Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: DSLstats pre-release version 5.4.5 available for download  (Read 16116 times)

Axel Foley

• Memento audere semper
Re: DSLstats pre-release version 5.4.5 available for download
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »

Hi Eric,

I upgraded to 5.4.5 and I migrated DSLstats to a new desktop environment (LXQT) on my NAS. Previously I was using it under Debian chroot environment.

Everything's working perfectly, data is collected correctly from the modem, graphs are working, but I have a problem with MDWS upload (Unable to check at present error).

Here are a couple of screenshots:

I checked if curl is working from shell, the path is correct and curl works.

I don't know what else to check, so I though to ask for support here.

Hope we'll be able to solve this one. :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2015, 10:02:47 AM »

Hi Alex,

I've done some tweaks to the validation check, although I can't really explain your issue. If you'd like a test version to try, please let me know. Is your system 32-bit or 64-bit?
  Eric

Axel Foley

• Memento audere semper
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2015, 01:50:12 PM »

64bit. I'll test it immediately. Also: I tried version 5.4 and I have the same issue, so I don't think it's something introduced in 5.4.5.

In the test version, could you add some sort of debug writing (in the event log tab) to the validation check routine so we can see what's happening and where it fails exactly? I'm thinkg about some components missing at the OS level.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 03:09:14 PM by Axel Foley »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »

I'll add some debugging entries and give you a link a bit later.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2015, 03:56:39 PM »

You can download test version 5.4.7 (Linux 64-bit) here:

http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/files/dslstats64L-5.4.7-debug.tar.gz

It will add a few lines to the event log to indicate progress with the validation key check. If the check is successful it will only do this at the start of the recording session, or if you press the "Check now" key.
  Eric

Axel Foley

• Memento audere semper
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2015, 04:55:57 PM »

Same problem, here's the screenshot with the debug lines.

It looks like the communication with the MDWS site is working, but I don't know what happens after it receives the response.

Question: if I input a wrong validation key, is the error msg specific or it's always the same? I just tried a wrong validation key and the error msg is the same.

Let me know if I need to try else.

Axel Foley

• Memento audere semper
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2015, 05:01:06 PM »

Just noticed another error in the event log:

SSL error: hope it is related to the validation check so we can understand what's going on.

Something at the OS level (ssl libraries) as a prerequisite?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:03:43 PM by Axel Foley »

Axel Foley

• Memento audere semper
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2015, 05:31:35 PM »

Ok, I solved the "SSL error: TSendMail" error by installing the libssl-dev package on ubuntu. I didn't have the SSL/TSL option checked in the Alert tab, so it seems libssl-dev is needed for TSendMail even if SSL/TLS is not used.

The validation check issue is still there, so the 2 issues where not related.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:33:58 PM by Axel Foley »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2015, 06:37:01 PM »

OK, thanks, I'll investigate.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2015, 08:00:34 PM »

I think I've resolved it now. I was unnecessarily saving the result of the validation check to disk, and it was this which was triggering the exception. I'm not sure why this was, but I'm guessing some sort of permissions problem. This version doesn't make that unnecessary file save:

http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/files/dslstats64L-5.4.8-debug.tar.gz
  Eric

Axel Foley

• Memento audere semper
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2015, 09:43:06 PM »

Ok, just tested and it works now. :)

About the ssl issue with TSendMail, is it ok that the libssldev is required even if SSL/TLS is not checked in the options?

And the last issue that I have is the following: I noticed that many working files are not created under $HOME/.dslstats but in $HOME.
Check the image below, considering that I'm in the $HOME directory of the user I'm running dslstats with (user: ubuntu, $HOME: /home/ubuntu).
Some files are created under "$HOME/.dslstats" but many others (I counted 16) are created under $HOME.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:45:16 PM by Axel Foley »

Axel Foley

• Memento audere semper
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2015, 10:18:31 PM »

Ok, solved it. It was a directory permission issue. DSLstats created the .dslstats directory and the snapshosts subdirectory, but I don't know why, it wasn't able to write to them. I changed all permissions on .dslstats (and subdirs) to 775 and restarted. Now it seems to be able to write correctly.

This was the real problem also for the MDWS validation check I think. ;)

It could be useful to do a write-check on start to see if you are able to write to .dslstats and relevant subdirs, and write the outcome in the event log.

Eric, thanks for everything. I'll wait for the final version. :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2015, 11:01:59 PM »

Ok, just tested and it works now. :)

Thank you :)

About the ssl issue with TSendMail, is it ok that the libssldev is required even if SSL/TLS is not checked in the options?

I think it's a dependency of the third party library which I use for the email functions.

Ok, solved it. It was a directory permission issue. DSLstats created the .dslstats directory and the snapshosts subdirectory, but I don't know why, it wasn't able to write to them. I changed all permissions on .dslstats (and subdirs) to 775 and restarted. Now it seems to be able to write correctly.

This was the real problem also for the MDWS validation check I think. ;)

It could be useful to do a write-check on start to see if you are able to write to .dslstats and relevant subdirs, and write the outcome in the event log.

Yes, your analysis is right. On the occasional system, yours being an example, DSLstats fails to set up the .dslstats directory properly, and the various symptoms devolve from that. I'll give this some attention straight away.
  Eric

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2015, 09:52:06 AM »

Eric, what would be needed to support the ECI modems? I don't know whether to request the source so I could add support or add a script file to the modem to supply data in a format DSLStats can easily parse? In that case DSLStats would need to know the name & location of the script to invoke. I'm assuming it currently only supports Broadcom chipset modems that provide XDSLcmd --info and cousins?

Steve

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2015, 10:39:13 AM »

Eric, what would be needed to support the ECI modems? I don't know whether to request the source so I could add support or add a script file to the modem to supply data in a format DSLStats can easily parse? In that case DSLStats would need to know the name & location of the script to invoke. I'm assuming it currently only supports Broadcom chipset modems that provide XDSLcmd --info and cousins?

Steve

It would require a total rewrite of the data collection and processing parts of the program, i.e. nearly everything except the graph drawing parts. That's currently about 7000 lines of code.

The alternative of adapting it to import data from another program or script instead of doing its own data collection could work, but the task for the other program to convert the data would be enormous. It may not even be possible (do the ECI modems provide the equivalent of pbParams, for example?).

In my opinion it would be quicker and cleaner to start from scratch. I don't personally have the time or the energy to undertake the job either way, but I would try to help if another programmer took it on.
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5