Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: G.FAST  (Read 22231 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: G.FAST
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 10:47:18 PM »

was on ispreview site a quote from someone in BT.  Also was some discussion on tbb as well tho I think.

Ah ha! Ideas and plans change all the time. Personally, I only believe what I can see with my own eyes.  ;)

so you seen them deploying new boxes and pulling new fibre then? :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 10:48:48 PM »

Who knows exactly how Beattie will perform the tests / experiments / trials? Perhaps she will be her usual cautious self and begin testing FTTDP with the current FTTC profile (i.e. up to 17 MHz). At a later date, once the initial results have been analysed, she may then decide to trial profile 30 (i.e. up to 30 MHz).  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 10:49:14 PM »

There's a very nice pole around 40m from my house where one could be sited  :fingers:

Ours are underground and there's a chamber just across from my house which serves our street.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 10:52:30 PM »

so you seen them deploying new boxes and pulling new fibre then? :)

No, not yet. But I will keep a close "look out" for any such interesting happenings. And, needless to say, I will share any sightings with fellow Kitizens.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 10:54:33 PM »

Who knows exactly how Beattie will perform the tests / experiments / trials? Perhaps she will be her usual cautious self and begin testing FTTDP with the current FTTC profile (i.e. up to 17 MHz). At a later date, once the initial results have been analysed, she may then decide to trial profile 30 (i.e. up to 30 MHz).  :-\

hence my question to BS to see if he knows,

I would like to think (and hope) that vectoring would be rolled out before working on g.fast.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 11:07:40 PM »

I would like to think (and hope) that vectoring would be rolled out before working on g.fast.

Indeed. As we know, there have been a couple of rounds of tests with Huawei equipped cabinets. Tests with ECI equipped cabinets are due to start -- or have already started. My feeling (knowing the cautious way that Openreach / the BT Group operates, which goes right back to the original GPO Telephone Service days) is that a couple of rounds of tests with the ECI equipped cabinets will take place and only then will begin the roll-out of vectoring.

I can see no problem, as BT has many research groups -- one working on vectoring and another working on G.Fast, etc.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 11:37:30 PM »

you know why they didnt test ECI and hauwei at same time?

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 12:49:43 AM »

Over on this thread, there's an interesting read. The Thrown for a Loop story has some analysis, including words from Mike Gavin, that gives the aims a little more flavour.

I too read the comments elsewhere indicating that they'll be looking at deploying G.fast from existing cabinets - but I'd think that was an important aspect to try out in the trial, while you are only targeting a couple of hundred Mbps. I suspect (heavily) that the first generations of G.fast silicon won't be able to hit the top speeds, so any rollout will be for interim hardware. I wonder if Supervectoring might get something of a call too.

There's also a little said about vectoring in this document; unfortunately, it still doesn't give us a date, but it does put the words "vectoring" and "rollout" next to each other.

One snippet: With 80Mbps caps still in place, vectoring raised the average speed from 54Mbps to 64Mbps. On first glance, that doesn't look too great, but I think the fact the speeds were capped to 80Mbps limits the average upside.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 01:57:44 AM »

you know why they didnt test ECI and hauwei at same time?

No, sorry.  :no:

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 10:52:56 AM »

ok, remember tho a 2nd advantage of vectoring should also be improved reliability.

I agree that with g.fast the long term aim will be to deploy boxes nearer the premises, my query was more about how they doing it at the start in 2016.

sorc

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2015, 10:11:45 PM »

I'm sort of hoping that they don't go for FTTdp + G.FAST. It seems like yet another short-sighted bodge until they finally decide to FTTP on a wide scale.

FTTP will have higher per-user install costs since you've got to run new cable, but surely a ton of new DSLAMs for each DP + powering + maintenance + replacement once the weather cooks or freezes them will bump costs up for G.FAST too - plus you've still got the distance/speed issue, and ultimately it's not as futureproof as FTTP is. Being able to dump copper entirely at some point in the future must be enticing. FTTP and FTTdp will still need BT to run fibre all the way to the pole, which I am presuming is the most expensive part of any rollout

I guess at least that FTTP on demand will hopefully become affordably cheap if they do decide to go for it.

Maybe I'm just jaded from seeing the BT shareholders' constant of "FTTP is too slow, too expensive, too hard" while seeing BT deploy FTTP to some seriously rural places (some of which with no potential customers), other rural users being told to get satellite, and VDSL to areas where many users will be on hellishly long lines, as if it's a total lottery

G.FAST from the FTTC cabinets however might be another story if they can get reasonable speeds out of it
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 10:16:43 PM by sorc »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2015, 10:36:33 PM »

I'm sort of hoping that they don't go for FTTdp + G.FAST. It seems like yet another short-sighted bodge until they finally decide to FTTP on a wide scale.

Most of what OpenReach does it to make it affordable for all users if i went down the path of FTTP for a 1000m/1km line it would cost me £2500 so you need to be realistic on what you want and what you can afford.  ;)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2015, 11:41:49 PM »

I wonder how much it would cost if the government set aside some billions to convert all copper lines to fibre!

I bet we'd be up to japanese speeds if that happened  ;D
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2015, 11:46:22 PM »

Does an FTTC cab count as an aggregation  node? If so,  I'm currently band A for sure.

200 quid install?

What's the monthly rental on FTTP I wonder!

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2015, 11:51:29 PM »

Does anyone even need more than 80Mb? I wouldn't even have ordered FTTC if I could have got a tidy 10Mb PTM mode ADSL2+ service.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

anything