Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62

Author Topic: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.  (Read 450039 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.
« Reply #885 on: July 06, 2017, 01:07:25 PM »

In mums case the line went live 24th april.
Email 5th may re g.inp from mdws

btmaxcd

This is an advisory mail to let you know that G.INP is now enabled for your line with Downstream Sync of 55000kbps ...

Automatic message from MyDSLWebStats
 ::)

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #886 on: July 06, 2017, 02:34:52 PM »

skyeci, very interesting, only about 10 days especially as the line was operating on fast path, in your case appears to contradict normal theories that G.Inp is only applied if required, would have thought that interleaving would have been actioned first as per my experience if the line had been performing badly.

Perhaps the G.Inp application was just a scheduled event on your particular cabinet, no one seems to know exactly what governs G.Inp application or indeed if the policy applies nation wide ?

You were obviously monitoring your mum's line and were signed up to MDWS from first connection, how was the line performing prior to G.Inp application, did it look like DLM intervention was likely ?
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #887 on: July 06, 2017, 02:45:21 PM »

not as far as I could tell. The line is only 295m from the cab and she is on a 55/10 - max attainable though in the 70's most of the time...  the cab has been here a long time though I think. They have just put a gfast pod on the pcp! so thats rather interesting. The combe down exchange is just around the corner which no doubt helps.. It never did get interleaved either just went straight from fastpath to g.inp etc..
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:50:20 PM by skyeci »

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #888 on: July 06, 2017, 03:00:21 PM »

skyeci, I took the liberty of looking at the line in question stats on MDWS, you did provide the ID in your last post.
You obviously were uploading data 24/7 to MDWS so the information is all there, what a fantastic facility this site is.

Prior to G.Inp application on 5/5/17 your DS ES daily average was 74, after G.Inp it has been zero or practically zero ever since, most impressive.
I did note that the line is now showing DS interleaving, depth of 16, was this applied at the same time as G.Inp, you did state that the line was fast path originally ?

By current DS ES daily average has been as high as 570 on fast path, certainly much higher than your line before G.Inp was applied.
Take a look yourself, my ID is as per this forum ID..
I only have the RPi running over a week now so not a lot of history as yet.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #889 on: July 06, 2017, 03:09:28 PM »

yup no interleaving pre g.inp.. was applied the same time as g.inp..

Wish I had her line rather than my own  :-\. hopefully will see g.inp return soon on ECI  :fingers:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #890 on: July 06, 2017, 03:21:11 PM »

in your case appears to contradict normal theories that G.Inp is only applied if required
No idea when this became "normal theory" but the last official word I heard from OpenReach was it's applied by default on the downstream when supported. It would be madness not to enable it by default, there's not a single line in the country it won't improve.

Quote from: Ian Lawrence, Chief Engineer at BT Openreach and Director of Network Strategy & Engineering
Downstream

Initially, low interleaving is enabled by default on all retransmission lines. Once DLM has positively identified that the modem supports retransmission then retransmission is enabled. This happens after a few days. If the low level of retransmission is not good enough to correct all errors then the high level is selected by DLM.  If the line remains unstable and cannot be adequately managed by DLM with retransmission profile then Interleaving is applied as normal.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/ginp-retransmission.htm

As with everything DLM, the implementation is useless.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #891 on: July 06, 2017, 04:26:28 PM »

j0hn, thanks for your post and additional information.

Perhaps "normal theory" was the incorrect phrase to use, what I meant was that some forum members are of the opinion G.Inp is only applied if required, see earlier posts in this thread, I freely admit to not knowing hence the purpose of these posts.
Yes, I had read the kitz interview with BTOr chief engineer, very interesting.

As my current line properties are similar to the line being monitored by skyeci (actually worse with respect to DS ES rates) and I have not had G.Inp applied to date, I can only assume that either G.Inp in not actually active on my Huawei cabinet, or it takes longer than 4 weeks to activate.
(See skyeci's line monitor on MDWS site, user name "btmaxcd" and my current MDWS line stats, ID "tiffy")

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #892 on: July 06, 2017, 05:27:30 PM »

Just another thought on G.Inp application:

I do have the latest firmware revision on my HG612 which supports G-Inp, however, I also run the Kill BT Agent Command (killall -KILL start btagent) from the DSLStats program, this is applied on every program start and in the event of an auto re-synch..

See the kitz / BT Chief Engineer interview, http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/ginp-retransmission.htm as referenced earlier by "j0hn" in particular the question "Will MK2 G.Inp Upstream lines be moved on to a G.Inp profile...."
Could the BT Agent Kill instruction be prohibiting the modem from "positively identifing that it supports retransmission" ?

I have now removed the custom command from my DSLStats so won't be transmitted in the future, don't wish to carry out a forced re-synch at present so unlikely to make any immediate difference.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #893 on: July 06, 2017, 05:49:54 PM »

If you used the firmware suffixed by _webgui the BT agent isn't loaded anyway

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #894 on: July 06, 2017, 06:22:20 PM »

Plenty of third-party modem/routers won't have BTAgent but will work fine with G.INP, so killing the BTAgent process should make no difference.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #895 on: July 06, 2017, 07:49:22 PM »

OK, Just another theory on the G.Inp trail, I can forget about the "kill btagent" command.

Dray, yes  I have definately used the "ver. 08_webgui" firmware to re-flash my HG612 modem so should be G.Inp ready.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #896 on: July 21, 2017, 04:21:07 PM »

Getting towards 7 weeks now on fibre with G.Inp still not applied to my line.
NewtronStar did advise earlier that in his experience it can take up to 8 weeks to apply G.Inp to enabled systems using a compatable modem/router ?

Just in case of the very unlikely event of my HG612 being faulty or an issue with the unlocked firmware, I have substituted this today with another HG612 I have on hand freshly flashed with the latest G.Inp enabled firmware (again), to expectation, there has not been any immediate application of G.Inp on re-synch, will just have to wait and see what (if anything) happens in the longer term.

Probably clutching at straws, who knows with G.Inp, at least this will eliminate the hardware/software at this end, appears there is not a lot that ISP's have any control over at the DSLAM/cabinet side and it is up to the mysteries of BT DLM if indeed that's what controls G.Inp application/removal ?   

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #897 on: July 21, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »

Assuming something not broken openreach side then I expect its just a waiting game.  Lets hope you get g.inp soon.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #898 on: July 21, 2017, 06:04:20 PM »

Assuming something not broken openreach side

Have you looked on MDWS all users currently online have never seen so many Huawei users who had G.INP and now inactive in ORANGE, I don't know if they moved ISP provider or had a DLM reset but trend point's at 1st and 2nd week of July  ???

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #899 on: July 21, 2017, 06:12:42 PM »

Surprised I don't have G.INP yet.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62

anything