Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How Do I Stop XP Getting On The Internet ?. ( Solved, Thanks )  (Read 9105 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
How Do I Stop XP Getting On The Internet ?. ( Solved, Thanks )
« on: February 19, 2008, 04:45:11 PM »

I have moved onto PCLinux Dual boot with xp.
I still want to keep xp but NOT let it go on the internet.
I want only to access the internet when I boot-up Linux.

MY home network setup.
ADSL Router-->Hardware Firewall (smoothwall)-->Wired network around house.-->DHCP ip addresses.

If I dis-enable my network card under xp then I loose any computer to computer connectivity (Which I want).
Same with TCP/IP .

I do not want to go to static IP's

Any Idea's Please.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:04:47 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

dave.m

• Kitizen
Re: How Do I Stop XP Getting On The Internet ?.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 05:06:21 PM »

I have just had a look at my XP connections and not sure if this is a permanant fix or whether it will reconnect when restarted.
In the Control Panel go to Network & Internet Connections then Network Connecttions.
Right click on the Internet connection icon and select Disable.
If it is only a one off then some boffin will come up with a better solution.
dave

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 05:32:15 PM »

I have just had a look at my XP connections and not sure if this is a permanant fix or whether it will reconnect when restarted.
In the Control Panel go to Network & Internet Connections then Network Connecttions.
Right click on the Internet connection icon and select Disable.
If it is only a one off then some boffin will come up with a better solution.
dave

Thanks Dave, But that is the same as "If I dis-enable my network card under xp then I loose any computer to computer connectivity (Which I want)."
You said "not sure if this is a permanant fix or whether it will reconnect when restarted." It's permanent until you 'enable' it again.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 05:49:32 PM »

Try a free firewall like ZoneAlarm, which you can use to deny all programs outgoing internet access but allow access to anything you mark as trusted, such as the subnet on your local network and so on.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 09:56:49 PM »

Try a free firewall like ZoneAlarm, which you can use to deny all programs outgoing internet access but allow access to anything you mark as trusted, such as the subnet on your local network and so on.

Yes that's correct, having just un-installed all the AVG, Anti spy/mal ware,also ZoneAlarm !. :'(

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 10:14:58 PM »

I'm assuming that you have DHCP running on your network (probably from the router), you want to still be able to use the LAN and that you require no internet connectivity AT ALL when you are running XP? If so then this will do it.....

In XP go into :

Control Panel->Network Connections;

Then right-click on the Local Area Connection icon and select properties;

On the General tab scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), select it and then click the Properties button;

At the bottom you'll see a button labelled Advanced... Click it;

On the next properties page select the IP Settings tab;

Now click the Add... button to add a new default gateway. Select an IP address which doesn't exist on your subnet and enter a metric of 1. eg - if your subnet was 192.168.0.0 then you might pick 192.168.0.253 as the address for the new default gateway. Setting the metric to 1 just ensures that this will be the gateway the XP machine uses;

Click OK etc until you have applied that setting and closed the Local Area Network properties sheet;

Now open a command-line window (Start->Run.. then type cmd) and type tracert news.bbc.co.uk. The traceroute should fail on the first hop but should still be able to resolve the IP address for news.bbc.co.uk.

Job done.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:15:38 PM »

Surely if you are using a router, then accessing other PCs is through the router and not through your internet connection, so disabling the internet connection in reality should not make any difference.

Plus access to your network has to be configured in your Linux settings.

Also XP is only going to connect to the internet if you ask it too, assuming you have disable all and any programs that automatically look for updates.

"Or am I being dumb and missing something"  :-\

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 12:03:26 AM »

I'm assuming that you have DHCP running on your network.

Now open a command-line window (Start->Run.. then type cmd) and type tracert news.bbc.co.uk. The traceroute should fail on the first hop but should still be able to resolve the IP address for news.bbc.co.uk.

Hello.
I put in my first put "MY home network setup.
ADSL Router-->Hardware Firewall (smoothwall)-->Wired network around house.-->DHCP ip addresses. "

So I get DHCP from my Hardware Firewall 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.200
I changed the DGway as you said .
tracert gave ip of 212.58.226.58
and the traceroute  failed
A ping also fails,

Job done .

Well NO, I open Firefox and just happened to be on the bbc news site and it loads up .! :-\

I next changed the DG to 192.168.1.253
Still no good , still connecting.

I USE a Proxy server from the smoothwall firewall box has that go something to do with it. ?.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 12:46:02 AM »

Surely if you are using a router, then accessing other PCs is through the router and not through your internet connection, so disabling the internet connection in reality should not make any difference.

Plus access to your network has to be configured in your Linux settings.

Also XP is only going to connect to the internet if you ask it too, assuming you have disable all and any programs that automatically look for updates.

"Or am I being dumb and missing something"  :-\

Lets say one of the family wants to use a program thats not compatible with Linux, so on one computer they boot into  XP.
I do not want the computer in any way access the internet.
Now my wife may be on another computer and she boots into PCLinux to do her Emails etc.
I may be on another computer playing with Linux.
All Linux machines are configured to go on the internet.
But Boot any into XP = no Internet connection.

[attachment deleted by admin]

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 12:53:40 AM »

Lets say one of the family wants to use a program thats not compatible with Linux, so on one computer they boot into  XP.
I do not want the computer in any way access the internet.

... Boot any into XP = no Internet connection.

Okay, I understand now.
Back to the think tank.

Thanks

edit.

How about if you just set all the XP windows as "User Accounts" that way I am pretty sure you can disable internet access. Just tried that but it does not work.

I know I did this on a friends PC to stop her daughter accessing the net, but can't remember if it was something built into her BT Internet package. Or part of Norton's "Parental Control"
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 01:28:25 AM by oldfogy »

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 07:20:46 AM »

I USE a Proxy server from the smoothwall firewall box has that go something to do with it. ?.

Yes. Remove the proxy server details from your browsers on the XP machine.

The XP machine IS "disconnected" from the internet by changing the gateway but as your proxy server is on the same subnet as the XP machine then the XP machine can obviously still load webpages from that.

You must keep the non-existent default gateway on the same subnet as well.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 06:49:33 PM »

This method may stop internet connections but it also STOPS computer to computer connectivity for moving files, accessing audio files, telnet etc.  :(

Any other idea's ?.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 07:14:12 PM »

Are you able to set up rules on your firewall to deny outbound access?

Most routers, and particuarly a dedicated firewall such as the Smoothwall box should allow you to create rules in which you could block all traffic sent from your LAN IPs to the internet.

Should in theory work great if your XP machines are set to static IPs different to when running Linux.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 07:30:37 PM »

Are you able to set up rules on your firewall to deny outbound access?

Most routers, and particuarly a dedicated firewall such as the Smoothwall box should allow you to create rules in which you could block all traffic sent from your LAN IPs to the internet.

Should in theory work great if your XP machines are set to static IPs different to when running Linux.

Yes I agree, It's something I have been toying with and must get around to trying it.
Do you think I could have XP ones on a different sub-net ?, then if I wanted internet access to one of them I could re-enable it.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 11:24:46 AM »

Having the XP machines on a different subnet may be a problem. I don't know say with a switch (whilst it is a layer 2 MAC address device) if it will work with machines trying to communicate on more than one subnet.

Your firewall would certainly have problems if you only have a single ethernet interface as it will only accept traffic from the subnet it is configured for. Separate subnets should really have seperate physical networks and communicate through a router (with separate interfaces for each with RIP enabled).

So even if your XP machines somehow did see each other, they would not communicate with the firewall.
Pages: [1] 2

anything