Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anyone using Free Dynamic DNS providers  (Read 3473 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Anyone using Free Dynamic DNS providers
« on: March 26, 2015, 11:32:28 AM »

Last year when DynDNS decided to close their free service they offered me a cheap first year contract which I took, now they want $30 a year. So I am looking for a new DDNS provider which hopefully is free and either does not have a 30 day update policy or provides a local updater which can be set to update every month.

Does anyone here use a DDNS provider with that facility?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Anyone using Free Dynamic DNS providers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 11:40:15 AM »

No-ip ( http://www.noip.com/ ) still offer a free service. I use them and I've found them entirely satisfactory.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 12:16:28 PM »

No-ip ( http://www.noip.com/ ) still offer a free service. I use them and I've found them entirely satisfactory.

Yes I found them but could not find any automatic updater to get round the 30 day requirement to validate my IP.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 01:08:40 PM »

No, I think you have to do that manually. I used their free service for a couple of months, but I've since upgraded to the paid-for service.
  Eric

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 01:13:30 PM »

I use dnsexit.com, and not had any problems. However, I had to use a custom updater on my Draytek, and could see no way to update on my Billion NL.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »

I use dnsexit.com, and not had any problems. However, I had to use a custom updater on my Draytek, and could see no way to update on my Billion NL.

My problem is that I can update it on my ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A OK but it only does that AFAIK when the IP changes and as I have a quite reliable line it is often up for 50+ or even more days without a re-sync so no DDNS update is done. Most of these freebies require at least one update per 30 days hence needing a script of some sort to do this on a regular basis. DynDNS used to provide such a program with their free account.

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 10:50:57 PM »

No, I think you have to do that manually. I used their free service for a couple of months, but I've since upgraded to the paid-for service.

Eric just a thought.   Had you thought about getting a static IP from Plusnet.  Its a one off cost of £5.   

With this then you can do quite a lot.  For example you could even set up a webserver/ftpserver at home and point a sub-domain to it.  eg set up  eric.[yourdomain].co.uk to your home PC/server.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 11:18:55 PM »

Thanks for that suggestion. I hadn't thought of it, and it certainly does have some possibilities.
  Eric

anything