Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Download ES shot up when uploading? Is this normal?  (Read 4382 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Download ES shot up when uploading? Is this normal?
« on: March 25, 2015, 02:49:19 PM »

Hi all,

I usually track my ES's every day and make 2 notes daily, usually in the morning and last thing at night. Usually my ES's on the download comes to between 50 and 65 daily.

This mornings ES was +16 download ES's from the last reading I did last night. Usually during the day and evening the ES goes up about 42.

I've just glanced down at the software and its showing that by 2:47pm I'm already up by 62 !

The only thing I've done recently is upload a test video to youtube (I was testing resolution and audio settings). Thats the only new thing I've done out of my usual routine. I dont normally upload much. It seems very coincidental that me uploading something (it was about 800mb's) and me noticing the download ES shot up.

Is this normal behaviour? I would have imagined that the upload ES's would have shot up. But they have stayed constant. At the moment the download is +62 while the upload is +19.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Download ES shot up when uploading? Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 03:43:18 PM »

No, not normal.  :no:

It could just be a co-incidence but you will have to perform further tests to be absolutely sure.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 04:10:16 PM »

Yea,

Hmm i'm thinking its not that now, as I did a test upload and it didnt happen again.

But for some reason I'm watching the stats and the error seconds are going up every minute. Not sure why its started doing that. It went up 6, then 2, then 1, then 1, then 2.

What could suddenly start that happening?

I'll look to try and grab some stats.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 04:22:11 PM »

Ok these are the latest stats.

I'm surprised that the ES as gone up like this, as usually its been very consistant. I have noticed that there have been days were its been slightly higher, then it went back to normal.

I wonder if anyone is working on the cabinet or something.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 05:05:13 PM »

I only have a sleepy cat's eye to cast over your statistics whereas you really need the eye of an Eagle . . .  ::)

Looking at your snapshot graphs, which shows the status of the circuit at the time of the last CPE - DSLAM resynchronisation, your QLN looks rather spiky whilst the SNR, Hlog and Bit Loading look reasonable. Perhaps others more experienced will shortly give their opinions?

I wonder what modem/router you are currently using -- as I don't recall ever seeing such graphs where the US data was missing from three of them.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 05:10:24 PM »

I'm using HG612 Openreach modem, and for the router I have the ASUS RT66U.

No problem. I'm wondering if its a temporary blip. I guess we'll see how it goes for the rest of the day. It was an odd time for it to start shooting up the download ES. When it used to jump up ages ago it used to be around 4pm. But this all happened in the middle of the afternoon.

I'll keep monitoring it.

Thanks for the help :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 05:22:06 PM »

Ah, so you are using an HG612 in a "two box" set-up.

It looks, to me, as if you are possibly not using the latest firmware image for the modem. The give-away is the line beginning with "Path:" in the xdslcmd info --show output. With the latest, current, firmware you would see the word "Bearer:" on that line.

Perhaps you should update the firmware image at an appropriate moment?  :-\

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 05:27:11 PM »

It looks, to me, as if you are possibly not using the latest firmware image for the modem. The give-away is the line beginning with "Path:" in the xdslcmd info --show output. With the latest, current, firmware you would see the word "Bearer:" on that line.

The presence of blue elements in the plots also confirm the use of older firmware (Asbokid's versions?).

The latest version also enables the use of G.INP, which I don't think older versions did.

The Oldham exchange area is now seeing G.INP activation, as per my connection, so it may also now be available for Bowdon?

EDIT:

Retract my last comment (for now) as looking at the band plans, it appears that Bowdon is actually connected to an ECI cabinet.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:31:09 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 06:25:39 PM »

I'm trying to see how long this current connection holds. I've got the latest firmware ready. I'm also looking to hook up the UPS unit in to the mix to at some point.

