Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 62

Author Topic: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.  (Read 451047 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.
« Reply #585 on: June 16, 2015, 11:33:52 AM »

Ok I just made a graph in modem stats for last 24h (thanks to work in other thread BE, is really fast now).
It reports a massive spike in crc it seems around the time I lost sync, 5k crc errors, but only 10ES, so was an errored second with tons of CRC.

That could still be caused by someone at the dslam yanking out the able tho :)
Just thought I would report it.

You posted as I was posting, so just seen this. 
The G.INP cab upgrades are software and not physical.   ie a firmware upgrade.

No harm in reporting it.   Its not beyond the realms of possibility now that Openreach deem MkII successful, for them to start and pick up from where they left off at the beginning of April.   We knew it was going to be reviewed anyhow when the Huawei fixes were completed.... so if they have deemed the fix successful, then nothing stopping them from prepping the ECI's now.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #586 on: June 16, 2015, 11:36:46 AM »

reread kitz I edited :)

Hang on... let me check.  I too have noticed some changes recently..   need to check my stats too...  but from what I recall my downstream SNRm has increased and my upstream SNRm taken a dive.    Let me go check, I never thought to look at the attenuation and just assumed crosstalk.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #587 on: June 16, 2015, 11:48:55 AM »

Well given the huge changes to the power, its odd my downstream only lost maybe 1mbit attainable and my upstream snrm actually increased.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #588 on: June 16, 2015, 12:01:50 PM »

My weirdness (when it left me with no stats) was on the morning of the 13th June so Ive just run graphPD for the past 7 days.

My signal attenuation changed ever so slightly on same date, although not in the same bands as yours.   My U1 power was ramped up a bit too.   But I cant see anything conclusive.

btw on a separate note... I notice that I also seem to have regained the 'lost upstream SNRm' that I mentioned. It came back on the 14th so that probably was more crosstalk related and nothing to do with either.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #589 on: June 16, 2015, 12:42:03 PM »

@NS

Im as bad because I also should have twigged this and said earlier.  So in reality it took them 2 months to do all the line upgrades.

Your right Kitz it does look like the MK2 rollout is quicker this time around as it only took Roseway 22 days this time round while the MK1 took Roseway 1 month and 17 days.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #590 on: June 16, 2015, 04:29:38 PM »

. . . (second user on a newly enabled Huawei cab, ECI modem)
<snip>

Just flagging what Gareth wrote earlier, in parenthesis, above. A combination of Huawei cabinet and an ECI modem.

Could that be significant?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #591 on: June 16, 2015, 05:27:37 PM »

I dont think so b*cat - unless I'm missing something?

The cabs were done at Stage One which was a separate process than Stage Two which is when the DLM profiles were applied to the individual lines.

As mentioned in my post here.  I would expect the cab to have had its f/w updated before any lines went live.   

There is no reason why the f/w upgrade to the cab wont have gone ahead, and it was only the DLM profiles on a line basis that was suspended.   The issue with the rollout was the DLM profiles on the individual lines and it was this that the fix addresses by making the default profile for upstream available "Upstream, Error Protection Off".

This same upstream profile is also used for lines pre-G.INP, but you can tell the difference by looking at the downstream profile too.

So the default profile for a line which is Pre G.INP will say:
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

The default profile for a line which was been MKI G.INP will be something like:
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low

But a line which is MKII G.INP should say something like:
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low  - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Confusion could occur at a later stage if and when its had retransmission applied and DLM decides it needs more protection, then it could say something like Interleaving in there too and it wont be quite so easy to spot.
-----

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #592 on: June 16, 2015, 05:46:59 PM »

Unfortunately though when HG612stats locks up with the double instance, this then causes DSLstats to also not record.. so I dont have a clue what was happening at around 3:30 and Ive no stats from either. :(

You could try the attached version of HG612_stats.exe from 12th June.
It contains 'some' bug fixes etc. that MIGHT deal with the double instances etc.

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the problem, so fixing it is a bit hit & miss.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:50:03 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #593 on: June 16, 2015, 06:55:26 PM »

Thanks BE - appreciated.   I understand that it is something that would be hard to replicate - its not something that happens every day to me either.   I wasnt even going to mention it.. and probably wouldnt if it hadnt been for the fact that chrys hadnt mentioned that something weird happened on his cab too.

Its only once every few months when it seems to get stuck with a double instance, so its no big deal.     As soon as I clear it out of Task Manager then all is good again :)   I suppose the most annoying thing is because DSLstats also detects an instance of it, then that also stops reporting too.   I eventually noticed when I saw DSLstats flashing in my sys tray that something had gone wrong.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #594 on: June 16, 2015, 07:03:11 PM »

And just a thought Kitz why not use a Raspberry Pi to gather stats just for DSLstats and HG612_Modem_stats on the PC this way if one fails it won't take both out at the same time, but you may need to make a new account on MDWS IE: KITZ and KITZ-PI.

It's just a suggestion as i have noted you have had the same issue before while running both at the same time.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #595 on: June 16, 2015, 07:23:38 PM »

I think mostly because I dont have a Pi.  Ive cut right back on my network equipment these days.. and secondly the PC is always on anyhow because it checks something on the kitz server.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #596 on: June 16, 2015, 09:04:03 PM »

I dont think so b*cat - unless I'm missing something?

I don't think you have missed anything. I only mentioned the different devices at either end of the link, just in case.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #597 on: June 16, 2015, 09:06:59 PM »

:)

Good stuff, just checking I hadnt missed something either.
-----

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #598 on: June 16, 2015, 10:37:28 PM »

Its only once every few months when it seems to get stuck with a double instance, so its no big deal.     As soon as I clear it out of Task Manager then all is good again :)   I suppose the most annoying thing is because DSLstats also detects an instance of it, then that also stops reporting too.   I eventually noticed when I saw DSLstats flashing in my sys tray that something had gone wrong.

HG612_stats.exe should complete & exit normally within a few seconds.
However, a PC really busy doing other things can slow the program down.
Also, a timeout for whenever MDWS struggles to accept the uploaded logs is built in.

Therefore, there may be occasions when HG612_stats.exe is still running when DSLStats starts sampling.
My suspicion is that this might happen AFTER HG612_stats.exe has checked to see if DSLStats is sampling (it looks for a 'dummy' program that Eric added to DSLStats (dslstatssampling.exe).

So, there may be quite rare occasions when the programs clash, with both of them attempting to access the modem at the same time.

I thought sufficient error handling was built in to deal with double instances, but I might have missed something, somewhere.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #599 on: June 18, 2015, 07:47:51 PM »

Cheers BE - Ive responded elsewhere as I think you may have a point re busy PC, as Im pretty certain that was the night it was doing its monthly full drive backup.
-----
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 62

anything