Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best time to sync?  (Read 13616 times)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Best time to sync?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 01:00:36 PM »

Not sure what you mean by "tweaking". Tweaking usually means fiddling with something, settings, cables, etc.. to 'fine-tune' things.

>> having an increased snr is good

Yes generally.... but again - this works FOR YOUR PERSONAL CIRCUMSTANCES ONLY - it does not necessarily apply for everyone.

Your own line obviously has an SNR that fluctuates by a relatively large amount over the course of a day. Therefore the default 6dB SNR margin wasn't enough for you.

Some people's lines are less prone to interference, therefore the SNR margin does not change by as much during a day, so their line will hold steady even if their SNR margin is lower.

It's still only lunchtime, so you can't say that you aren't going to have a disconnection and drop to a lower sync speed later. Having said that, I really hope you don't.
Chris

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 02:04:19 PM »

i dopnt think i will. my snr is still 9dB and i cant see my snr dropping by that much in the evening.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 05:26:31 PM »

Hope not :) Fingers crossed
Chris

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 08:15:49 PM »

ok, i resync'd today at 9am as i was hoping this was best time to resync at a higher speed as since my snr was increased, id been syncing at around 4100 which gives me 3.5mb.

i resyncd this morning and got it to 4700! this meant i would get my old 4mb back if i could hang onto it with my increased snr. i also resyncd at 4pm to check and again resyncd at 4700!

however, routerstats showed me that my snr kept tumbling all evening and at 7.30, i disconnected, and cant resync at anything above 3950 now, which means a further drop to 3mb!

help!!! i can normally now hang onto a sync of around 4050 which gives me 3.5mb but now i cant even reboot over 4000, the highest is 3950!

MikeS

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 09:02:39 PM »

Hate to be the bearer of bad new.  It is normal for the SN margin to deteriorate in the late afternoon and evening.  This means that if you want a stable sync rate you have to sync up when the noise margin is low, which means you will get through the evening period without resyncs (hopefully).  However you just have to accept, irritating though it may be if you are just missing the cut on an IP profile, that you will not be able to hold the high sync rate which you get when you boot up during the quiet period, if your line is on the noisy side. 

On my line the best sync I could get was about 4900 which was during the 9-10 o'clock period in the morning. However come the evening I was clocking up errors and the SN margin was dropping to 1or 2dB and I was likely to get a resync to around 4200, occaisionally lower.  I found the best solution was to sync at about 4200 and leave the router on 24/7.  That way at least I had a stable sync.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 10:57:33 PM »

yeh im gonna do what you say. iv resyncd now finally at 4068 which will leave me at a 3.5mb connection and hopefully shouldnt disconnect me now (it didnt last week at this sync) so i will have to deal with it.

i find the whole thing ridiculous, i spent 12mths with 4mb speeds coping with one disconnection a day. the only way not to disconnect once a day is to have an increased snr and lower speeds lol it sucks.

bring on cable to my area i say.

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 09:19:56 AM »

As I've mentioned before switching from a Netgear to a Speedtouch 585v6 resolved that exact situation for me!

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 04:59:32 PM »

Ok, a few things to update you on.

I borrowed my friends speedtouch 585 version 6 yesterday afternoon. I plugged it in at 2pm and sync'd at 4850 which would give me a great 4mb speed like it used to with the netgear but with disconnections once a day in the evening.

At 7.46pm, i disconnected, and resyncd at 4020. Same as what happened with the netgear.

This afternoon, i resyncd my router which is connected to my secondry socket upstairs as usual, and got 4210 which is fine as i wont disconnect at any sync thats enough to give me 3.5mb, its if it goes over this (around 4500) that causes a disconnect. I then decided I would sync in the test socket to see what sync i would get - I got 4250 - which is nothing compared to what I synced at in the phone socket itself.

So, the speedtouch, and a filtered faceplate wont help me.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything