Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Video needs resizing  (Read 6936 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Video needs resizing
« on: February 20, 2008, 08:21:11 PM »

Can anyone suggest a "easy to use" program to be able to re-convert a movie file (.avi)

Unfortunately someone somehow managed to change the embedded aspect ratio of 16:9 (widescreen) but coded it as 4:3
So even when trying to transcode it at 16:9 it still comes out at 4:3
 (which obviously does not look right as everyone is 10 feet tall and as thin as twiggy (used to be))

I have tried Canopus ProCoder but even after making the necessary adjustments it now comes out too wide and squashed. (obviously with a little playing around I could get it right, but that would just be with trial and error) and will take too long.

ConvertXtoDVD also did not give me the results I wanted.
At the moment I have just set it with Nero to transcode it at 4:3, which seems to be working, then I will try again to convert it back with ConvertXtoDVD Auto GK.

But, if any one knows a quicker and easier way, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

****************************************************************************************

edit:

Well I think I have managed to get it changed back to it's original format, but it was probably a looong winded way of doing things.

1. Transcoded the original .avi as 4:3 in Nero ........................ (3.5Hrs)
2. Used Auto GK to rip it back to a true 16:9 "672x384" .avi .. (7.5Hrs)
3. Transcoded back to DVD with Nero as a 16:9 ratio ............ (3.5Hrs)

Time taken prior to this was about 7Hrs. So total time about 21Hrs.
When all the first person had to do was put it onto a DVD.

Although it's not quite finished, but it should now be okay (let you know if not)

What I forgot to mention at the start was that this is someones wedding day video, left in the capable hands of a so-called expert who did not create a copy to work with before starting, but used the one and only original and managed to make a right old mess of it.  :'(

No doubt a nice big piece of wedding cake will be coming this way later today.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 08:39:23 AM by oldfogy »

Re: Video needs resizing
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 01:21:06 PM »

I was going to suggest you just downloaded a different version as it would probably be quicker than re-encoding. Not really an option in the circumstances though :lol:

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 02:12:29 PM »

"just downloaded a different version, not really an option in the circumstances though :lol: "

Well, give it time, it's not exactly a marrige made in heven.  :lol:

paul-49

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:27:52 PM »

I know you have TMPGEnc, that will change it for you. 16.9 or 4.3

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:00:04 AM »

Thanks Paul,

I have played with TMPGEnc in the past but to be honest very half heartedly so never gave it a try thought.

However, I did try again today just out of curiosity and Auto GK did actually change the original avi file from it's original setting to 16:9 (which like I said were pretty much messed up) although I think it is still a fraction on the tall side, but they can live with that.

If I had tried this earlier it would have bypassed the first Nero conversion, but still it's done now.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:43:21 AM »

There's a program I found a while ago called SUPER - Simplified Universal Player Encoder & Renderer!

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

It's a bit tricky to find the download links so here's how:
  • Scroll down to the bottom of that page and click where it says "Start Downloading SUPER © right now and discover this fully featured Multimedia Freeware."
  • On this next page, underneath the red "Do NOT purchase a copy of SUPER..." box, there is a "download and use" link. Click that
  • Nearly there! Towards the bottom of this third page, there is a "Download SUPER ©  setup file" link between the two rather large adverts! Click that and it will eventually download it. Note you probably can't use any download accelerators etc as it won't download properly.

As I was working out these instructions, I got a message on the final step where the download link should be, that the servers were busy. It said to wait for 10 seconds and it would redirect you - it took a bit longer than that, so be patient!

Once you've downloaded and installed it (believe me, it's worth it!) there's a whole host of options you can play with - basically you can convert just about any media file into virtually anything else with this program! E.g. I grabbed a couple of .flv (flash video) files from YouTube and encoded them to .3gp so I could view them on my phone!

Best of all, it's freeware, and there's no ads in the actual program, it's just a bit of a long slog to actually get the download itself lol!

And having re-read your initial request... yes it can do aspect ratio adjustments too :)
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 09:44:32 PM »

• Nearly there! Towards the bottom of this third page, there is a "Download SUPER ©  setup file" link between the two rather large adverts! .

Thanks Chris.
Without your instructions above I don't think I would have found the actual download link.

Just to make it possibly a little easier for any one else looking to download it.

"on the last step" go to the bottom of the last page, then come back up the screen "just a little"
The page may of been altered slightly as the download link is now beneath the two adverts.

Or try this link then scroll "nearly" to the bottom of the page.
http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html

(Hope you don't mind the slight alteration Chris)

edit:

Well I have it up and running on a test file, but what I don't understand is the "Video Scale Size"
How am I supposed to know either what I want or what size it should be set at?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 02:02:18 AM by oldfogy »

paul-49

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 06:45:06 PM »

I am Having a few problems with TMPGEnc. so I have found another program which converts to dvd, its called xillisoft avi to dvd converter
the speed not to bad, it converted and burnt to dvd in just over an hour

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 06:57:11 PM »

Yes it's supposed to be a nice program, although I have not tried it myself.

As a backup program for the "odd occasion" that Nero fails, which I will say is not very often I now use "ConvertXtoDVD".
Again it's an all in one transcoder and burner, although I prefer to save to the HDD and burn when it suites me.

Very, very simple to use, after initially setting your preferences, IE, PAL or NTSC and language, "THATS IT" select a file, (with subs if you want) press start and then wait, (obviously depending on your PC's CPU etc) on average about 30 minutes longer than with Nero, but always seems to make a 4+ GB DVD.

edit.
What size CPU do you have?
And which version of Xilisoft are you using.
Because that looks very impressive.

Xilisoft AVI to DVD Convertor 3.0.26
Certainly looks very impressive.

It completed a 358MB file in 43min 21second with a dvd of 1GB
Using the same file, Nero took, 60mins with a dvd of 2.3GB

So yes, nice one Paul.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 12:00:44 AM by oldfogy »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 01:58:59 AM »

Damn... I'm sure I replied here earlier, OF!

Basically to do what you were asking, the Video Scale should be set on NoChange, and the Aspect to 16:1.

If you wanted to reduce the size of a video (to send it via email or something) you could set the scale down to 320x240 or something.

Hope that helps :)
Chris

paul-49

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 08:10:47 AM »

I have a Intel core 2 duo E4500 and 2GB of ddr2 memory in this PC
and the version of xillisoft is 3.0.26 build-0314

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 11:21:09 AM »

I have a Intel core 2 duo E4500
That's the reason it's much faster than my 2.6 Intel with only 1GB RAM.
But it gets there in the end.

Thanks Chris.
I think this related to my other post, but never mind.
The original problem was that someone had managed to alter the resolution, although it was a .avi file it was showing as 720x576, and was playback was in fullscreen mode, obviously stretching the play-back.
But I eventually managed to re-code it fairly reasonably.

anything