Announcements > ISP Offers & Deals

Latest Virgin Media 'Freebie'

<< < (3/6) > >>

oldfogy:
I don't know which type or what the difference is (ADSL2+ or VDSL2), although I'm not expecting things to go without a hitch, because in-spite of telling the helpline operator my existing phone is through cable, and the BT socket in the house has never been connected in the street box, but we'll have to wait and see what happens on that score on the day, although I mentioned it a few times I was assured there will not be a connection fee, which was one of the reasons for not switching in the past when they wanted £150 to connect the BT line, which at the time would have wiped out any saving in switching so just put up with Virgin.
If things do go without a hitch, then that will be a bonus.

Black Sheep:
I highly suspect you are not on your own, OF ?? This mythical 'need for speed' IMHO, is driven by obsessives and pedants.

I'm not talking about individuals such as Weaver (hope he doesn't mind the reference ??), who are limited due to geographical constraints. I'm on about Mr Average who lives in a terraced house a few hundred yards from the street DSLAM.
They are for the most part more than happy with the VDSL2 speeds they get, especially for the price they get it for.

This constant call by the few for Gigabit FTTP, would not be required by the masses ............ especially when the tariff is observed by the EU. 

Glad you've halved your outgoings OF, a frugal move indeed.  :) :)

oldfogy:
One of the other problems with these speed upgrades is that as with Virgin Media 'following court mandates' blocks most of the sites that 'if I was still pirating' would still want to use, even though the use of a VPN bypasses that problem for downloading the actual torrent.

As for receiving email, well 2 seconds of 22 seconds would not make any difference, but obviously there are times when speed may be required, but for me not now very often.

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: oldfogy on December 25, 2015, 06:43:32 PM ---I don't know which type or what the difference is (ADSL2+ or VDSL2),

--- End quote ---

A TT ADSL2+ service will originate from their own MSAN, installed in your local telephone exchange. A VDSL2 service will originate from an Openreach MSAN, configured as a DSLAM, and contained in one of those ubiquitous green cabinets.

So a TT ADSL2+ service will be up to 24 Mbps DS, whereas the TT VDSL2 service could either be up to 40/2 Mbps DS/US or up to 80/20 Mbps DS/US.

oldfogy:
In which case as my speed will be 'upto' 17mbps I guess  it might be the ADSL2+ connection, but TBH providing I can receive emails, surf the net, book my holidays and a bit of on-line banking then I should be adequately taken care of.

My only other concern at the moment is if my 8 port (Gigabit Ethernet Switch Model GS605) switch box will be suitable, but at a guess I'm thinking it will be, if not, again not to worry as it pushes me to go ahead and reduce/downsize my equipment which is also something else I want to do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version