Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Internet Explorer  (Read 6413 times)

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
Internet Explorer
« on: September 18, 2006, 08:47:45 PM »

I have seen a number
Angryof comments in various forums that IE 5.5 is considered superior to IE6.

But nobody ever explains why.

Does anybody here know?  I have just downloaded IE 5.5 SP2 (all 80mb of it) and am minded to try it.  I have IEradicator which means I can do a nice clean install.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Internet Explorer
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 09:08:45 PM »

Hmm - I must admit I haven't seen this. From a purely technical perspective, IE 6 seems to work much better than previous versions. It's the most stable version of IE, quickest, etc...

I just can't think of a single reason to use 5.5 over 6!
Chris

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 03:58:20 PM »

On Windows 98/2000/Me I often stick with 5.5SP2 - I like the old school icon better!
(The old icon has been revamped and returns with IE7)

Other than that I don't really see much difference between them. I personally use Firefox as my browser of choice. I have also tried Opera, Mozilla Suite and Netscape.

People still think only IE is comptable with everything - but in recent months the Mozilla browsers seem to be getting better and can even work with things like MSN Spaces and the MS website  :D

Also I have an "extension" (plugin) called IEtab - which allows you to use Internet Explorer to render pages within Firefox. Of course, for things like Office/Windows Update, you really need to use IE for it to work at all.

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 04:24:47 PM »

IE6 is the more secure version of IE, I would always update IE to the latest version. IE7 is an exception until it is released as public issue. My understanding is that MS want all users with 2000, NT, XP to update then.

I don't think IE7 will work on 9x - but 9x users should definitely be using IE6.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 06:11:51 PM »

I have seen a number of:
Angry comments in various forums that IE 5.5 is considered superior to IE6. But nobody ever explains why.

I wonder which version "they" were using?

Admittedly it's been that long now since using IE6, the only thing I think I remember is that "some menu items" were in a different place....

Other than that, I don't have any problems with it, (most of my problems I feel are usually self inflicted).

However, I have to admit that the constant pop-up (drop down) asking if I want to access certain pages or allow this and that gets very annoying, "of course I want to access it/them" that's why I click on it/them.

reminder to myself: (I Will turn notifications off, one day).

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 06:19:41 PM »

same here... not had any problems with IE 6, and cant think of any reason why Id go back to 5.5
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 08:24:51 PM »

Just a random idea, I tend to use K-Ninja now, based on Mozilla but much, much faster then Firefox.

I am now collecting updated drivers etc for a probable attempt at Windows 2000, I feel it is time to be dragged kicking & screaming into the 20th century.

Be useful practice for when I beg, borrow, steal or build that new PC.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.