Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Getting the very most out of my connection (672 Kbps ADSL)  (Read 15958 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Getting the very most out of my connection (672 Kbps ADSL)
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2015, 08:36:58 PM »

21CN WBC, and Sky and TalkTalk LLU are all available according to the earlier samknows screenshot.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2015, 08:38:50 PM »

21CN WBC, and Sky and TalkTalk LLU are all available according to the earlier samknows screenshot.

Ah, so b*cat retreats into his brown-paper bag . . .  :paperbag:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2015, 08:41:51 PM »

Shouldn't ADSL2 be better on longer lines since it takes better advantage of the available frequency spectrum?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2015, 08:53:24 PM »

Shouldn't ADSL2 be better on longer lines since it takes better advantage of the available frequency spectrum?

Yes, indeed. That is why I always recommend trying that mode of modulation.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2015, 09:42:03 PM »

If you want i can send you an HH5A at no cost it will work on ADSL and VDSL lines it should work on a TT ISP line.

Jakg

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2015, 10:08:38 PM »

If you want i can send you an HH5A at no cost it will work on ADSL and VDSL lines it should work on a TT ISP line.
Thanks, but I think I'd rather something that allowed me more control. That is unless the HomeHub 5 is known for having particularly good ADSL performance?

I'm currently looking for a cheap DrayTek 120 modem on eBay which uses the same Lantiq (aka Infineon) chipset.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2015, 06:34:17 PM »

Thanks, but I think I'd rather something that allowed me more control. That is unless the HomeHub 5 is known for having particularly good ADSL performance?

Not sure about ADSL performance not much tweaking can be done on the HH5A.

[Moderator edited to fix the broken [quote][/quote] tag.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:45:48 PM by burakkucat »

Jakg

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2015, 08:17:10 PM »

I picked up a DrayTek 120 off eBay (uses an Infineon chipset to match the one in my cab), worse performance than when using my Billion 8800nl.

Specifically, 544/448kbps Up/Down at 8db SNR. I don't know where it got 8 from as my line will do 5 easily, but theres no way I can tweak it to improve on that.

Stats:
--------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) -----------
   DSL Modulation          : G.DMT   
   State                   : SHOWTIME
   DS Actual Rate          :   544000 bps   US Actual Rate       :   448000 bps
   DS Attainable Rate      :   704000 bps   US Attainable Rate   :   636000 bps
   DS Path Mode            :  Interleave    US Path Mode         :  Interleave
   DS Interleave Depth     :        4       US Interleave Depth  :        4
   NE Current Attenuation  :       77 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :        8  dB
   DS actual PSD           :    14. 7 dB    US actual PSD        :    12. 6   dB
   ADSL Firmware Version   : 332201_A
  -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
   Far Current Attenuation :       31 dB    Far SNR Margin       :        7  dB
   CO ITU Version[0]       : 00004946       CO ITU Version[1]    : 0000544e
   DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < IFTN >

(I know I'm flogging a dead horse)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2015, 08:24:08 PM »

Please leave it to "settle" and then show us the statistics after 24 hours have elapsed.

Jakg

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2015, 08:39:18 PM »

Please leave it to "settle" and then show us the statistics after 24 hours have elapsed.
I'm not actually sure how to do that!

I've never used a standalone modem before, but once it's connected to a router I don't seem to be able to get to the gui / telnet into it - because it's "past" the router.

For testing I had my laptop hooked up acting as a router initiating the PPPoA/E connection, which then allowed me to telnet into it as well. I couldn't do this (and be unable to connect on any other PC) for 24 hours.

When I reconnected my Billion I instantly when back to 640kbps @ 5.5dB.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2015, 09:05:12 PM »

Hmm . . . I see your problem.  :(

How were you planning on using the Vigor 120, if your initial tests proved to be a positive improvement?

Jakg

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2015, 09:24:34 PM »

Hmm . . . I see your problem.  :(

How were you planning on using the Vigor 120, if your initial tests proved to be a positive improvement?
I had not thought that far ahead!

