Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG8924/VMG8324 Latency on Thinkbroadband line monitor  (Read 14503 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Re: ZyXEL VMG8924/VMG8324 Latency on Thinkbroadband line monitor
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 08:45:28 AM »

Click the Connection Status 'Button' Bottom left main screen.
Then click the Status Button far right middle of screen (Button with > on it)
The screen you get to gives 'Device Informaton', 'System Status', 'Interface Status'.
9-10 lines down on the Device Information listing is the 'Disconnect/Connect Button'
You can kill your PPP session with this. It can take a while to re-establish so wait 20-30 seconds and watch the 'Internet light' on the modem.

In theory....

In practice

Click Disconnect. Prompt to confirm. Confirm. Wait one minute.
Nothing happens. Still connected and internet active.
CPU usage rises to 50%
Try Disconnect again
CPU usage rises to 80%
Finally Disconnects with red led
Wait one minute
Still have a Disconnect button while refreshing every 5 secs/manually
CPU usage hits 95%
Give up and power off/on (no wait  :-X )

Back up and - gain another 2Mbps of D/S Sync  :o :)

Had to power off and on again this morning to move the PSU and lost the extra 2Mbps D/S  :(

Have to agree with Kitz that the WiFi coverage on this is excellent. Can get nearly full cabled speed rather than about 1/3 from the Technicolor in my normal downstairs location ....

Haven't noticed any diff in latency with the ZyXel cf HG612/TG582n, still around 17/18ms with Interleaving around the 700 mark.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 10:39:54 AM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 10:08:26 AM »

Hi

I expect the gain and losses for the sync speed are just natural variations in noise at the time it resyncs.  Whilst you've lost 2Mbps of sync speed you've probably gained a little SNR or lower error rate.  It's the joys of using old telephone cable  :)

Sounds like the disconnect isn't working from that screen in some cases, not the first button to be found not working on the ZyXEL web UI,   ???

Regards

Phil

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 10:37:24 AM »

I have much the same experience as tbailey2, it does eventually work but you need to wait a long time.
IMO this firmware still needs a lot of work before it looks like a professional product.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 01:17:11 PM »

Yes it is slow.  I think when you first click it, (from memory) that it warns that you will need to refresh the page.  I find the 'disconnect' bit happens ok however,  it takes a lot longer when you reconnect as it has to obtain a new PPP session from Plusnet. I usually go to another random page in the web gui, then go back again.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 10:40:53 PM »

Be aware that Anti-virus software can also interfere.
I use Avast and it scans scripts on webpages.
I found I had to exempt the ip address of the modem from the scanning and it worked more reliably.
Still slow but not as bad as described by tbailey2.

Send from LG G3 via Tapatalk (Typos & bad formatting are free)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 07:23:38 PM »

I tend to disable http scanning modules in a/v software which can solve various issues.

bear in mind when you browse a web page it is written to the browser cache folder so as such it is still scanned providing your a/v scans all written files.  http scanning modules can catch things earlier but I am far from convinced they add anything extra in terms of real protection.

the exception tends to be if you actually disable caching, which you cannot do in IE (and chrome) but can do in firefox. *chrome will disable cache whilst devtools is open.

if you disable javascript by default and block ads, then you will be significantly harded against drive by stuff anyway.

so in short providing you have real file scanning enabled you can probably turn off http scanning without an issue.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2015, 03:14:16 PM »

Hi

iptables -I INPUT 1 -s 80.249.99.0/24 -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j ACCEPT

The following command can be used to show the rules in the chain INPUT before and after issuing the above command.
iptables -L INPUT --line-numbers

AFAIK this setting does not survive a reboot.

I've been using the above rules all okay to get past the over sensitive DoS on the ZyXEL, however the Thinkbroadcom chart is showing some packet loss and high latency for a few minutes each hour on the hour.  I'm guessing a tablet or phone is doing something on the hour and the ZyXEL gives pings such low priority the pings aren't responded to.  So to check if that is the case, how do I modify those rules above to send the ICMP echo request to a computer in the LAN to respond rather than the ZyXEL?

Regards

Phil

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2015, 11:19:02 AM »

My 8924 shows the same high pings ever hour or so, it's not something I'm concerned about.
Don't know if this will work, but to get the ICMP pings to a PC on your network you could try placing the target PC in DMZ. The usual security warnings apply  ;)

[Moderator edited 8934 -> 8924]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:07:43 PM by burakkucat »

bobpullen

• ISP Rep
    • Plusnet
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2015, 01:24:19 PM »

Different routers handle the priority of ICMP pings differently - the Zyxel probably just puts them at a lower priority than the Billion.

I'd say this is backed up as QoS affects them on the Zyxel, so its likely thats its putting a lower priority on ping traffic, hence you see different ping times than with the Billion :)

This has been mentioned before and its been assumed to be QoS and priority given to ICMP

Its never really been much of an issue with me (providing Im on a decent PN gateway).

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I'm interested to know what this looks like?

Having just set up a VMG8924, I'm keen to know whether there's anything that can be done to mitigate these maximum latency spikes:

Is that what others are seeing with the VMG8934?
Bob Pullen
Plusnet
Product Team
community.plus.net

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 01:43:16 PM »

I'm using the VMG8324-B10A and I was going to say I don't get many spikes, but I do have a few regularly.

Yesterdays, 20:00 to 22:30 was streaming Netflix.

I have to go back to the 25 November to find one which isn't busy/spikey

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 05:55:22 PM »

If the ThinkBroadband service is using a Firebrick ping-box, is it the case that it works by sending ICMP echo requests, rather than PPP LCP packets ?

The Andrews & Arnold constant quality monitoring service, which all users of that ISP have, works via the latter mechanism, rather than the former.

bobpullen

• ISP Rep
    • Plusnet
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 08:11:48 PM »

Yes, it uses ICMP.
Bob Pullen
Plusnet
Product Team
community.plus.net

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 09:11:27 PM »

My VMG8924 shows regular spikes at roughly 75 minute intervals.
This is has been the same with all firmware versions I've tried.

bobpullen

• ISP Rep
    • Plusnet
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 09:41:24 PM »

Odd, I don't get that. It's more like constant noise. I think I'm using a firmware version more recent than those available (although I suspect much of it is the same).

@npr, does the logging work with the firmware you're using? It's blank and doesn't get populated on my device.
Bob Pullen
Plusnet
Product Team
community.plus.net

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 11:09:12 PM »

It sounds like a (bit of a ) bug of the kind where the machine becomes very busy for a short time during which it is unresponsive to events.

Example would be garbage collectors (notorious); something on a repeating timer, who knows what?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything