Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: DSLstats pre-release version 5.4.5 available for download  (Read 16117 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLstats pre-release version 5.4.5 available for download
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2015, 07:12:15 AM »

It looks like I misspoke - the program now manages to display the SNRM-per-band graphs, and does an initial reading that varies by band, but then the graphs are just straight lines from that point onwards.

There are two ways in which that can happen:

- the values don't change, so the graphs are correct (unlikely but not impossible)
- the pbParams data is only read once, immediately after the start of recording

The second possibility is what happens if none of the optional items under "pbParams" are ticked, but in that case it shouldn't be showing the SNRM per band graphs.

In the next full release, which I'm hoping to put out soon, I've removed those options. On VDSL2 systems the pbParams data will always be read. This should remove the possibility of the second explanation occurring. I can't really see how it's happening now, but I would theorise that DSLstats is misbehaving in some way when a sample is not collected correctly, and perhaps this is a consequence of using a WiFi connection.
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2015, 07:53:15 AM »

In the next full release, which I'm hoping to put out soon, I've removed those options.

Were you intending to include uploading any of the G.INP related data to MDWS in your next full release?

If so, perhaps we could confer with tbailey2 & agree a) exactly what data to upload & b) which fields to use for both DSLStats and HG612 Modem Stats.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2015, 09:29:15 AM »

I'm ready to include G.INP data in the MDWS uploads when we have an agreement on the details. Let's confer with tbailey2 ASAP to establish what fields are available, then we can decide what to include.
  Eric

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2015, 11:28:28 AM »

I'm ready to include G.INP data in the MDWS uploads when we have an agreement on the details. Let's confer with tbailey2 ASAP to establish what fields are available, then we can decide what to include.

I've e-mailed you both with some ideas...
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2015, 06:55:11 PM »

It looks like I misspoke - the program now manages to display the SNRM-per-band graphs, and does an initial reading that varies by band, but then the graphs are just straight lines from that point onwards.

There are two ways in which that can happen:

- the values don't change, so the graphs are correct (unlikely but not impossible)
- the pbParams data is only read once, immediately after the start of recording

The second possibility is what happens if none of the optional items under "pbParams" are ticked, but in that case it shouldn't be showing the SNRM per band graphs.

In the next full release, which I'm hoping to put out soon, I've removed those options. On VDSL2 systems the pbParams data will always be read. This should remove the possibility of the second explanation occurring. I can't really see how it's happening now, but I would theorise that DSLstats is misbehaving in some way when a sample is not collected correctly, and perhaps this is a consequence of using a WiFi connection.

Up until last week, the values were always changing in the per-band graphs; when something changed in the overall SNRM graph, there would often be a similar change in at least one of the bands in the per-band graph. It would be strange for there to now be changes in the overall graph, but no corresponding change to per-band.

The WiFi connection was being used back then too. Things do go wrong with it - but I then see a thin line in the speed and overall SNRM graphs, to denote the failure to sample. Looking back, the per-band graphs never seem to show the same thin lines.

In my configuration, the "SNRM per band" item is ticked.

Note: In adding graphs as attachments, I just realised that DSLstats might well be displaying the per-band graphs, but it isn't saving them as part of the automatic snapshots. However, they are saved when I hit the button in the GUI. Lo and behold, the option to auto-save them had turned off on the config screen.

These graphs were being auto-saved before, so whatever change I made (or happened anyway) means this tick has been lost. I've just turned it back on.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2015, 07:55:13 PM »

Just a post to let you know if i change the snapshot to a different directory like my pictures on the PC version i'll get a Division by Zero error the next time i run DSLstats from a cold reboot.

The way i fixed this was to stop recording stats and press ok when the error message pops up and change the snapshot directory is was originally using and close down dslstats and press start recording.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 10:55:23 PM »

Thanks, I'll check that out shortly.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2015, 12:34:11 PM »

Sorry, but I don't use Windows myself. What "Scheduled task" is this?

[Edit] The message to which this refers seems to have been deleted, but I'll leave this and the subsequent messages.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 03:56:09 PM by roseway »
  Eric

Tyke

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2015, 01:27:36 PM »

Sorry, but I don't use Windows myself. What "Scheduled task" is this?
It's the task that runs the stats every minute to update the GUI.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2015, 02:03:47 PM »

I think you're confusing DSLstats with HG612 Modem Stats.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2015, 09:53:41 PM »

I am afraid to say i am still getting the division by zero error on pc going have uninstall the 5.4.5 and purge the user\appdata\local and re-install dslstats 5.4.5 of will lose all setting.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2015, 10:53:31 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that. I've spent some time today trying to reproduce the problem without success. The only way I could get the program to misbehave (using a Win 8.1 laptop) was if I changed the snapshot folder to one where ordinary users don't have write permission, for example C:\windows.

If it's not too late, you can avoid losing your configuration settings by editing dslstats.ini manually before running it. Find the section headed "[snapshots]" and delete the line starting "Snapshotdir=" (or just delete everything after the =). The next time you run DSLstats the snapshot folder will revert to its default.
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2015, 11:43:46 PM »

It's to late and i'll know tomorrow if what i've done stops the error coming back.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2015, 10:59:22 PM »

It's to late and i'll know tomorrow if what i've done stops the error coming back.

No errors to-day and PC and DSLstats & HG612_Modem_stats have been working away for over 11+ hours  :thumbs:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2015, 11:08:11 PM »

Thanks for confirming that. :)
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5