I did manage to get it working through my Billion 8800nl router - but I then lost the ability to see any stats, SNR margin, sync speed etc. So if it worked - then I could of used it that way.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2015, 10:33:39 PM »

Basically, I am you :-)

There is definitely hope but it might need some cash and help. And it might just be a shocking line, poor quality MPF or interference outside the house. Tiny things in the house make a vast amount of difference with attn so high and signals so weak.

I have a ridiculously long line, 63.5 dB ds attn supposedly, four miles from the exchange Broadford Isle of Skye, and get 1.75 Mbps per line.

I suggest.
(0) read all my posts, esp the early ones, and a couple of v recent ones.All known tips there.

(1) Mains filtering.

(2) Try Netgear DG834v3 (not no G, ie non-wireless) from ebay £10. Must be v3. A savage performer, needs latest f/w., might be specific to TI exchanges. Also DLink DSL-320B from aa.net.uk shop only! so it comes preconfigured as a modem, not a really bad router.  Dirt cheap. These I am using right now, but am considering going back to give the Netgear modems another try for comparison to refresh my memory.

(3) at least talk to Andrews & Arnold aa.net.uk. Talk to tech support and sales. If your line is broken, they will sort it or your money back. A&A will beat BT Openreach up for you if needed.

(4) shorten all internal phone cables and dsl cables to nothing and get rid of all phones and extensions.

(5) if need be, book BT Openreach to do a “change point of entry” if this will help you shorten links and get your modem right close the the NTE5 and make it be where you want to work. Forget wireless, don't let the wireless coverage placement wag the shortness dog. Get a separate high quality wireless access point and place that where it suits you best,meith a long length of Ethernet cable to it if needed.

I use A&A with three lines bonded together, and combined upstream as well as downstream. My line is just as long as yours, and I get a combined 5.2-5.5 Mbps ds throughput.

When youve read everything Ive ever written :-) do come back and ask anything. But I would let A&A do all the work, that's what they get paid to do.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2015, 10:36:06 PM »

Without blowing my own trumpet, I worked as a consultant dealing with ADSL installations for my customers so I've dealt with this a lot. So there is hope as I've seen it.

Jakg

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2015, 11:19:01 PM »

Basically, I am you :-)
Hi, me! :D
(0) read all my posts, esp the early ones, and a couple of v recent ones.All known tips there.
Reading :)
(1) Mains filtering.
My router (+ switch, NAS, Access Point & DECT phone) are run off an APC UPS, I think this filters as well? If not, any recommendations?
(2) Try Netgear DG834v3 (not no G, ie non-wireless) from ebay £10. Must be v3. A savage performer, needs latest f/w., might be specific to TI exchanges. Also DLink DSL-320B from aa.net.uk shop only! so it comes preconfigured as a modem, not a really bad router.  Dirt cheap. These I am using right now, but am considering going back to give the Netgear modems another try for comparison to refresh my memory.
Ok, will set up a search on eBay for the Netgear. The DLink one looks a bit more than I want to pay for a quick test.
(3) at least talk to Andrews & Arnold aa.net.uk. Talk to tech support and sales. If your line is broken, they will sort it or your money back. A&A will beat BT Openreach up for you if needed.
I've spoken to them - but they didn't seem hopeful of much performance improvement, rather better contention / fault resolution. I don't think my lines broken - it's just physics. They estimated a line length of 7.2km. They seem like a nice company - but I really, really don't want to lose unlimited downloads, and I just can't see much of an upside for the significant increase in cost.
(4) shorten all internal phone cables and dsl cables to nothing and get rid of all phones and extensions.
I'll forgive you for not reading the back story - but I have one single phone socket, with a 0.5m cable going to the modem, and a 2-3m cable going to the dect phone base station. No extensions or other sockets connected.
(5) if need be, book BT Openreach to do a “change point of entry” if this will help you shorten links and get your modem right close the the NTE5 and make it be where you want to work. Forget wireless, don't let the wireless coverage placement wag the shortness dog. Get a separate high quality wireless access point and place that where it suits you best,meith a long length of Ethernet cable to it if needed.
My modem is 0.5m from the master socket. The BT guy moved the master socket, but it's on the front of the house so realistically it couldn't get any nearer - at best I might lose 5m by moving it upstairs but that seems a bit pointless on a 7000m line!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5