Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSLStats with the Huawei HG658c  (Read 9966 times)

yuloni

• Just arrived
DSLStats with the Huawei HG658c
« on: April 09, 2015, 07:19:16 PM »

Hi folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster... some great topics and plenty of educational reading here so kudos to all

I've been using DSLstats v5.4 for some time now with a Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (an unbranded F1000 from Irish ISP eircom). It works well and I've been uploading stats to the MDWS website

A poster here (dmcdonnell), who helped us unbrand the Zyxel above, has also recently discovered a hack for enabling telnet access on the Huawei HG658c, which is the current ADSL/VDSL2 gateway issued by Vodafone, o2 and Imagine in Ireland. Enabling telnet involves unbranding the device using an alternative firmware image from the recently acquired o2 and then uploading a modified config file. Dermot can probably explain it better but I followed his advice, it's very easy and I now have telnet and shell access available

So, with that, I decided to try collecting stats from the gateway using DSLstats. The HG658c is not listed in the software as I believe it may be unique to Irish ISP's and obviously telnet is blocked by default but I played around selecting different models and settings and I managed to get it working

I have my login settings as follows:

• Modem/router model: Huawei HG658b
  • Modem/router is HG622 type: ticked
  • Telnet login name: !!Huawei
  • Telnet password: @HuaweiHgw
  • Telnet port: 23
  • Requires command to enter shell: ticked
  • Shell command: sh
  • CLI command prefix: xdslcmd

As above, these settings are working in both v5.4 and pre-release v5.4.3. All the stats seem to be gathering as expected. If I restart the software, there can be some trouble getting it to login and begin recording again but once it starts recording, it seems to stay recording without issue

Anyways, might it be possible to have the Huawei HG658c added to the list of supported models in DSLstats? While my settings listed above seem to work OK, I'd be happier knowing I was using officially supported settings from the software itself. If not, might there be more suitable parameters to use than those I have listed above?

Many thanks,

C

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLStats with the Huawei HG658c
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 07:32:16 PM »

Hi and welcome :)

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but I'm quite happy to take your word that DSLstats is working properly with it. All the Huawei models produce broadly compatible data, so once you've solved the login problem I would expect it to work. If you do come across any funnies, feel free to raise them here.

I'll add it to the compatibility list with some notes about unlocking and accessing it.
  Eric

yuloni

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 07:54:16 PM »

Hi and welcome :)

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but I'm quite happy to take your word that DSLstats is working properly with it. All the Huawei models produce broadly compatible data, so once you've solved the login problem I would expect it to work. If you do come across any funnies, feel free to raise them here.

I'll add it to the compatibility list with some notes about unlocking and accessing it.

Thanks for the welcome roseway,

The HG658c may just just be a numbering variant of a common Huawei board. For reference, it's as per the images below:

The most popular model of the HG658c in the Irish market at the moment would be that supplied from Vodafone, which comes with a restrictive, Vodafone branded firmware. The Vodafone firmware does not allow flashing of any other firmware through the GUI except an image from o2 Ireland (now Hutchison Three), which seems to be of the same code but it carries the original Huawei branding and is not as locked down. Both firmware images are the only two known to be available for this model and both were released to support vectoring on eircom's VDSL2 FTTC network

The telnet hack discovered by dmcdonnell involves first flashing to the unbranded firmware through the GUI, performing a hard reset and then either applying a command string through a traceroute tool in the GUI or uploading a pre-hacked configuration file to the device which Dermot made available. I've asked him if he might drop in and explain it a bit better but I'll include links to all the required pieces below

> Unbranded firmware from o2 Ireland (now Hutchison Three): HG658cV100R001C59B012_upgrade_main.bin

> Pre-hacked config file for upload: HG658c_Telnet_Enable.conf

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on how DSLstats performs and post if I notice any quibbles. Running continuosly without issue for a number of days now :)

C

coolirc

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 11:52:22 AM »

Hello anyone can reupload the firmware HG658cV100R001C59B012_upgrade_main.rar
the link is dead
thanks for help

anything