Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Major line problem  (Read 25735 times)

orbrey

• ISP Rep
  • Just arrived
Re: Major line problem
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2008, 09:56:51 AM »

Hi there,

Apologies for the hassle, we can see there is a fault on the line given the stats and are pushing this back to BT to get the jumpers checked as of this morning. If there's nothing shown then the likely next step will be an engineer visit.
Kind regards, Matt Taylor
Plusnet Digital Care team

MikeS

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2008, 01:08:11 PM »

From Matt Taylor at Plusnet - Apologies for the hassle, we can see there is a fault on the line given the stats and are pushing this back to BT to get the jumpers checked as of this morning -

AT 11.05 I recieved the following email from Plusnet

Yesterday BT reset the profile on your line for us, this set the Download Line rate to 750k, and we saw you synching at approximately 900k.

This morning I have retested and this is still showing the same, so at this point in time the best advice I can give you is to remain connected, as after 3 days of solid connection you may see the speed uplift further.

This is not a definite thing that will happen though, as your SNR Margin is already quite low, but this is the best advice I can give.

Other than this, the alternative would be to have your line changed to a fixed rate 1MB service, which could allow you speeds of 1MB but no higher.

Unfortunately we cannot request BT do any changes to your jumpering or wiring as there is no fault with either of these.  It would appear that the PSTN repair work that was done to fix your fault voice line has changed you to a different pair on your line which has increased the attenuation values as you are now effectively on a different line.

Now although this is a different line, and the values are higher, it is not a faulty line and is working correctly, just that the line itself may now take a more extended route to your exchange, or have more joins in it, thereby increasing the attenuation levels.

If this is something you are not happy with and want changing, I can only suggest you contact your telephone line provider to have the line changed again, but as there is no fault you would in all likelihood be charged for this to be done.

For the moment I would advise to keep a connection ongoing for at least 3 days and then monitor the speeds that you receive after this period.

As a matter of fact prior to this incident my line attenuation was 53/54dB.  It is currently 53dB.  I'm beginning to feel as if I'm in a Monty Python sketch !

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2008, 01:54:40 PM »

>> As a matter of fact prior to this incident my line attenuation was 53/54dB.  It is currently 53dB. 

Is that a typo?  From your stats earlier in the thread from your router, your atten was actually showing as

DS Line Attenuation   48dB

Something is amiss if a 48dB line is only syncing at around 900kbps.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

MikeS

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2008, 02:27:07 PM »

No, not a typo, when the incident occured the line attenuation improved to 48dB from the normal 53dB.  There was further work not related to my problem (planned maintenace by BT) on connection boxes on my line.  After that the attenuation went back to the historic 53dB value

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »

Something is amiss if a 48dB line is only syncing at around 900kbps.

With an SNR of 6db.

There is something wrong with the line and i believe it is the jumpering or the line itself. Now the ISP can request BTW to look at the line but it should be passed to the complex faults team also known as CFI once all the quality gates are met. If CFI then reject it, you can have the fault escelated, however this will be upto BTW and the ISP reps to decide.

Leo
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2008, 06:38:15 PM »

1st of all the comment "we can see there is a fault on the line given the stats". Hello.......... :idea:

Although given the details in this particular case I would say it almost definately would be part of the network causing the problem, stats do not define a line fault. The only way anyone can definately state there is a line fault within the BTw network is by physicaly testing the line between nte5 and the mdf.
This suddenly made things clear when I saw that statement as it causes angst when a end user states "But my isp said there is definately a fault on the line" when an engineer is testing outside of the BTw network. :hmm:

2nd I wouldn't suspect the attenuation of causing the speed issue of 1mb or less on a rate adaptive service with a loss of <60db. I would look at snr/errors issues first. In my experienc a change from mid 50's to mid upper 40's would affect the actual data rate but not as far as a region of 1mb or less. :-\

3rd Jumpering problems don't typicaly cause speed issues, loss of sync or incorrect CBUK perhaps. If I had this fault, given the history I would firstly be looking at the cable lenght with the changed pair and compairing APtS test results at the joint toward the  end user after making the customary test from the nte test socket.  :)

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2008, 06:43:27 PM »

Hi Ezzer,
What's your background? Do you work for BT?

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2008, 06:51:02 PM »

Yes, broadband and "proper" faults. Just managed to sign off (some of you think you got problems, try the work manager set up engineers have to use >:()

Other wise the heating system in the building has just burst out some demonic loud sound, >:D everyone will find my finger nail marks in the ceiling tomorrow  :scare:. I'm off home now at last,,,yay

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2008, 07:07:52 PM »

Yes, broadband and "proper" faults. Just managed to sign off (some of you think you got problems, try the work manager set up engineers have to use >:()

Other wise the heating system in the building has just burst out some demonic loud sound, >:D everyone will find my finger nail marks in the ceiling tomorrow  :scare:. I'm off home now at last,,,yay

That explains a lot. However as i am sure you can appreciate Ezzer, in my experience if the OpenReach engineer does not feel it is needed then they do not need to do the work. If this is the case then having the fault escalated with CFI and a Team leader can help get you to where someone who actually cares is looking after the fault.

If you feel i am wrong then please correct me Ezzer, it is just my opinion.

Leo
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2008, 07:14:15 PM »

I agree totally with the comments immediatly given above by Azzaka and EZZER.

BT, OFCOM BT Openreach, and erven Bt Wholesale could learn an awful lot if the put the above messages into all Engineers front note pages.

The public at large would benefit enormously as a reslt.

Will they learn I doubt it very much as the culture they own in their body just cannot accept they THEY could learn.

MikeS

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2008, 08:28:14 PM »

I spoke with Orbrey from Plusnet over the phone.  The situation seems to be (correct me if I am wrong Orbrey) BTw have said my line, currently sync'ing at 900K is performing satisfactorily relative to their fault threshold level (for a line sync'ing at 900K).  The fact that it used to sync at 4500 is irrelevant, I have a new line since the pair swop.  Consequently there is no issue for them to address.  This is from my perspective totally ludicrous, as I have a simplistic view - they broke my line they should fix it.  I emailed BT's CEO and he (or more likely a minion) has referred it to the 'high level complaints team' sounds impressive, but I'm running out of breath to hold.   

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2008, 09:24:25 PM »

The high level complaints team can produce a result, so though I wouldn't suggest holding your breath you might just cross your fingers. :)
  Eric

MikeS

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2008, 04:48:48 PM »

I think you were right Roseway.  An engineer appeared this morning - the good news.  The bad news his testing equipment packed up after 10 mins or so.  He will reappear on Stormy monday - not a nice day for line work if the forecast is anywhere near right

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2008, 04:55:19 PM »

>> his testing equipment packed up after 10 mins or so

Typical!! :wall:

Oh well, with any luck, bad weather may even help to, how can I put it, show the problem up on your line.
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2008, 05:15:12 PM »

:'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6