Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 62

Author Topic: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.  (Read 449997 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.
« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »

It now shows as Huawei.
Perhaps tbailey2 also spotted it & corrected it?

You meen he corrected a flaw on his side  ;)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2015, 07:04:59 AM »

It now shows as Huawei.
Perhaps tbailey2 also spotted it & corrected it?

You meen he corrected a flaw on his side  ;)

No - but you could correct a flaw on your side.... meen == mean  :lol:

Anyway, MDWS corrected the entry itself as it is able to. I had had several emails to say the cabinet was first one then the other type but hadn't investigated due to other work that is taking much of my time currently. It appears there was some problem in MDWS accessing the file it uses as reference and the default happens to be ECI if it fails  - but this hasn't happened before. It is definitely a Huawei cab though.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

MartinW

• Arcade Tech Adventures
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »

Did I see that you said you'd placed a tentative bid on a Huawei HG612?  Let us know how it goes :)

Well, I managed to snag something from eBay but it's a slight gamble. As I said, all the ones specifically labelled as HG612 in the auction seem to be either £40+ already or being quite hotly contested. So I got one that doesn't say what it is. I can see from the port layout that it is either a Huawei, or an early revision ECI. For £12 I'm prepared to take a gamble. I'll either have some revision of Huawei or I'll have a backup to my rev./r ECI should that ever go pop.

I have considered a different router but probably completely the opposite to everyone else, I prefer a separate modem. I can then do what I like in terms of moving and re-routing all via RJ45 without going anywhere near telephone lines. My modem is directly at the point of entry to the house of the main cable so telephone cable is as short as it can possibly be.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2015, 10:57:23 AM »

I hope it is a Huawei, the prices for modems seem to have gone silly over the past month.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2015, 11:00:38 AM »

I unlocked my spare last night and swapped to it. I'll probably be putting the unlocked one I've been using for the last week on eBay over the weekend.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2015, 12:01:56 PM »

personally I wouldnt pay more than £30 for a hg612 now.  There is broadcom commercial routers for under £60.  The billion 8800nl can be used as a modem in bridge mode.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2015, 01:45:05 PM »

Just read the latest update over on A&A's status page on the G.inp/ECI issue

We have just received the below back from BT on this

Following communications from a small number of BTWholesale FTTC comms providers regarding Openreach’s implementation of Retransmission and the identification of some your customers who have seen increased latency on some lines for some applications since retransmission was applied. Over the last 4 weeks I have been pushing Openreach to investigate,

feedback and provide answers and options related to this issue. As a result attached is a copy of a briefing from Openreach; sent to their CPs today, on how RetX works and what may have caused this increase latency.

This info is being briefed to all BTWholesale customers via our briefing on Saturday morning 25/4/15 but as you have contacted me direct I’m sending this direct as well as providing ann opportunity to participate in a trial.

Openreach have also advise me this afternoon that they intend to run a trial next week (w/c 25/4/15) on a small set of lines; where devices aren’t retransmission compatible in the upstream to see if changing certain parameters removes the latency and maintains the other benefits of retransmission. The exact date lines will be trialled has yet to be confirmed.

However, they have asked if I have any end users who would like to be included in this trail. To that end if you have particular lines you’d like to participate in this trial please can you provide the DN for the service by 17:00 on Monday 28th April so I can get them included.

This is a trial of a solution and should improve latency performance but there is a risk that there may be changes to the headline rate.
https://aastatus.net/posts.cgi?itype=Broadband&oseverity=2

There should be no loss of headline sync speeds with G.inp  ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2015, 03:20:52 PM »

Did I see that you said you'd placed a tentative bid on a Huawei HG612?  Let us know how it goes :)

Well, I managed to snag something from eBay but it's a slight gamble. As I said, all the ones specifically labelled as HG612 in the auction seem to be either £40+ already or being quite hotly contested. So I got one that doesn't say what it is. I can see from the port layout that it is either a Huawei, or an early revision ECI. For £12 I'm prepared to take a gamble. I'll either have some revision of Huawei or I'll have a backup to my rev./r ECI should that ever go pop.

I have considered a different router but probably completely the opposite to everyone else, I prefer a separate modem. I can then do what I like in terms of moving and re-routing all via RJ45 without going anywhere near telephone lines. My modem is directly at the point of entry to the house of the main cable so telephone cable is as short as it can possibly be.

A couple of tips that will help when attempting to identify the make of an Openreach Modem, which has been advertised on eBay without any further information.

Assuming that there is at least one photograph available:
  • Take note of the colour of the surrounds of the LAN ports. If the colour yellow is visible, it is an ECI modem. If it looks like chromed metal, it is a Huawei modem.
  • Look at the apertures through which the LEDs show. If they appear circular, it is an ECI modem. If they appear square, it is a Huawei modem.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

MartinW

• Arcade Tech Adventures
« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »

Thanks for the info.

Based on that, provided the picture is not a stock one (it doesn't look like it) then it's a Huawei due to the square LED openings :thumbs:

We shall see when it arrives.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »

Based on that, provided the picture is not a stock one (it doesn't look like it) then it's a Huawei due to the square LED openings :thumbs:

We shall see when it arrives.

:fingers:

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2015, 04:49:50 PM »

If it is a Huawei:

1. Well done you
2. It proves how essential it is to accurately describe items you are selling on eBay (you wouldn't have got at that price if the seller had done that).

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2015, 05:45:01 PM »

ISPReview have posted some news: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/04/bt-openreach-briefs-uk-fttc-fibre-broadband-isps-on-g-inp-issues.html

Shame they stated that the firmware update fixes the issue on ECI modems!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2015, 06:08:46 PM »

* We have not yet started the rollout for the ECI infrastructure as we are investigating a minor issue with our hand held testers.

I think that Kitz, our leader, will smile at the above. We touched on the subject in an exchange of PMs, a day or so ago.  ;)

Edit: Having re-read the article, b*cat proceeded to look at the comments . . . and felt a peculiar tingle in his whiskers when he saw who had written the very first one.  :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:14:16 PM by burakkucat »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2015, 06:20:42 PM »

Sure that handheld tester JDSU was not able to get a sync on our data extension socket but did on the master socket yet the HG612 was able to get a sync at data extension socket, maybe the JDSU needs a firmware update  ;D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:29:51 PM by NewtronStar »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2015, 07:39:41 PM »

* We have not yet started the rollout for the ECI infrastructure as we are investigating a minor issue with our hand held testers.

I think that Kitz, our leader, will smile at the above. We touched on the subject in an exchange of PMs, a day or so ago.  ;)

Edit: Having re-read the article, b*cat proceeded to look at the comments . . . and felt a peculiar tingle in his whiskers when he saw who had written the very first one.  :)

As it's 'out there' now, I can't begin to tell you how frustrating it's been, looking at the comments on here as to why the ECI G.INP rollout had been suspended.  ::) ;D

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 62