Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 62

Author Topic: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.  (Read 450921 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.
« Reply #765 on: January 17, 2016, 01:36:09 AM »

I can imagine if the ECI cabinets dont support G.fast there is going to be a public backlash. Seeing adverts offering these massive speed increases then people go to order and because they are on an ECI cabinet, people arent going to take it well.

I'm sure that will hit their shares too.

Nice theory but I doubt it - for one thing BT has a pretty thick skin and their shareholders won't really care-in the scheme of things its financially immaterial. While other members of the public will be complaining that any faster service is available to others while they are still stuck on ADSL Max etc.

However, even BT have suggested some G.Fast cabinets will be situated next too existing FTTC ones - so if there is an issue enabling an existing one, they can simply put a G.Fast box next to it.

MrBelter

« Reply #766 on: January 29, 2016, 10:19:39 AM »

Hello, long time reader here  :)

My mate had Infinity installed on Wednesday and yesterday when i was turning off smart setup and splitting the SSIDs for him i couldn't believe that the engineer has given him a HH5 Type A and he is connected to a Huawei cab. It seems no one has learnt anything really.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #767 on: January 29, 2016, 08:38:15 PM »

My mate had Infinity installed on Wednesday and yesterday when i was turning off smart setup and splitting the SSIDs for him i couldn't believe that the engineer has given him a HH5 Type A and he is connected to a Huawei cab. It seems no one has learnt anything really.

Some others may disagree but I believe the HH5A is capable of supporting downstream G.INP

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #768 on: January 29, 2016, 10:02:02 PM »

Some others may disagree but I believe the HH5A is capable of supporting downstream G.INP

The HH5A does support downstream G.INP but not on the upstream that is why G.INP MK2 was rolled out to stop the DLM trying to activate G.INP on the upstream for all non US capable G.INP modems and so that's why we see the fastpath profile on the upstream to-day

After the G.INP MK2 rollout all modems capable or non capable modems the US G.INP is switched off as standard only when the capable US G.INP modem is having high errored seconds on the upstream G.INP will be active on the upstream for a few days and or when the errored seconds fall below the DLM profile.

Now I don't know what happens to the HH5A when the upstream errored seconds go's above the DLM profile does both DS and US go into interleave mode  :-\

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #769 on: January 29, 2016, 10:34:20 PM »

The HH5A does support downstream G.INP but not on the upstream

How do you know this as it doesn't show any G.INP data?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #770 on: January 29, 2016, 10:52:31 PM »

The HH5A does support downstream G.INP but not on the upstream

How do you know this as it doesn't show any G.INP data?

I think Openreach made it very clear when rolling out G.INP MK2 were the fault lies  ;)

blue166

« Reply #771 on: January 30, 2016, 03:24:51 PM »

I can imagine if the ECI cabinets dont support G.fast there is going to be a public backlash. Seeing adverts offering these massive speed increases then people go to order and because they are on an ECI cabinet, people arent going to take it well.

I'm sure that will hit their shares too.

Nice theory but I doubt it - for one thing BT has a pretty thick skin and their shareholders won't really care-in the scheme of things its financially immaterial. While other members of the public will be complaining that any faster service is available to others while they are still stuck on ADSL Max etc.

However, even BT have suggested some G.Fast cabinets will be situated next too existing FTTC ones - so if there is an issue enabling an existing one, they can simply put a G.Fast box next to it.

Has it been confirmed that ECI cabs are not compatible with G.FAST????

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #772 on: January 30, 2016, 03:45:31 PM »

Has it been confirmed that ECI cabs are not compatible with G.FAST????

Not as far as I am aware and it shouldn't make any real difference even if they were.

BT/Openreach have suggested they could deploy G.Fast in a variety of different ways including:

- at (or under?) the FTTC cabinet;
- in a new cabinet next to a FTTC cabinet;
- at a DP (above or below ground)

If they find that one solution did not work with ECI cabinets, then they can adopt another.

One major advantage of installing G.Fast in or near an existing FTTC cabinet is the ease that power can be provided since most of the infrastructure is present.

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #773 on: January 30, 2016, 08:23:11 PM »

BT need to wise up and fast! They got excited saying:
Ooh look we provide you 40mbps (if you are within 200M of your cab).
Then 2 years later. Ooh look we can provide you 80mbps (if you are within 200M of your cab).
Next up is, ooh look you can now get 500mbps (if you are within 50m of your DP).

Get a grip. Fibre to each home needs rolling out now. No distance limitations and no more marketing BS.
Rip out the copper and sell it. That would pay for the FTTP install costs.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #774 on: January 30, 2016, 09:10:32 PM »

Get a grip. Fibre to each home needs rolling out now. No distance limitations and no more marketing BS.
Rip out the copper and sell it. That would pay for the FTTP install costs.

Off-topic for this thread but imo the bit in bold is ludicrous and causes you to lose all credibility

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #775 on: January 30, 2016, 09:41:15 PM »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #776 on: January 30, 2016, 09:49:38 PM »

Are you sure of that?

Yes, thanks. Even if you ignore the sharp fall (over 50%) in the spot price of copper since 2011 or that scrap copper sells for much less than you copper, you seem to have missed the footnote added to the Guardian article:

This footnote was added on 27 September 2011: As noted by the blog's author in the comments below, Investec later issued a recalculation reducing the estimated value of BT's copper substantially:

Following the revelations of last week's The Register article, attributing a value of £50bn to BT's copper, BT took another look at the methodology used to calculate that value. The 75m miles of cable used in the calculation is correct, but relates to single twisted pairs (not 10-pair cable). Furthermore, the weight of the cable used to deduce the tonnage included the plastic sheathing material. All told then, BT is probably sitting on somewhere between £2.5bn to £5bn of copper...not the £50bn the article had suggested. This is still material (especially in the context of the current fibre rollout which should see 66% of the country receiving much faster broadband speeds, and costing...£2.5bn), but is not quite the magnitude of revelation we had previously been led to believe.

Now, I don't know how much you think FTTP will cost to install but its going to be a lot more than £2.5-5bn.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:53:38 PM by gt94sss2 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #777 on: January 30, 2016, 10:53:04 PM »

That's enough off-topic discussion, thank you.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #778 on: January 31, 2016, 12:33:38 AM »

Hello, long time reader here  :)

Hello and welcome :)

My daughter recently moved home and had fttc installed in Oct.  The Openreach engineer supplied them with an ECI modem.  (She is on a Huawei cab).

She seems more than happy with her speeds which she says were better than VM at her last house.   Bearing in mind she will be moving again soon, Im not bothering to say or do anything.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

MrBelter

« Reply #779 on: February 04, 2016, 09:27:41 AM »

Whether it does or it doesn't you would have thought they would have been supplying type b as a matter of course by now.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 62

anything