Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: G.INP on ECI cabs  (Read 36132 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: G.INP on ECI cabs
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 09:01:36 PM »

I didnt get a choice of modem. I had to get the HH5 (which apparently as the same problems the ECI modem has, and it was Kelly's who "installed" (I use that term very loosely!) my fibre connection.

I would suspect most people have the HH5, so I wonder how many are Type A like mine, and are now suffering problems.

BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 09:03:50 PM »

I'd say the majority of HH5's are Type A and every one connected to a Huawei cabinet has an interleaved connection.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »

Perhaps veering off-topic somewhat but I am always (1) critical (2) suspicious of any information that originates from Thinkbroadband. That does not mean that I totally ignore the output of Saffy and others but I do look very carefully at the original source -- if identifiable.

I agree - its not Saffy I doubt.  In this case it would be the source. Probably someone who sits behind a desk all day and wouldn't know the difference between them, nvm seen one.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

derekdel

• Just arrived
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 06:56:19 PM »

Hi, First post be gentle :)

I have a ECI cabinet with an ECI modem.
I have read the posts on here on how to unlock HG612 modem and the not so easy way of unlocking the ECI modem.

I cant see the stats on my ECI modem so how will I know the update has been pushed through?
If I remove my ECI modem and fit the [ordered] HG612 modem I'm going to unlock will my original ECI modem still update at any time I reconnect it in the future?
Great forum by the way :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 08:10:47 PM »

Hi derek and welcome :)

I cant see the stats on my ECI modem so how will I know the update has been pushed through?

Very difficult. If you cant see your stats unless you notice an increase/decrease then you likely won't know. 

The 'incompatible' g.inp modems showed sufficient degradation of line facilities for people to notice.  Whether BT will put on hold plans to continue to roll out g.inp on the ECI's or not I dont know.  BT seem to be keeping very quiet atm and the only info we have seems to infer that one dept at BT doesnt know what another dept are doing.:(

If I remove my ECI modem and fit the [ordered] HG612 modem I'm going to unlock will my original ECI modem still update at any time I reconnect it in the future?

It will depend if it has the upgraded firmware or not.  Unfortunately because these modems are so locked down you have no way of knowing which f/w version is on there.  If it has the latest update ie to prevent Issue 1, then I suspect it should be usable, but you will still see Issue 2 until an update occurs.

Because so far all has gone quiet on the ECI rollout I think we may just have to wait and see what BT do next.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

derekdel

• Just arrived
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 08:37:27 PM »

Thanks kitz

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 09:05:45 PM »

yw.   

I was at one point going to put my ECI modem on to see if it gets a f/w update, but because of its lower sync I didnt really want to leave it on for an unspecified time not ever knowing if it has upgraded or not.  Because Ive not used it for well over 18 months, Ive resigned myself to the fact it is now just a doorstop. :/
-----

Ragnarok

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 10:23:07 AM »

Had an update on my ECI /r modem. I rebooted and left Btagent running, It's still unlocked too!!!!! Not sure if it's just a software update or G.inp implementation but my stats look significantly better than before. looks like some of the commands have changed.

The full termal view is in the txt my my stats have improved quite alot.

key things this appears on the terminal after logging in

+-------------------------------------------+
 | Lantiq UGW Software UGW-5.4 on XRX288 CPE |
 +-------------------------------------------+

using the command

btagent_arc_version getstat

name = [InternetGatewayDevice.DeviceInfo.SoftwareVersion] : value= [3.00.09] : found=[1]
 name = [InternetGatewayDevice.DeviceInfo.Manufacturer] : value= [Arcadyan Technology Corp] : found=[1]
 name = [InternetGatewayDevice.DeviceInfo.ModelName] : value= [BFocusV2FubR] : found=[1]
 name = [InternetGatewayDevice.DeviceInfo.ModemFirmwareVersion] : value= [5.6.7.5.1.6] : found=[1]
 name = [InternetGatewayDevice.DeviceInfo.AdditionalSoftwareVersion] : value= [0.09] : found=[1]

and key stats

name = [InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.DataPath] : value= [Fast] : found=[1]
 name = [InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.InterleaveDepth] : value= [1] : found=[1]
 name = [InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.UpstreamCurrRate] : value= [20000000] : found=[1]
 name = [InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.DownstreamCurrRate] : value= [67000000] : found=[1]
 name = [InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.UpstreamMaxRate] : value= [24995342] : found=[1]
 name = [InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.DownstreamMaxRate] : value= [75245248] : found=[1]
 name = [InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.UpstreamNoiseMargin] : value= [89] : found=[1]
 name = [InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.DownstreamNoiseMargin] : value= [83] : found=[1]