I'm hoping that ECI's won't be left behind with G.INP

My current modem software and firmware are;

S/W Version: V100R001C01B028SP10
F/W Version: A2pv6C035m.d22g

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure the ECI modems support G.INP with a firmware upgrade. Mine originally didn't report any ReTx stuff in the dsl cpe pipe thingy, a few months ago I checked again and noticed new commands (specifically ReTx blah blah).

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 06:37:17 PM »

I'm pretty sure the ECI modems support G.INP with a firmware upgrade. Mine originally didn't report any ReTx stuff in the dsl cpe pipe thingy, a few months ago I checked again and noticed new commands (specifically ReTx blah blah).

the modems support it, at this point it seems questionable whether or not the ECI DSLAMs do.

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 08:49:34 PM »

I'm trying to see how long this current connection holds. I've got the latest firmware ready. I'm also looking to hook up the UPS unit in to the mix to at some point.

I'm hoping that ECI's won't be left behind with G.INP

My current modem software and firmware are;

S/W Version: V100R001C01B028SP10
F/W Version: A2pv6C035m.d22g

That setup won't support g.Inp ,you need to update the 612 firmwate

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 02:04:58 AM »

I'm wondering if its a temporary blip. I guess we'll see how it goes for the rest of the day. It was an odd time for it to start shooting up the download ES. When it used to jump up ages ago it used to be around 4pm. But this all happened in the middle of the afternoon.

Some of this depends on your starting point.

In your case, you have been through DLM intervention, so FEC and interleaving has been applied - and you seem to suffer (from that one set of stats) from a high proportion of RSCorr relative to the RS count. In english, that means a lot of blocks have been corrupted - about 5% of the total sent downstream - but have been fixed by the error correction mechanism. Because they've been fixed, they don't contribute to the ES counter. However, the sheer number of RScorr tells me that your line is suffering from a fair level of noise, and that DLM probably needed to intervene.

The RSUncorr counter tells us that for every 100 corrupted blocks that gets fixed, roughly 1 block is unfixable. These failures contribute to the CRC counter (aka OHFerr), and in turn affect the ES count. The fact that 5% of the RS data blocks become corrupted, but only 1% of the corrupted ones goes unfixed, tells me that the FEC settings are working - they are giving you a stable line. ES levels of 60ish are quite low; my old line would get 600-800 per day (though DLM hadn't intervened).

You ask about why your ES count rate has increased, and I'd point straight to the number of RScorr and RSuncorr going on. You've been tracking the ES value, but having you been tracking the other parameters too? Those might show any underlying problem, such as whether the noise increases overnight or during the day.

Ultimately, it is the way that several parameters need to be tracked that makes programs like BaldEagle's HG612 Modem Stats useful - the graphs give a feel for dependencies.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 10:11:11 AM »

Thanks for your insight WWWombat.

It's good to get a bit of background story on all these numbers.

I noticed that the 4 SES errors I had was when I was plugging in an ethernet cable to the router. It's on the same table as the modem and the table shook a little, which produced the SES errors. So the modem seems really sensitive to that kinda thing.

At some point I will be adding the UPS power supply in to the mix with pure sine wave to help smooth out the modems electrical supply. I guess thats all I can do at my end to help with errors and stuff like that? Though I accept me adding a UPS might not help it. But I've got the unit now (and this time its the UK version, not the EU version Amazon send out). So when the modem next disconnects I'm going to change up my setup there.

So far its remained connected. I'm happy with my current speed, about 63mb. I just need to hope G.INP comes to ECI cabinets and then hopefully that will help my line. Line is about 800m from the cabinet. Its quite a walk from my house to it.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 05:44:23 PM »

I noticed that the 4 SES errors I had was when I was plugging in an ethernet cable to the router. It's on the same table as the modem and the table shook a little, which produced the SES errors. So the modem seems really sensitive to that kinda thing.

That sort of event would get me checking for poor / suspicious joints, loose plugs in sockets, etc. A gentle shaking of either the modem or the router should not cause ES nor SES.  :-\

Pages: [1] 2

anything