Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: DSLstats pre-release version 5.4.5 available for download  (Read 16118 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLstats pre-release version 5.4.5 available for download
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 11:04:38 PM »

The reason I changed the archive format from .zip to .tar.gz was because people were using Windows to unzip the archive, and in doing so the executable file was losing its executable permission. I thought that the .tar.gz archives would get extracted on the Raspberry Pi, which would preserve the executable permission.

In retrospect, all this achieved was to make it more difficult for people. I've now replaced it with a .zip file.

Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 04:59:07 PM »

Does this version upload to MDWS as the RPi is up and running here as the event log says
unable to upload to MyDSLWebstats data (file "upload13.rpi" missing there are loads of these events.

Edit: found the problem i had used the Icon on the desktop to run DSLstats but this time i executed the program from the folder.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 05:39:44 PM by NewtronStar »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 06:42:47 PM »

Yes, DSLstats expects to be run from the folder its files are in. If you want to run it from somewhere else you need to create a little launch script for it.
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 08:15:24 PM »

Yes, DSLstats expects to be run from the folder its files are in. If you want to run it from somewhere else you need to create a little launch script for it.

It's not so straight forward like ms windows but at least i'm starting to get the hang of editing files and scripts in Debian Wheezy.

Will tony be setting up new parameters on MDWS to show the new g.inp stats that are available ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 10:59:43 PM »

The script should take this form:

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
cd <the folder where the DSLstats files are>  [e.g. cd /home/pi/dslstats]
./dslstats

Some of the G.INP data will be added to MDWS, but it's not yet decided which data to include - there's an enormous amount of it. :)
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 11:34:43 PM »

there's an enormous amount of it. :)

I know it's like learning a new set of broadband rules all over again and thanks for the script that will help.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 02:28:40 PM »

I upgraded to this new version of the program, so it can display my G.INP data, but I'm encountering a few oddities. Some are probably due to this being the first version for G.INP, but some might be because of problems I've been encountering with power here, which has killed the computer 3 or 4 times.

1. When starting the program, then hitting the "start recording" button, then waiting for the first set of samples, I'd cause a crash. The pop-up window would inform me, and ask if I wanted to continue with the potential of using corrupt data.

If I allowed the program to continue, I could see that the graphs for Hlog and QLN stopped at around tone 250 (and stayed that way forever). The bitloading graph stopped at around the same point (with all bars coloured blue), but would fix itself after the the next sample.

This happened a few times, but it has stopped now, so I can't get a screenshot of the pop-up window. But I do have snapshots of the initial graphs.

2. I always used to have the "SNR per band" graphs ticked, and they'd be included in the tabs. I'd see plenty of variation, too. On starting 5.4.5, this tab seemed to be not present after startup, and needed to be re-configured.

However, when it did appear, I seemed to get one of two behaviours:
a) I get a historical line (coloured for U2 or D3), as though all previous samples were an identical value ... but the new samples start to vary correctly
b) I get the same kind of historical line, but all future sample stay identical - so I get one single straight line (coloured for U2 or D3).

I don't know if (a) is expected, but (b) is definitely wrong ... the same values logged on HMS show variations that ought to be visible.

On my most recent startup, the graph was present as normal, and values were logged independently, correctly.

I'm now wondering if this got affected by a change I made in the "Items to Monitor" screen; by default, (under pbParams), the "autodetect" option is ticked but greyed out, and I have had the "SNRM per band" option ticked. I think that, on first starting 5.4.5, I added a tick to "Stats per band" before starting the recording.

IIRC, I couldn't see any new stats, and I reckon this triggered the "SNRM per band" setting to get mixed up.

3. The G.INP graphs don't follow the configuration of the other graphs

I have my graphs configured to show 8 hours, and a 3-pixel line. The G.INP graphs are 2 hours, with 1-pixel line width.

4. The G.INP graphs don't scroll back-and-forth correctly

I can use the mouse wheel to scroll left and right, but once I've sent the viewport towards the left, I can't get it all the way back to the right.

It does revert to the right at the next sample, though.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 03:53:18 PM »

Taking those points one by one:

1. I'm just thinking aloud here. It would seem that something caused the first sample after pressing the green button to contain corrupted or incomplete data. So the connection mode was perhaps wrongly detected as ADSL, with various consequences. The reason that the HLog and QLN graphs didn't recover with subsequent samples is that they are only read once per recording session (or again after a resync).

The warning popup indicates that an untrapped exception occurred, and as it's not happening now it's going to be difficult to trace it. I assume that you're connected by ethernet, not WiFi, by the way. I'll see if I can come up with any ideas.

