Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TV/FM Whole House Distribution Amplifiers.  (Read 6495 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
TV/FM Whole House Distribution Amplifiers.
« on: March 16, 2015, 09:12:26 PM »

TV/FM Whole House Distribution Amplifiers.  :hmm:

I have a Out side TV & FM aerial and Mast Head Amp which feeds in to a mix of old TV amplifiers  in the house which in-turn feed various rooms.

I want to replace the 'mix of old TV amplifiers' and have new 'Distribution amplifier' in a central location.

The largest I can find is an 2 x 8 way one (2 x VHF Radio + 2 x TV ).

http://www.labgear.co.uk/category/amplifiers/distribution-amplifiers/16-output-mains-powered-digilink-amp/1002/1014/255/

Does anyone know of any larger ones or could I use a splitter from the aerial feeds and feed two of the above ?, or any advice on a way to get 16 room TV/FM supply.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:05:48 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: TV/FM Whole House Distribution Amplifiers.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 10:40:14 PM »

Do you also use satellite?

I use a multiswitch - see first post here for a picture.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 11:07:50 PM »

Do you also use satellite?

I use a multiswitch - see first post here for a picture.

No Satellite  :no:

Thanks for the link but I have your project up on another tab  ;) and it looks like it's coming on great. :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 01:08:21 AM »

Hallo Tickmike
I have a SLXGOLD booster in my loft. Mine gives 4 outputs all covering Fm up to uhf. You could certainly use a splitter on the input to give you 16 outputs The only drawback is if your initial signal strength is low you might impair the signal to noise ratio. Luckily with our digital systems these days that's not usually a problem. You might notice it on analoue FM but if you use DAB that should not be affected. The SLX8G is available from TLC Direct for £19.20 in my 2013 catalogue but they have a web site. Good luck.
Tony

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 08:52:43 AM »

I'd probably choose the simple route and fit a second aerial (or aerials).  ;)

A level up from us; we have an 8-way amplifier with 2 inputs (TV and FM) which suffices, especially as we now also have a quad-LNB satellite dish.
Though my amplifier (can't recall the brand/model) does also have a  single high-level output connector for (presumably) feeding a daisy-chained secondary unit. Check the specs for such a facility.

Edit, slight correction:
My 8-way Antiference A280D developed a fault a while back and I replaced it with a Philex SLX6 which is just 6-way (plus "full") output. Must have been after the dish arrived.
The instructions do specifically say that the "Full" (18dB gain) outlet can then be further split.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:02:52 AM by HPsauce »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 02:18:10 PM »

Useful info thanks ;).

old set up.
I have two coax cables from my present amp outputs to each room, UHF TV and VHF FM.
----------------------------------
The new set up.
The combined output from  these  'Labgear' amps are sent down one coax cable to each room,  I would have to use some kind of faceplate that can then split the signal into a TV coax socket and a VHF FM coax socket .

What type of faceplate do you use .?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 02:25:19 PM »

No idea what brand as I got them ages ago, but just has a single coax input behind and two coax outlets on the face, labelled TV and FM.
Simple small circuit board inside that presumably has a basic filter setup to split the signals appropriately. Works fine.
They look exactly like this one:

I don't bother with these for TV-only locations, just normal ones.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 08:55:41 PM »

I use that same faceplate in the lounge but not bothered elsewhere.
Tony

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 02:54:08 PM »

Thanks.

My problem is I have already made some face plates some years ago with the two sockets on each with it's own coax running back to the old amps.
 But also on these 'Double socket size' faceplate's is a 'Audio' socket, they are in each room .

Any idea what I would need to make up my own 'splitter' circuit ?.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 04:52:30 PM »

Since there are both UHF and FM frequencies available, if you only have a device that needs one or the other, just use one socket. If you need both, a resistive splitter between the two will do. It might be a bit pricey to use retailed splitters, you could make your own if you have a soldering iron. A Y type splitter needs 3 x 25 ohm resistors or a delta type 3 x 75 ohm.
Tony

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 08:43:10 PM »

Since there are both UHF and FM frequencies available, if you only have a device that needs one or the other, just use one socket. If you need both, a resistive splitter between the two will do. It might be a bit pricey to use retailed splitters, you could make your own if you have a soldering iron. A Y type splitter needs 3 x 25 ohm resistors or a delta type 3 x 75 ohm.
Tony

Thanks tony I will try that  :), I probably have all the bits to do all my face plates  ;).

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 12:13:11 AM »

Connected the TV side of the distribution amp up today and I'm Not impressed with the TV picture, BBC 1, 2 are ok but we tried to use Freeview ch 37 and it kept cutting off  :'(
I tried other rooms and they where the same  :(.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 10:54:19 AM »

I would suspect that the initial signal level is low and the additional attenuation caused by the splitter on the distribution amp is taking the sig/nouse ratio below what is acceptible for the receivers being fed. a better/resited aerial or mast head preamp might be the next things to try. If you have a local friendly aerial man/dealer he may be able to measure the signal level coming off your aerial.
Tony

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 01:18:05 PM »

Due to our location (limited LOS to Waltham Tx, same for Sutton Coldfield Tx) I fought a losing battle from 2000-2011 with TV amplifiers & DVB-T.

The problem with DVB-T is that its simply not as resilient as the old analogue system - mainly because the Tx power levels are usually < 20% of the analogue Tx levels. It doesn't help that many of the multiplexes have what I consider to be borderline overloading in terms of the number of channels & channel encoding.

On top of the problems with amplifying noise & dreadful signal discrimination I found that various receiver front-ends would be overloaded while others were fine - this from the same amp output. So I bit the bullet & got an amp with variable gain on each output & put that in the loft. That was OK until one of the frequent changes to multiplexes happened (we've had 5 changes of frequency & probably a dozen changes to multiplex encoding) which would require manual adjustment of outputs again.

I even installed a couple of these (older models) : http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/hdhomerun-connect-au/ as it was getting to the stage that streaming over the network was easier than balancing out each receiver.

Then "HD" came along using 256QAM which would require new DVB-T receivers.....

Anyway I got sick of this & decided to get Sky to install a sat dish with 4 LNBs (outputs). Hooked a "Freesat" (DVB-S) box up to the spares & it works much much better than "Freeview" (DVB-T).

tl;dr if you have garbage reception then DVB-T is a waste of time & money - get a dish installed & switch to DVB-S.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:25:59 PM by rizla »

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 04:25:46 PM »

Rizla makes a very valid point about overloading and is a further prompt to get the signal levels measured. You can sort out overloading (if that is the problem) by inserting attenuators in the feeds to the receivers and seeing if there is an improvement. If there is none it's probably the input signal level. It all points to finding someone who can measure signal levels.
Tony
Pages: [1] 2

anything