Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG610 Y2 firmware  (Read 6658 times)

vel

• Just arrived
HG610 Y2 firmware
« on: February 11, 2014, 08:03:22 PM »

Hi all
Few months ago I've bought Huawei HG610 and set it up in bridged mode. Few days ago, after pulling the power plug out (we just love our kids, right ;) modem did stop working properly. Now when I power it on, power LED goes on, LAN LED (on port I am connected to the PC) starts blinking and then it looks like modem resets after ~20 sec. I cannot go to Settings page (192.168.1.1). Only thing I can do is to hold RESET which brings me to the update firmware page.
I've flashed this firmware (»drive.google.com/folderview?id=0···RGRRblE#), which looks like flashed successfully (I got to the page that says so), but after restart there is no change.
I am not sure if I am using the right firmware (my serial number is 21530306227S18000206 Y2) and on the forum page it is mentioned firmware is for V version.
Does anyone have correct firmware for this modem?
Thanks,
Vel

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: HG610 Y2 firmware
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »

Hello Vel and welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

I am very surprised to know that the simple act of removing the power supply to the modem seems to have precipitated your current misfortune.  :-\

The only way to access the Broadcom boot-loader firmware upgrade page is by holding the reset button whilst powering on the modem and then releasing it ~10 - 20 second following power-up. If that page is being presented by any other means then I suspect that a non-volatile store has been seriously addled. In that case, I will guess that recovery will only be possible via the JTAG interface.

I've flashed this firmware (»drive.google.com/folderview?id=0···RGRRblE#), which looks like flashed successfully (I got to the page that says so), but after restart there is no change.
I am not sure if I am using the right firmware (my serial number is 21530306227S18000206 Y2) and on the forum page it is mentioned firmware is for V version.
Does anyone have correct firmware for this modem?

As for firmware versions for the HG610, I am not sure. Unfortunately you have not given any working link . . . so I have been unable to check.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

vel

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »

Thanks for the welcome burakkucat!
Yes, it did look very strange to me too, but that is what my kids are telling me  ???
So, I can access the Broadcom boot-loader firmware upgrade page in the way you described (holding and releasing RESET button). But I am missing the original firmware to load  :(
Sorry for the link, I did copy/paste from the other forum. Here is the correct link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6wW18mYskvBWnQ4V1BrRGRRblE#
When I use that firmware (RESET, go to boot-loader firmware upgrade page, select the file and apply), modem resets after upgrading, but modem acts the same (resting by itself after ~20 sec and I am not able to access settings page).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 11:24:27 PM »

I've now had a chance to examine the link . . . and it is to the firmware image that Asbokid originally installed on the HG610 devices. So you do have the correct image.  :)

However as your HG610 is still behaving oddly after being re-flashed with that image, I suspect that something more sinister has occurred to the device.  :(

Just to check . . . When you attempt to re-flash the firmware image, are you doing it with the HG610 completely isolated?  :-\  In other words, just the power supply and the one Ethernet lead (to the 'puter which instigates the firmware upgrade) connected to it?

vel

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 11:29:50 PM »

Yes, HG610 is isolated.
I was just wondering if my version of the HG610 (S/N 21530306227S18000206 Y2 HG610) is somehow not compatible with the Asbokid firmware as it is meant to be installed on version V (mine is I guess Y2)...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 12:06:21 AM »

Yes, HG610 is isolated.

That's good.  :) 

I was just wondering if my version of the HG610 (S/N 21530306227S18000206 Y2 HG610) is somehow not compatible with the Asbokid firmware as it is meant to be installed on version V (mine is I guess Y2)...

I'm sorry but I do not follow the logic of the details you are providing.  :no:

Do you have any other link that I can follow, please? (The previous link you provided was just to a particular directory that Asbokid has made publicly viewable from his Google Drive.)

In my grotto, I have a HG610 with S/N "2153..........2066 Y2 HG610" and a screen-shot of it's Device Information page is attached, below.

One other thought, for now. Have you tried a straightened out paper-clip in the Reset hole mode of hardware reset?

vel

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »

Sorry for twisted logic ;)
So, I will try to explain again...
When I connect to the modem with Ethernet cable (isolated) through LAN1 and power it up, I cannot access the Settings page on 192.168.1.1. Modem gets into loop of resetting by itself every 20 seconds. If I then use paperclip and reset, I can get to the firmware upgrade page on 192.168.1.1.
Only firmware that I was able to find is the one from Asbokid made publicly viewable from his Google Drive. If I try to update firmware with that one, it does update but there is no change how the modem behaves after upgrade is done (still resets by itself every 20 sec).
S/N that I've posted was not from the settings page (as I cannot access it :( but from the label on the back of the modem (please see attachment).
What I am trying to find is original firmware for my modem as I suspect the Asbokid firmware is for the different version of HG610 (I think V) and not for modem that I have (version Y2).
Thanks again!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 05:06:55 PM »

Ah, now I understand.

Deep (and rather dimly) in my memory I have a recollection that those Huawei HG610 devices were shipped with Chinese firmware, so all pages appeared with kanji characters. Unfortunately I do not possess a copy of that firmware nor know a location from which it may be downloaded.  :no:

Tavor

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 06:10:25 PM »

Hi,

Sorry to bump this old thread..
I'm having the same problem you described - same modem and started after it was turned off.
LAN link is stopped after 10-20 seconds, and i'm able to ping the modem twice before it's disconnected.
Did you manage to overcome this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Transient

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 07:32:10 AM »

Sorry to bump an old topic, but it has high ranking on Google and no resolution. I ran into this problem with my HG610 and successfully recovered from it, so I wanted to post how to fix it.

It seems it occurs when the NVRAM is corrupt. No amount of reflashing or factory resetting will help.

What you need to do is to open it up and connect to the onboard serial header (TX, RX and GND). You'll need a USB to UART adapter which can be had for quite cheap off eBay. Make sure it is 3.3V and not the old standard RS232 12V or you'll cook the device.

Once connected, use some sort of terminal software (I used RealTerm) and choose the USB device. Speed is 115200-8-N-1 and display is ANSI.

Power on the modem and you should see the boot loader. If you see readable text, make a copy of the details shown. If you see gibberish (or nothing) then you're probably not connected correctly or your speed is wrong.

You should get an option to interrupt the startup process by pressing a key, so press one. From here, one of the available options is to erase the NVRAM, so do that.

Next, it will restart and ask for those details you made a copy of earlier. Type them in carefully matching the original values.

Now we boot the modem like normal and it begins to start up, although if we pay attention to the Linux boot messages, we see a few errors. That's because we still need to give the OS a few details which can be done by logging in, going to the shell (sh) and then following the directions for setting serial number, board number, and MAC address here: https://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/2011/07/17/the-nvram-region-of-the-hg612-flash-memory/

We seem almost done, but a final factory reset (hold the button on the rear for a few seconds) will finish up the remaining missing pieces.

Finally, the device reboots and it comes up just like new. And BTW, if you can't login to the web interface as admin, try using Internet Explorer (yuck) as it seems to work best.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 11:49:31 AM »

Hi transient and welcome.

Thank you for taking the time to post your resolution :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 03:52:03 PM »

Yes, thank you.  :)

Corrupted NVRAM. So it does tie in with what I suspected when Vel first posted over a year ago.