Edit thinks to EJS and currytop I was able to figure out how to find details on how to check the if G.INP is enabled, I think it's in the bReTxEnable label.  These are exactly what i entered at the command line from the # and the output.

root@ltqcpe:~# /opt/lantiq/bin/dsl_cpe_pipe.sh "lfsg 1"
nReturn=0 nDirection=1 bTrellisEnable=1 bBitswapEnable=1 bReTxEnable=0 bVirtualNoiseSupport=0 b20BitSupport=0

root@ltqcpe:~# /opt/lantiq/bin/dsl_cpe_pipe.sh "lfsg 0"
nReturn=0 nDirection=0 bTrellisEnable=1 bBitswapEnable=1 bReTxEnable=0 bVirtualNoiseSupport=0 b20BitSupport=0

Looks like just a software update so far!!

I wonder if there is an update  for the ECI /b stashed away too to, but it's been left to rot.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:57:14 AM by Ragnarok »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 12:58:31 PM »

Thanks ragnarok.

Can I just confirm that when you say you had an update, that you mean the modem had been in use for a while and should have previously been up to date.. and that a brand new update was rolled last nite?
-----

Ragnarok

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 02:06:21 PM »

For clarity,

I normally ran a HG612 and this had been on the shelf for a long time. I put this modem back in to make sure it caught any ReTX/G.INP updates. When I do run this modem I normally have bt Agent disabled. I tried all last week to get bt agent to run via the command line  ( /bin/sh /BT/BTAgent/RO/btagentstart.sh ) but it crapped out after a day and never updated, no matter how many times I tried.

I rebooted on Monday, left bt agent running finally got an update this morning around 4am. The update also did not affect the unlocking of telnet access to the modem. I access the modem using DDWRT and a subnet access to the modem.

I'm not sure when this update started rolling out, but the update is out there. It looks ready for ReTx.

Also, the /opt/lantiq/bin/dsl_cpe_pipe.sh "lfsg 1" and /opt/lantiq/bin/dsl_cpe_pipe.sh "lfsg 0" commands definitely did not work before the update.

In future I won't be disabling btagent on the ECI. I may keep it in as the line looks like it has more SNR margin than than HG612 after last nights update.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:59:22 PM by Ragnarok »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 08:23:08 PM »

Thanks for the clarification :)
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 10:41:09 PM »

So it just a normal update to firmware as the ECI modem has been out of commission for over a year or so  :-\

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 01:21:05 AM »

This isn't nothing new. I've also seen the above (retx stuff) on mine some months ago unfortunately. However, another update soon or very recently is possible.

Dray

• Kitizen

Ragnarok

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 09:15:44 PM »

I'd say it's more likely, the modem looks like it's behaving better. Some commented that having seen RETX enable=1 and

Considering the issues most vendors are having with lantiq hardware and making it fully compatible with G.inp, it's highly unlikely even in co-operation with lantiq BT got this update right first time, the update may be an old one too which would make it even more likely there are RETX incompatibilities.

I find this whole G.inp situation bizarre, it sounds like it's the norm for many other networks around the world. We know BT like to be slow and get it right, heck they even set stringent standards that modems/routers had to meet, but still ended up having big issues with lantiq hardware. I'm amazed the ECI modem issues never came up in testing, and it never crossed their minds that Lantic/ECI modems might be used on Huawei cabs and tested anyway.

There are some round here who seem to have a much better grasp of the issues than BT's PR department anyway, BT's also huge so it's probably a bureaucratic nightmare to get anything done or rolled out, I can imagine many of there technicians/engineers know exactly what's happening and are just as frustrated as some of us are.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

anything