Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 62

Author Topic: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.  (Read 450931 times)

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.
« Reply #375 on: May 27, 2015, 07:14:36 PM »

I think AndyH once remarked that you don't want it on an ECI cab as it introduces a lot of latency.

I see Openreach have begun turning it off on upstream connections no doubt due to BT Retail's stupid policy of handing out HH5A's to everyone regardless of cab make. So everyone else has to suffer due to BT Retail's stupidity.

blue166

« Reply #376 on: May 27, 2015, 07:20:26 PM »

Correct I do not want G.INP enabled on my ECI cab. I have even gone to BT Openreach with this, but until someone somewhere can confirm I have my concerns with it.

You mentioned about Openreach turning off G.INP Upstream off because of BT retail. What impact does this have on connections? I know this is still for the Huawei DSLAMs.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #377 on: May 27, 2015, 07:24:02 PM »

Well, they'll start off on fastpath but when noise or faults affect the upstream, they will be interleaved with a corresponding increase in latency which will be bad for gaming. Streaming should be ok though.

blue166

« Reply #378 on: May 27, 2015, 07:26:06 PM »

Will it have an effect on speed?

Also is that much different to the old DLM system? If there were noise/faults before you would lose speed and higher latency to make the line more stable? Am I right in saying that?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #379 on: May 27, 2015, 07:30:17 PM »

It will be the old DLM system. Those unlucky Huawei modem users on Huawei cabs will lose some of the advantages of G.Inp for gaming.

blue166

« Reply #380 on: May 27, 2015, 07:31:39 PM »

Thanks @Dray - I understand it better now.

I was under the understanding that the DSLAM would seek out modems that could support G.INP in both directions and filter according?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #381 on: May 27, 2015, 07:37:51 PM »

Will have to see what happens after the trial

andy265

« Reply #382 on: May 27, 2015, 07:52:35 PM »

My line is on the G.INP ECI modem trial and I just put a Billion 8800NL on instead so I could see what the DLM was doing. At the moment there is only G.INP on the downstream, I'll leave the Billion connected and see what happens as it does support it on the upstream.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #383 on: May 27, 2015, 07:58:22 PM »

I think AndyH once remarked that you don't want it on an ECI cab as it introduces a lot of latency.

My understanding is that the emanations from AndyH have been discredited and should be ignored.  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #384 on: May 27, 2015, 08:31:16 PM »

My line is on the G.INP ECI modem trial and I just put a Billion 8800NL on instead so I could see what the DLM was doing. At the moment there is only G.INP on the downstream,

Was there not a config setting on the 8800NL GUI to turn on/off PHyR on the upstream ?

andy265

« Reply #385 on: May 27, 2015, 08:37:03 PM »

Was there not a config setting on the 8800NL GUI to turn on/off PHyR on the upstream ?
Yes, I have up and down ticked. Up is off by default, but I turned it on before the router was connected to the line. I've attached a screenshot.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #386 on: May 27, 2015, 08:37:13 PM »

My understanding is that the emanations from AndyH have been discredited and should be ignored.  :-X
Well we'll see if it comes true or not :)

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #387 on: May 27, 2015, 08:57:14 PM »

My line is on the G.INP ECI modem trial and I just put a Billion 8800NL on instead so I could see what the DLM was doing. At the moment there is only G.INP on the downstream, I'll leave the Billion connected and see what happens as it does support it on the upstream.

Any chance you could leave the Billion 8800NL on and have it upload the line stats to:

http://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/

Pretty please?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #388 on: May 27, 2015, 09:43:11 PM »

I have on a couple of occasions attempted to clarify the situation on the ECI's with Openreaches Director of Network Strategy and Chief Engineer whom Im told by their CEO is the best person to answer.  Unfortunately the answers that I do have so far only raise further questions which is why I can't say anything for definite as some of it seems to imply what was happening and not will happen after they've made the next batch of changes.

All I can say for certain is that there's nothing in the immediate future for the ECI's, but it will likely be reviewed after the new changes have all been rolled out to all of the Huawei's. So hopefully in a couple of months we will have a better idea whats happening with the ECI's
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #389 on: May 27, 2015, 09:50:46 PM »

Since Ive asked for permission to quote and Ive not had any objection,  then I presume that there is no issue with releasing the following information, which I think most of us had guessed they were doing this anyhow.

we have been working closely with industry on our approach to the application of interleaving where upstream retransmission is not supported, and will be providing an update on progress more widely soon.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 62