Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62

Author Topic: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.  (Read 449974 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2015, 12:31:13 AM »

Openreach have also advise me this afternoon that they intend to run a trial next week (w/c 25/4/15) on a small set of lines; where devices aren’t retransmission compatible in the upstream to see if changing certain parameters removes the latency and maintains the other benefits of retransmission. The exact date lines will be trialled has yet to be confirmed.
Would appear to be their next step, So maybe they are going to test a new firmware?  maybe they have copied tp link's beta fw

It looks like to me that the changes will be made to the DLM.  There is no mention about firmware upgrades.

The information that has today come to light is that the Infineon chipsets (inc lantiq) according to BT are incapable of upstream ReTX.   Ive noticed something odd in the TPlink/G.inp thread that I previously thought it was perhaps a decimal placing error on the upstream delay.   Now Im not so sure. :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2015, 12:34:07 AM »

Kitz, I will let u know when Joe Garner will updated me with email later this month when he hear more from Senior Openreach tech guy.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2015, 12:36:36 AM »

Thank you max
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2015, 03:24:42 AM »

- The report suggests that ECI modems can support G.INP downstream, but not upstream. This ought to imply that most cases of extra latency should only be 8ms, coming from fallback of just the upstream.

I did notice the Billion 8800NL has phyr turned off on the US by default could that also be related to the above  :-\

it appears the majority of modems have it turned off on US by default, presumably because its optional and therefore not all DSLAMs will support it.

From some tests last week, didn't we see that the modems (visibly) have the PhyR feature turned off upstream, but that this is a different feature from G.INP. PhyR is a Broadcom-proprietary solution, while G.INP is a generic ITU specification.

The modems make this hard to determine, because they seem to have separate command options to set the 2 features, but don't have options in the display commands to show both configurations in parallel.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #184 on: April 25, 2015, 06:58:25 AM »

this doesnt bode well for us on eci cabs.

Retransmission can operate in both downstream and upstream channels simultaneously, although ECI equipment (either modems or DSLAMS) doesn’t currently support upstream retransmission.

* Any infrastructure that doesn’t support retransmission in the upstream will default to interleaving, increasing upstream latency by approx. 8ms.

I assume there is a reason g.inp cannot be one way only just on the downstream? so upstream left on fast path.

IF so openreach should leave fast path as the default on ECI cabinets and only use g.inp on unstable lines.

Kitz I suspected this issue would affect ECI cabs and it looks like I am right based on the ispreview article.

I also wonder how many isp's will tell end users this, and we only been made aware due to someone leaking it to ispreview.

I might email joe garner myself to stress they shouldnt replace fast path with this junk, only interleaving.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:01:18 AM by Chrysalis »

MartinW

• Arcade Tech Adventures
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2015, 10:09:53 AM »

*sigh* You got to love people on eBay that don't use a picture of the actual item they're selling! 1 ECI rev.R modem arrived. Will be shoved in the bottom of the drawer as a spare. I might mail the seller and point out they haven't sent me the item in the auction but other than that it's not worth the grief or the cost of sending it back.

[EDIT] Bah, not in the mood for messing about - just did a BIN for one that specifically says it's an unlocked Huawei - not that I'm desperately interested in the unlock, it's the compatibility I'm after.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 10:33:06 AM by MartinW »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2015, 11:07:32 AM »

:(
Do you have a link for the image?
-----

MartinW

• Arcade Tech Adventures

MartinW

• Arcade Tech Adventures
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2015, 11:17:56 AM »

I might put it back on FS with a BIN of £10 + P&P or something. I'm just not sure I can be bothered. Fortunately I'm not hard up for a tenner. If I was I probably wouldn't have fibre anyway :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2015, 11:36:36 AM »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Openreach-Fibre-Modem-/301600572359

Sure looks like they used a Huawei image to me.

Attached is a photo Ive just taken of an ECI (left) and Huawei (right)

I might mail the seller and point out they haven't sent me the item in the auction

I would!
-----

MartinW

• Arcade Tech Adventures
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2015, 11:42:53 AM »

They did for sure, and I've saved it :) Oh well.

I'll start a new thread when the Huawei turns up - which is definitely listed and pictured as a Huawei 3B, and they even say it's unlocked and talk about that, so there's no question this time round! I've waffled on enough about modems and eBay in this G.INP rollout thread :p

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2015, 12:24:17 PM »

Have to be wary of ebay scam, they took photo of different openreach modem and then misleading description to customer.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2015, 12:55:29 PM »

Interesting!

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136287.msg1224011.html#msg1224011

Quote from: Matthew Wheeler
Hi All.

If there are any customers who are affected by this and are still using a ECI modem there is a trial we're looking to do with Openreach and Wholesale.

Basically we're looking at cases where devices aren’t retransmission compatible in the upstream to see if changing certain parameters removes the latency and maintains the other benefits of retransmission.

If anyone is interested drop me a message with your username and I'll get back to you.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2015, 04:18:45 PM »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Openreach-Fibre-Modem-/301600572359

It's the principle that counts! That image is definitely of a Huawei HG612, so I would open an eBay case that the supplier did not supply the item for which you were bidding.  >:(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2015, 04:23:38 PM »

Interesting!

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136287.msg1224011.html#msg1224011

Interesting, yes, but a kludge.  ::)  I would be more interesting in being supplied with an appropriate CPE that operates as expected!  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62

anything