and since then I've got a constant 7.5+ Mb sync despite being 3km from the exchange (42dB-ish attenuation).

I hope my experience is like yours! I now have an FTTC cabinet but orders are not available yet. I assume it's still working well for you?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]