Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A little more from Lancashire, Cumbria and North Yorkshire  (Read 3252 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
A little more from Lancashire, Cumbria and North Yorkshire
« on: April 03, 2015, 04:27:41 PM »

It's been a very busy time for B4RN recently. Apart from some further frenetic expansion around Dolphinholme, Halton, Whittington, Wrayton and the Yealands into Cumbria, they have now strayed deep into "Foreign parts" around Clapham, North Yorkshire.

http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/12867113.Digital_future_looks_rosy_for_Clapham/?ref=fbshr

Then HRH Prince Charles really did visit the Westmorland show ground on Wednesday 1 April, - no fooling about ! Exhibits included, amongst others, Dry Stone Walling and B4RN - Broadband for the Rural North's Hyperfast symmetric 1,000 Mbps broadband who are celebrating their 1,000 service connection as well as their millionth £1 share. I was delighted to see how interested HRH the Price of Wales was with the B4RN fibre blowing and fusing demonstration.

B4RN are building the equivalent "Dry Stone Wall" of the digital age. (It's "rock solid" to last for generations without any "Innovative solutions" as it is fully future-proofed with robust diverse-routed symmetric fibre; it's unaffected by water nor electrical noise and without an "Up to" in sight. Businesses can even have their own 10 Gbps symmetric feed if they need it.) The project is already clearly demonstrating Hyperfast Broadband is the only viable solution for so many with impossibly long, less reliable, rural phone lines. There are so many latent possibilities for all types of endeavour as well as maintaining the value of properties and enhancing the prosperity of whole, but sparsely populated, communities. There are even a few remote farms without mains water, gas and electricity. There's plenty of wind though and the new Halton Eco-community even have their own hydro turbine on the Lune.

The picture below is of B4RN's new semi-portable hand blower. It is used for blowing 2f or 4f into premises. It can blow at well over 100 m per min and can even manage around 50 m without air. The reason I said semi-portable is that it requires an air compressor with either a mains transformer or a portable generator.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:46:28 PM by waltergmw »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: A little more from Lancashire, Cumbria and North Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 05:07:05 PM »

B4RN are building the equivalent "Dry Stone Wall" of the digital age.
I'm not sure how much analogy you can draw between a dry stone wall and data connections.

However, I do remember a poem from O-level days, where mending the stone walls was described as making good neighbours. I'd say that the digging of fibre is proving to be a very strong community-building affair in B4RNland.

I was delighted to see how interested HRH the Price of Wales was with the B4RN fibre blowing and fusing demonstration.

This doesn't surprise me.

The B4RN-equivalent going on around Bath and Somerset has to get the same kind of arrangement with the local landowners - the use of free wayleaves, and volunteer digging.

IIRC, one such major landowner is the Duchy of Cornwall, aka the Prince of Wales.

It can blow at well over 100 m per sec

I hope you mean per minute. A fibre exiting the duct at 100m/s is over 200 miles per hour ... you could probably stab and kill somebody at that speed!

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 05:54:08 PM »

@Wwwombat,

Thanks for the correction which I've now made - a mere slip of the keyboard fingers !

The Dry Stone Wall analogy started because HRH is their patron and they were demonstrating their prowess before HRH came to the B4RN demonstrations of fibre fleeting and blowing f96 and f4, followed by fibre fusing.

Re my analogy I should have explained that those spending so much effort not only for their generation and community but also for many generations to come. Nowadays B4RN call it "Fuure-proofing" for their high reliability Hyperfast solution. Sadly, or even disastrously, there is scant evidence that many others are emulating that principle. (Has anybody seen a superb advertisement including rotting aluminium replacement along with the sports content?) Inadequate replacement maintenance seems to have become a nice little earner if you consult the relevant statistics. Commercial averice at the significant  expense to, and major hindrance of, UK PLC certainly pleases the shareholders. Politicians of all persuasions are waking up to this situation even if one minister involved claims quite preposterously that 40,000 properties are added EVERY WEEK (Hansard 4 March Column 346WH)

Here's another article describing an equally disturbing situation.

http://www.guildford-dragon.com/2015/03/23/campaigner-says-superfast-broadband-upgrade-in-rural-areas-is-causing-unnecessary-mayhem/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:05:10 PM by waltergmw »

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 08:27:48 PM »

Perspicacious pussies already know that wheelbarrows are not required with hyper-reliable symmetric Hyperfast FTTH deployments 😉

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 10:24:10 PM »

;D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 11:28:57 PM »

Who is this ?.
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/p180x540/10428074_761889707251523_6457336739373938084_n.jpg?oh=e758ad5562aec493b73f1e82c14b21e2&oe=55A76167

The Wheelbarrow was parked just out of camera-shot on the left hand side!  :D

Walter is famous :)
He just now need a plaque for the wheelbarrow marked 'By Royal Apppointment'
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 08:53:55 AM »

Thank you  Kitz,

I have little doubt that there are a growing number of public servants and others who might think I am infamous. However there are many more erudite than I, who are making similar comments with increasing urgency. Nevertheless we must all surely realise that institutionalised deceit cannot possibly begin to repair our rapidly failing infrastructure which is still based, to a large extent, (except for those with more reliable but imperfect Virgin Media installations) on telephony requirements.

Purely from a logical viewpoint the 50% with a VM service could all so easily have a fibre tube inserted into their existing duct / tube** without any initial disturbance to their existing cables or services. Sadly we must all accept that commercial and political considerations wil make such an idea a formidable challenge; not least for all the ISPs who are lumbered with the behemoth's monopolistic constrictions.

** I have actually inserted a 7 mm single tube easily capable of carrying a 4f AND a full 96f cable including its strength member into my own tube quite easily. I have photographs to prove it too !

We might all like to note that a single 7 mm tube is the entire supply for most ECI 256 FTTCs and even a Huawei 288 only uses two 7 mm tubes. In practice this is unlikely to pose too serious a problem as our infrastructure is already severely limited by the laws of physics. Those laws dictate that there are a very great number in rural areas who will NEVER even obtain a VDSL service.

Those currently advocating "innovative solutions" or even, heaven forbid, satellite solutions would do well to awaken from their convenient dreams.

anything