Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Major line problem  (Read 25701 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Major line problem
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2008, 06:05:07 PM »

Thats excellent news mike.  :dance:

So glad that they finally managed to find a decent pair. !
Those stats look excellent - fingers crossed for you that all remains well this evening, which will be the final test.
Then its just waiting for your IP profile to catch up.

Keep us informed  :thumbs:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2008, 12:53:06 PM »

I would suspect the "old style connector" is whats refered to as a "Blue beannie". It's an old design of crimp which should normaly be fine, certainly for voice usage. Now with broadband technology the same crimps can sometimes cause an issue.
If we go into a joint then we have to change any blue beannies we find to the current crimps,(other wise if the auditor checks afterwards and finds we left some we get what's called a 10 point failure :no: A big slap) the only exceptions is if we're in a joint with so many you'll spend all day changing them over without soring the tasks you have for the day.
Gradually there's less and less of the network with a this potential lurking. most blue beans I've come across don't cause any problems, but the odd one sits there causeing an issue with no clue it's the culprit until you change it over then bingo, dsl is better. Iv'e changed about 30 pairs yesterday while working on a provision for one line in the morling. I would think none of the ones I came accross would have caused any difference however you never know and it's one of the many continuos things constantly being done in the network to improve it ;D

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2008, 06:22:25 PM »

A big thank you to Ezzer, I completly forgot to bring such matters of line failure to the attention of the Auditors.

Just had a visit today from an extremly refreshing Openreach chappy, probably the only one with the right attitude Ive met "on the Tools" for more than six months.

Big question will he get the support he needs or should be given??????
Will tell more later.
Have a great day all.

MikeS

« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2008, 09:53:56 PM »

Bit over two days into the new line.  So far looking good.  Initially sync'd at 5200 and 6dB, just about made it through the evening drop but errors were racking up and SN margin was hovering around 2dB, generally my Speedtouch drops at about 1dB.  Rebooted at start of noisy period, sync'd at 5000, dropped about 3.5 - 4dB during evening period but sync held, errors not too bad.  Rebooted again farther in to noisy period at 4600 so far dropped 2.5-3 dB, which should hold with acceptable errors.  That will give me an IP profile of 4000 which I'm happy with, actually I'm already at it thanks to some nice BT man.  Overall I'm happy, stilll time to fall flat on my face but I'm optimistic.  For the record my router is showing an attenuation of 54dB, please note Plusnet.  In general it is looking marginally better than my previous connection prior to the fault. 

So eventually got back to where I was, but took a month plus two goes at the high level complaints team.  Have to say that once BT took it seriously they did a good solid job which took them well over the 2 hour job limit.  Not that I'm complaining about that but it does point to the limitations of the 2 hour job limit.  I still strongly feel that BT after a line fault should aim to return your line to approximately the same performance level for voice and DSL as it was prior to the fault as a matter of policy.

Thanks to everyone for the sympathy and suggestions. 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2008, 02:17:36 AM »

Excellent!

I am so pleased that you got there in the end Mike - you damn well deserve it after all youve been through. 
Lets hope it stays like this - even though you are still appear to be getting a largish variation in SNR, I think that under the circumstances its probably acceptable.  I know you've done all you can at your end, and unfortunately some lines do just need that bit more. :/

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us - and although we couldnt physically do anything for you, there have been some of us soooooo wanting this to be resolved for you.

A couple of things have come out of this thread.
  • The 2 hour time isnt always long enough and sometimes if the engineers were allowed to spend that lil bit longer then a satisfactory response could perhaps occur sooner.
  •   The ridiculous situation where a change of pair disregarded the previous FTR set on your line.

I also feel that the ISP should have more power to reject cases where there are such variations in FTRs across lines and take this further with BTw.  :-X

Hope you have a good easter and that you can relax with your family now this appears to be resolved.  :thumbs:

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

MikeS

« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2008, 06:40:54 PM »

Kitz thanks for kind thoughts and for your Plusnet prods.  SN margin is currently holding at 3.5dB during the noisy period which should be OK from past experience, and consequently I stand a good chance of holding my 4K IP profile.   Relax over Easter, I wish - decorating the kitchen and watching the snow flurries.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2008, 11:17:33 PM »

heh - enjoy the decorating then :D
-----
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]