Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: the line is moved - next steps  (Read 1272 times)

boogy

the line is moved - next steps
« on: March 29, 2015, 06:33:50 PM »

here's a quick update on a previous topic:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,12266.msg231140.html#msg231140

My move order is completed (about 2 weeks ago) and a new piece of cable has been attached to the old incoming line to take it into the study and an openreach mk2 master socket. I still have my netgear dgn1000.

Routerstats lite shows my noise margin is 6dB and the connection speed is 16818 (speed checkers show approx 12000). There are still glitches where the internet "seizes up" and I go through the ancient ritual of powering the dgn1000 off an on but overall my feeling is that there are far fewer interruptions to service now.

So that's good news - thanks.

I'd like to improve the situation though if possible and have a more consistent internet service with better reporting, perhaps snr tweaking, and have gigabit speeds available rather than 10/100, and wireless ac if possible to help out the macbook air.

As an example of what I'd like to improve - I am backing up an asustor as-304t to a synology ds215j (copy initiated by a venerable dell inspiron 6400) and the speed is 6MB/s with both units connected to an allied telesyn fs705 switch which is connected to the router. What do I need to do to get gigabit network speeds to work?

Any suggestions on what can be done to improve any aspect of all this. Fibre is being pulled here and there so can't be too far away.

cheers

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: the line is moved - next steps
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 07:05:12 PM »

The switch needs replacing for a start, its only 10/100.

Don't use wireless when it can be avoided, wired is always faster and more reliable.

I personally would suggest a Huawei HG612 (unlocked, of course), coupled with an ASUS RT-ACxx router (not the DSL variant), and a proper gigabit switch with jumbo frames support.