Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A heads-up - [VCMM line cards change out].  (Read 11860 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
A heads-up - [VCMM line cards change out].
« on: March 21, 2015, 04:51:24 PM »

For those who collate stats ...........

VCMM Card change-outs

The VCMM card is a line card that supports traffic in the Huawei 288 DSLAM cabinet.

There are approx 5,000 VCMM cards in the NGA network which have line test functionality not used in Openreach, this impacts our test systems.

The VCMM card change out programme will replace any offending cards – there’s no change to the card functionality, it’s just the redundant function that will be removed.
When is it happening?
We’re changing out 500 cards a week starting in March and aim to get the programme completed in May.

----
edit by admin - topic title
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:03:13 PM by kitz »

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: A heads-up .....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 04:57:24 PM »

Wow, nice heads-up. Thanks ;)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 02:05:33 AM »

That's not promising. From what I've previously read, the VCMM card is needed to support vectoring.

Hopefully the "there’s no change to the card functionality" statement does hold.

48 ports per card, so nearly 250,000 lines affected.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 12:23:47 PM »

Thank you BS :)

That's not promising. From what I've previously read, the VCMM card is needed to support vectoring.

Hopefully the "there’s no change to the card functionality" statement does hold.

48 ports per card, so nearly 250,000 lines affected.

From the Huawei website

Does MA5616 support vectoring?

Yes, but will require CCUE main control board, software will be V800R313C00, power board should be high power DC, also the VDSL2 board should be 48 ports VDSL2 board VCMM.

The MA5616 is the smaller 128 cab, but the VCMMs are also the vectoring cards used in the MA560x dslams, so not sure exactly whats going on  :-\

The mention of testing implies something to do with SELT/DELT/MELT.   I think BT may already been using SELT & DELT for donkey's years as Ive heard the term used in places like the PN reps on their forums.  DELT definitely.  So that leaves us with the newer MELT

They do have other line cards such as the VDMM, but that also supports MELT.  I see a mention that Huawei also developed another new line card in 2012 for the MAQ5600 but I dont know the model no without any more digging, nor if they are compatible with the MA5603T
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: A heads-up - [VCMM line cards change out].
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 02:25:32 PM »

A further note on this.
A post by Andy here.

OR have had issues with MA5616/MA5603T line cards due to something called ELE-M1.

ELE-M1 appears to be [Alternative] Electrical Length Estimation Mode for VDSL.  According to TR-252 this is used to set the parameters for the UPBO & DPBO profiles. [page 18]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 03:07:37 PM »

you trust andy as a source?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 06:18:23 PM »

Found this, below .....

'Modems that do not support (A)ELEM will adversely affect those that do. This is due to the incorrect upstream power back off being applied'.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 07:24:03 PM »

There's a publicly available PDF from Openreach
"Huawei EMP 2750 CPE Release Notes" at the bottom in the Modem Conformance Test box

which confirms the AELEM fix.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 07:38:26 PM »

Was reading the TR-252 and on page 19/40 it say's something about RFI, could someone expand on this and is this is being used on the 288 cabs.

RFI Profile
RFI notches are necessary when radio services may be disturbed during operation, or to protect DSL Lines from RFI, therefore this parameter should be separated from all other profiles. The RFI profile MUST contain the following parameter:
- RFIBANDS

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 08:33:50 PM »

That is what Konrado5 saw when his ISP transferred his circuit to a new DSLAM/MSAN. All users on the new equipment had a profile applied which "notched out" the frequencies of the 160 metre Amateur Radio Band ("Top Band").
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 09:29:33 PM »

That is what Konrado5 saw when his ISP transferred his circuit to a new DSLAM/MSAN. All users on the new equipment had a profile applied which "notched out" the frequencies of the 160 metre Amateur Radio Band ("Top Band").

So what your saying is the tones being effected by RFI are notched out/unavailable by the RFI profile, don't think I would like this applied to my line as the RFI comes and go's over a 24 hour period, so notching out the RFI tones/bands 24/7 would impact my attainable sync and thus lower sync rate but the DS SNRM would also become steady  :-\
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:32:10 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 09:41:50 PM »

Yes, that's correct. Somehow I can't see Beattie Bellman creating a specific RFI profile for your cabinet's DSLAM/MSAN that disables the tones which are "splatted" by Radio China International!  :-X

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 10:00:20 PM »

Yes, that's correct. Somehow I can't see Beattie Bellman creating a specific RFI profile for your cabinet's DSLAM/MSAN that disables the tones which are "splatted" by Radio China International!  :-X

It would be better if Bettie Bellman sent an undercover squad to those transmitter pylons in china that are effecting UK broadband users and plant C4 charges at the base then get to a safe distance and fire in the hole then get the Bellman agents out of there safe and sound.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfIWmVviXhU
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:04:16 AM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 10:06:40 PM »

There's a publicly available PDF from Openreach
"Huawei EMP 2750 CPE Release Notes" at the bottom in the Modem Conformance Test box

which confirms the AELEM fix.

Somewhat off topic but viewing the documents available via the above link shows a mention of the "Introduction of MA5611 Fibre to the Remote Node DSLAM".

As of yet, I have not been able to find any details of a Huawei MA5611.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 01:04:21 AM »

Thanks guys for finding the additional info, a quick scan suggests that the MA5603T were using VDMF lincards and the MA5616 was using VDSH linecards. Yet BS's post implies VCMM line cards already in the network, so Im a bit confused about a swap out and  which way.  Have I misunderstood something or are they saying that all cards will now be VCMMs.

Whatever way it appears that they have found an issue that causes significant reduction in upstream rates and loss of syncs on long lines.

---------------------

BTW... That document also references EMP2750 which looks like the ISPs may be able to get better monitoring tools and diagnostics.  It would be nice if they would have added the facility for the ISP to reset the DLM in there too, but sadly not. Anyhows......

It seems to imply EMP(R)2750 due for delivery 24th Jan 2015 and references back to the Industry Forums secure login pages for ISPs, that Andy has been harping on about recently.

I did find a public document though

GEA -FTTC Brandenburg NGA

Brandenburg NGA is an enhancement to the NGA Test & Diagnostic systems to improve the current method of determining if a GEA - FTTC circuit is experiencing performance problems and if that issue is due to a network or home environment problem.
This will be achieved through advanced diagnosis of network data to improve the location and diagnosis of faults causing poor SFBB performance and making additional test result information available to CPs .
Improvements will be made to the way of determining;

a) The cause of a drop in speed on a circuit.
b) The location and impact of interference problems.

CPs will have more information about the performance of their customer’s circuit which will enable their advisors to have a more valuable and insightful conversation with them about their problem, improved pre-qualification of any fault conditions and undertake better decision making regarding choosing the appropriate T2R products from Openreach.
In order to fully benefit from these changes CPs will need to consume the new information sent by Dialogue Services when a test result is returned.
-----
Pages: [1] 2

anything