Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Major line problem  (Read 25698 times)

MikeS

Re: Major line problem
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 09:48:39 AM »

Well, 8 days on from the fault, still at 160K.  Plusnet were talking about getting the line back in training mode, as that would confirm whether it was a DSLAM issue or not.  Why does it take so long, it is becoming a serious pain.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »

It seems to be a bit of a pain for ISPs to get BT to do this, for some reason.

Is there evidence on your ticket that it's been escalated to BT yet?
Chris

MikeS

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 01:11:19 PM »

Last comment was on Sunday morning the 24th Feb

The Question 24232031 has been released from hold and sent back to BOT - DSL Logged Faults - Speed

Your fault Ticket has now been taken off hold.

This has now been forwarded to the relevant support team. We will carry on investigating your problem and your open fault will be updated as soon as more information is available.

[INTERNAL]

Ticket now off hold. Please action.

Had a phone call, I think on Sunday, to say they were going to try to get my line back into training mode.  Don't know if that has been done, if it has it obviously hasn't worked

MikeS

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 09:39:06 PM »

Well I'm still on 160K sync after raising the issue on the 21st Feb.  The Plusnet response to my asking what progress has been made with the issue was

The broadband fault has been closed by the supplier. Should problems re-occur, please restart the Broadband Fault Checker.

Are they deliberately winding me up.   I'm regretting making positive remarks about Plusnet in the past.   This is pathetic customer service.  I've asked three times since Wednesday what progress is being made - no reply to three emails - now I'm told the issue has been closed. This is really totally crass customer service.   Plusnet you should be ashamed of yourselves

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 01:11:29 AM »

That's pretty poor actually.

Unfortunately BT will close off line faults - it seems that the PN faults procedure relies on the supplier getting the resolution correct before closing it off.. as it *should* be a reasonably automatable process.

However they really ought to check with the customer that the problem has been resolved before closing the ticket.. to not do so is bad customer relations. I hope they aren't focussing on ticket closure targets too much :(

When you say you've had no reply to three emails... do you mean you were adding to your ticket question and not getting anywhere?

Chris

MikeS

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 08:39:03 AM »

I was adding to my question, asking what progress was being made with my problem.  I simply don't understand why the fault was closed by BTW when at 160K my sync speed is below the BTW acceptable performance level for DSL, nor can I understand why Plusnet have not been more aggressive in pursuing this issue.  I pay line rental to BT and it's about time that they accepted that the line, in a great many cases, is used for voice and dsl and to fix one and 'break' the other is not acceptable. 

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 03:24:04 PM »

Just read this thread for the first time - what a nightmare  :'(
Shame the PN rep that showed some interest, seems to have gone quiet.

ADSL is such a fragile product - especially for those of us on longer lines.
Hopefully in a few years the ISPs and BTw etc. will get their act together and provide better support.

Keep us up to date with the latest - even though it might take you a while to post!

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 12:04:21 PM »

I simply don't understand why the fault was closed by BTW when at 160K my sync speed is below the BTW acceptable performance level for DSL

No, it really annoys me, the whole level of BT involvement in the ADSL chain, and their lack of support on issues such as this, was partly why I went to Be.

Having said that, PlusNet are usually very good at pushing faults back to BT when they are incorrectly closed. Dunno what's going on in your case :(
Chris

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 04:09:54 PM »

The lower threshold breach will be due to an underground cabling fault or even the line card at the exchange.

I can not say why Plusnet have not bothered with the reply, however if you PM me with the details you have received thus far then i will look at what might be causing the issue and the best way for you and Plusnet to approach BT with it.

Leo
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

Jameseh

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 04:30:54 PM »

I believe that this is something that Matt Taylor was handling earlier today.

MikeS

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 09:06:20 PM »

Well the DSLAM has been reset to training mode.  I'm sync'ing at somewhere between 330 and 670 dependent on router with an SN margin of 5.5dB, the Speedtouch now connects and gives the higher sync.  However still a long way away from the 4000-4500 I was getting before the pair swop.  As a coincidence had 4 BT guys today pumping out the connection box at the bottom of my road and redoing the connections, so it doesn't look like that was the issue.  Guess I'm now waiting for an engineer to work his magic.   Still irritated by the increasingly artificial split between phone and DSL which BT seems to insist on, I'm paying for a line which supports both POTS and DSL.   

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008, 02:12:00 AM »

Hi Mike

Sorry Ive not been around for the past few days - therefore am quite surprised that this hasnt got any further forward :/

To me, what you said on the 20th seems the most telling
My line went pear shaped day before yesterday,  voice line crackly, dsl dropping.  Today BT came and switched pairs and cleaned up the voice line. [.... /snip /... ]

For me the issue was that immediately the pairs were swopped my sync went down to 160 from 3000+.  I'm coming out of the master socket via a face plate splitter directly to the router, nothing had changed my end in equipment terms before and after the swop.

If your target SNR has increased from 6dB to 9dB, ... whilst setting the line back into training mode, may help you get a slightly higher sync rate.. and is something that I suppose has to be tried.  I dont see that it would change things back up to 3000+ ...  IMHO thats rather a large difference between the sync speeds for it to be anything to do with any profile that may be set on your line :/

The fact that its below the lower threshold breach should start ringing alarm bells somewhere too.  To me the "new pair" obviously has a problem somewhere.

However still a long way away from the 4000-4500 I was getting before the pair swop.  As a coincidence had 4 BT guys today pumping out the connection box at the bottom of my road and redoing the connections,

Obviously I dont know - but makes you wonder if that was the cause of the original problem before they swapped the pairs over.. and this particular pair has its own problems.

Still irritated by the increasingly artificial split between phone and DSL which BT seems to insist on, I'm paying for a line which supports both POTS and DSL.     

Hmmm therein lies the problem - and not something BT always seems to agree on, and prominence always seems to be on voice.
The piggy in the middle with BTw <-> ISP<-> End User doesnt help matters either.
You 100% have my sympathies and I know how frustrated I damn well would be.
I dunno how the heck your ticket managed to get "closed" either...  NOT good!

Chris/James..  any more news on this one..  because, so far it doesnt look like the reset has made any difference. :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 01:32:44 PM »

My personal opinion based on experience is that the Jumpering is broke and/or there is a fault with the underground cabling. Ask them to check these.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 02:40:53 PM »

Hi AZAKA, Do you mean the jumpering "Bloke" not broke !

Our research is showing that the major problem is that as there should be pretty good records for the pairs from the exchange to the "CAB". The "E" side. The problem is that in all cases that we have researched and investigated and are investigating, there is NO record keep of faulty "D" side pairs, and thats the pair from the "CAB" to the customer. So when a "D" side pair replacement/swop is carried out very often the customer with the fault looses into the system the faulty pair that he had that was swapped out AND ends up with a completly different fault. Sometimes the new fault is worse than the original fault. THEN some poor neighbour/customer gets the previous fault and so the system of escallating faults provides more work for "Openreach" This is all down to lack of management by "Openreach" managers who are (well Ill leave you to fill in this space)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 03:24:34 PM »

>> the customer with the fault looses into the system the faulty pair that he had that was swapped out AND ends up with a completly different fault.

Thats what I was wondering in my above post when I said "but makes you wonder if that was the cause of the original problem before they swapped the pairs over.. and this particular pair has its own problems."

>> there is NO record keep of faulty "D" side pairs,

Obviously not being a telecoms engineer I wouldnt know - but that does seem to be a bit silly. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6