2. This looks as though it's another consequence of the first issue, as it's now working correctly. I've never known an instance of the SNRM per band tab failing to appear on a restart, and the other weird effects look like corrupted data.

3. I agree. That's a detail I forgot to implement. It's easily fixed.

4. I've been aware that scrolling has some imperfections, but as the position is restored with each new sample I haven't given it a lot of attention. It's on the list of things to do.
[Later] I've realised that scrolling depends on the hours per page value, so the main issue here is another result of item 3. With that fixed, item 4 will be fixed too.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:57:22 AM by roseway »
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 07:28:30 PM »

Roseway with 5.4.5 i am deffo seeing odd stuff like unable to connect to modem this is on the PC and the RPI last night just stopped logging with the upload13.rpi error.

I pause it and then start recording again and all works again i

Here is the event log for the PC version

16 Apr 2015 17:13:45   Configuration files stored in C:\Users\Colin\AppData\Local\dslstats\
16 Apr 2015 17:13:45   Snapshot folder is C:\Users\Colin\Documents\dslatats graphs\
16 Apr 2015 17:13:48   Recording started

16 Apr 2015 17:13:55   IP address is now *.**.***.***
16 Apr 2015 17:27:50   Unable to login to modem/router
16 Apr 2015 17:33:50   Unable to login to modem/router
16 Apr 2015 17:44:50   Unable to login to modem/router
16 Apr 2015 17:53:50   Unable to login to modem/router
16 Apr 2015 18:00:50   Unable to login to modem/router
16 Apr 2015 18:06:50   Unable to login to modem/router
16 Apr 2015 18:53:50   Unable to login to modem/router
16 Apr 2015 18:58:55   Timeout while retrieving stats
16 Apr 2015 18:58:55   No stats received
16 Apr 2015 19:08:50   Unable to login to modem/router
16 Apr 2015 19:09:46   Recording stopped
16 Apr 2015 19:09:47   Recording started

16 Apr 2015 19:09:55   IP address is now *.**.***.***
edit: spoke to soon
16 Apr 2015 19:18:49   Unable to login to modem/router
16 Apr 2015 19:25:49   Unable to login to modem/router
16 Apr 2015 19:33:49   Unable to login to modem/router
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 07:39:52 PM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2015, 09:48:17 PM »

A reboot of the HH5A (router) seems to have fixed the error's so i'll stand back and continue to monitor for any issues.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 10:47:26 PM »

It's certainly one possible cause. I'll wait to hear how it goes.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 10:24:52 AM »

@WWWombat:

2. This looks as though it's another consequence of the first issue, as it's now working correctly. I've never known an instance of the SNRM per band tab failing to appear on a restart, and the other weird effects look like corrupted data.

To expand on what I said above:

The "autodetect" option under pbParams is always ticked and greyed out. This was meant to indicate that the option is always enabled and can't be disabled.
The "Stats per band" option is now a pointless option. Originally it determined whether the pbParams tab was visible under "Telnet data", but it's clear that there's no reason to hide it (except on ADSL connections). I'll remove the option in the next release. Enabling it wouldn't have been responsible for the issues you had.
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 10:58:31 PM »

It's certainly one possible cause. I'll wait to hear how it goes.

No issues over the last 24 hours so i'll put this down to an odd router problem  :fingers:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2015, 11:11:07 PM »

No issues over the last 24 hours so i'll put this down to an odd router problem  :fingers:

Thanks for that. I'll cross my fingers as well. :)
  Eric

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2015, 02:35:54 AM »

1. I'm just thinking aloud here. It would seem that something caused the first sample after pressing the green button to contain corrupted or incomplete data. So the connection mode was perhaps wrongly detected as ADSL, with various consequences. The reason that the HLog and QLN graphs didn't recover with subsequent samples is that they are only read once per recording session (or again after a resync).

Ah yes - detecting it as ADSL would indeed explain a limitation of 250ish tones.

The warning popup indicates that an untrapped exception occurred, and as it's not happening now it's going to be difficult to trace it. I assume that you're connected by ethernet, not WiFi, by the way. I'll see if I can come up with any ideas.
Actually it is connected via WiFi at the moment ... either direct to the 8800NL's wifi, or via a Devolo powerline wifi adapter that then plugs into the modem via ethernet.

I do swap the connection around somewhat.

It looks like I misspoke - the program now manages to display the SNRM-per-band graphs, and does an initial reading that varies by band, but then the graphs are just straight lines from that point onwards.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5