Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 62

Author Topic: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.  (Read 450996 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.
« Reply #435 on: May 30, 2015, 09:20:57 AM »

it kind of makes me wonder how they start the rollout as we know are exchanges has a four digit alphabetic code so they must start on A first and Z last

No idea how they do it.   Traditionally any rollouts would tend to occur on the largest of exchanges first or perhaps regionally. 

Since MSE bRAS not all FTTC cabs are connected to their own copper exchange (theres a fairly decent percentage that arent ) and the OLT is at a larger neighbouring exchange.  It wouldnt make sense to delay rolling out to say ZZZZ exchange cabs if the OLT and Element Manager (which is where DLM info is stored & configured) - is at AAAA exchange.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #436 on: May 30, 2015, 12:36:39 PM »

Exchanges codes as I know them always have 5 identifying letters ..... the first 2 are the patch area (ie: LC = Lancs and Cumbria ....... MR = Manchester) ..... the last 3 letters denote the Exchange area (ie: AOR = Ashton -on -Ribble ...... ROC = Rochdale ).

So LCROC = Lancs & Cumbria Patch - Rochdale Exchange.

But with this being BT, it's never that simple. On our Work Manager systems (The machine that issues our work), the code is ar5e about face and is presented as ROCLC.

This doesn't answer the roll-out question and I have no idea how the task is apportioned ??

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #437 on: May 30, 2015, 05:07:48 PM »

Thats odd we only seem to have four identifying letters on most exchanges in my location, the feed for broadband comes from NIBA which is Bangor N.I.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #438 on: May 30, 2015, 07:43:17 PM »

Four here too, e.g. THBT.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #439 on: May 30, 2015, 08:11:33 PM »

I dont think there is a fixed length other than as BS says that the first 2 digits identify the region, then the remaining letters id the exchange.  For example a short snippit.

Code: [Select]
ESABB ABBEYHILL FTTC & FOD Now City of Edinburgh
EMABBOT ABBOTS BROMLEY FTTC Now East Staffordshire District (B)
EMABRIP ABBOTS RIPTON FTTC/P & FOD Now Huntingdonshire District
STABTSY ABBOTSBURY FTTC/P Now West Dorset District
SWAAI ABERAERON FTTC/P Now Sir Ceredigion - Ceredigion
NSABC ABERCHIRDER FTTC Now Aberdeenshire
WNABC ABERCONWY FTTC/P Now Conwy - Conwy
SWAAV ABERCRAVE FTTC/P Now Powys - Powys
SWABT ABERCYNON FTTC & FOD Now Rhondda, Cynon, Taf - Rhondda, Cynon, Taff
SWAA ABERDARE FTTC/P Now Rhondda, Cynon, Taf - Rhondda, Cynon, Taff
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #440 on: May 30, 2015, 09:55:32 PM »

It's kind of interesting how OR rollout the changes as the process will not be random because it's a computer that does this not a human. so if I was an OR programmer i would program it to rollout G.INP regionally using the first two digits A-Z then B-Z and so on.

The big question is why can't they just roll it out across the UK in one day to all exchanges  instead of this 2 month slow process   :-\
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 10:00:13 PM by NewtronStar »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #441 on: May 30, 2015, 10:03:49 PM »

Perhaps because a slow process allows for problems to be found, whereas a quick process could result in a very big problem.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #442 on: May 30, 2015, 10:16:18 PM »

Perhaps because a slow process allows for problems to be found, whereas a quick process could result in a very big problem.

Sure the 1st rollout was nearly completed before they found a problem, all i can think of is the DSLAM must only have small window in the wee small hours for any firmware upgrades that's pushed out by the OR central computer so if all UK DSLAM went offline for 10 minutes to upgrade it might cause chaos on the infustructure.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #443 on: May 30, 2015, 11:36:50 PM »

The problem will very likely be that because the rollout  involves a resync, then it would cause chaos - not particularly at the DSLAM - but at places like the the bRAS and RADIUS for authentication... and also could be problematic for the ISPs if all lines resync at a similar time.   Not only is there the issue of new DLM profiles which have to be applied and reported to the OSS..............

You'd have the bRAS going into overdrive calculating and applying millions of IPprofiles, which unless the line is syncing at max is likely to be different on each resync.  This in turn would generate lots of delta etc reports for the ISP's and in turn those like Plusnet & AAISP could suddenly find their own system swamped calculating their own max throughput profiles. 

The BT RADIUS server would also be very busy suddenly working out which lines should be directed to which ISP and also the ISP RADIUS servers would also be very busy trying to authenticate a huge portion of their customers all at once and dish out IP addresses and directing them to various gateways.

The system & reporting hardware at both BT and the ISPs would without doubt go into overdrive and even possible meltdown if all lines were done at the same time.  It can sometimes take a while to re-authenticate to an ISP if several pipes go down because their RADIUS gets busy and it may take a few goes.  If practically everyone had to not only resync at the same time but have new DLM and IPprofiles applied, then I'd guess that there's a good chance that something somewhere will go wrong... or at the least millions of users could all be left without a connection for a while until the system catches up.   
-----

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #444 on: May 31, 2015, 01:12:58 AM »

Are we looking at sometime from 1st august when this roll out should be complete and have a chance of an update on eci cabs?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #445 on: May 31, 2015, 07:50:22 PM »

It looks like BT Consumer is the problem as they handed out HH5As willy-nilly and as they are the dominant ISP they can force Openreach to do the wrong thing.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #446 on: May 31, 2015, 07:59:58 PM »

It looks like BT Consumer is the problem as they handed out HH5As willy-nilly and as they are the dominant ISP they can force Openreach to do the wrong thing.

You could say that also for Plusnet and EE and Sky as we don't really know which ISP all in one FTTC/modems are able to use G.INP on the upstream all we know is BT ISP HH5A and ECI modem does not but there could be plenty of others out there in the same boat.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:05:17 PM by NewtronStar »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #447 on: June 01, 2015, 10:13:58 AM »

This thread has now been referenced on the Billion forum: http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3522&view=unread#p12150
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #448 on: June 01, 2015, 09:36:20 PM »

-----

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #449 on: June 02, 2015, 06:09:39 PM »

Ah well anything over and above 19999Kbit/s is really irrelevant until G.Fast is rolled out, they are still supplying you the upper limit rate. Wouldn't worry about it myself enjoy the full speed your getting, it could be far worse.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 62

anything