Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows XP Service Pack 3  (Read 4450 times)

soms

• Reg Member
Windows XP Service Pack 3
« on: February 15, 2008, 10:46:48 PM »

For those of us using Windows XP, Service Pack 3 is due to come out this year.

It will include all post-SP2 updates and adds some features to work with Windows Server 2008.

An interesting point is that it does not include Internet Explorer 7 so you cans still run with IE6 if you like which is good.

Whichever version of IE you have will be fully patched by SP3.

Also you will be able to make an installation disc (for unattended installs amd so on) and not need to provide a licence key. This means you can use one unattended disc for multiple installations and then enter the licence key when prompted after Windows has installed.

Microsoft Overview of Windows XP SP3

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 05:43:03 AM »

An interesting point is that it does not include Internet Explorer 7 so you cans still run with IE6 if you like which is good.

And Windows Update no longer nags you if you've happened to hide the update for IE7... I've been using a pre-release version for a few weeks now on both my windows PC's with no problems.  It would appear that SP3 is not much more than SP2 + all the interim upgrade patches... not the major system upgrade that SP2 was.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 05:46:10 AM by Floydoid »
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

geoff02

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 07:09:48 AM »

For those of us using Windows XP, Service Pack 3 is due to come out this year.

It will include all post-SP2 updates and adds some features to work with Windows Server 2008.

Whichever version of IE you have will be fully patched by SP3.

Also you will be able to make an installation disc (for unattended installs amd so on) and not need to provide a licence key. This means you can use one unattended disc for multiple installations and then enter the licence key when prompted after Windows has installed.

I think it is due for general release around 24.3.08

Microsoft Overview of Windows XP SP3
Geoff

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 09:12:28 AM »

I don't mind what Windows updates do to IE6 or 7 since I don't use either;  I prefer Opera and Firefox.  However it does get me wound up and annoyed when every update changes my computer settings to use Outlook as my default email and I then have to go into Internet Explorer to cancel it and get Thunderbird back :-X

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 09:26:29 PM »

No more service packs for me having just gone onto PCLinux 2007, Although I 'm keeping dual boot with xp, but I will stop xp going on the internet.
re. SP3  "Also you will be able to make an installation disc (for unattended installs amd so on) and not need to provide a licence key. This means you can use one unattended disc for multiple installations and then enter the licence key when prompted after Windows has installed."

This is not much use for the average user although It's useful for firms  / schools etc.

I don't mind what Windows updates do to IE6 or 7 since I don't use either;  I prefer Opera and Firefox.  However it does get me wound up and annoyed when every update changes my computer settings to use Outlook as my default email and I then have to go into Internet Explorer to cancel it and get Thunderbird back :-X

I use FF and opera for a long time with xp much safer !.

re."does get me wound up and annoyed when every update changes my computer settings to use Outlook as my default email and I then have to go into Internet Explorer to cancel it and get Thunderbird back"

You go to 'Run' and type   msconfig   press ok   then go to 'services' and stop Outlook starting up at boot by unticking it..
Then make sure TB is set to 'default' in it's preferences.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 10:05:47 PM »

I use Firefox as well but enjoy having the choice not to have to have IE7 installed on my XP machine.

Indeed the only time i use IE6 is for Windows Update and the odd MS-only website.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 01:26:21 PM »

I use Firefox as well but enjoy having the choice not to have to have IE7 installed on my XP machine.

Indeed the only time i use IE6 is for Windows Update and the odd MS-only website.

I just use Firefox along with the IE tab add-on.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."