Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Business broadband vs Domestic broadband online gaming  (Read 4015 times)

usermac

Business broadband vs Domestic broadband online gaming
« on: March 15, 2015, 03:31:15 PM »

Is there a difference in performance between Business broadband and Domestic broadband when it comes to online gaming. I notice around 16:00 hours my pings just go up and up and am welcomed with lag - latency issue's. 

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Business broadband vs Domestic broadband online gaming
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 07:32:49 PM »

I believe it depends on the ISP and their traffic management policies.

Some will have improved traffic prioritisation for business customers some won't.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 01:55:38 AM »

As stated by jid, it depends upon the service provider. Most ISPs offer better (faster) support to business customers.

BT Wholesale based ISPs (such as BT, Plusnet, Zen etc) will usually get elevated performance on the BTw network, but its up to the ISP how much priority they are given on their own network.   

Some ISPs will also offer a half way option eg. years ago I used to pay Plusnet £5 pm extra to get maxPremium rather than normal maxdsl as my exchange frequently suffered from congestion.  It didnt give me priority on the Plusnet network though. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 10:38:20 AM »

Hi

I think this thread is related to usermac previous thread over latency.

I think usermac latency is beyond his control, as it's upstream

You may want to google lagbuster, I think it's lagbuster.com, which may help but I have not tried the product.

Many thanks

John

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 12:34:55 PM »

Plusnet appear to be very gamer aware but I can't remember if you're on a WBC enabled exchange? So you might move to them and end up on the same backwards source routed path, at least this is my assumption from reading (and not understanding) more SINs last week than I can count!

AAISP also appear to have a very strong reputation for dealing with BT. I think if I was in an area where I was effectively 'shafted' then I would be looking at them, so they could advocate on my behalf for the best possible gaming experience.

It may be worth raising your trace route as an official fault, even if most consider it cosmetic. Probably worth double checking you're not backing up to that remote drive in the evenings or anything similar first though. The 'superficial' doubling of latency on hop 4 isn't really enough to make games unplayable, imo.

usermac

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 08:28:01 PM »

Thanks for the advise I will check lag buster.com cheers John also I have tried to raise a problem with latency but every time they say there is nothing wrong everything looks normal. What I do find interesting was when I had interleaved changed to fast the 1st time my Target noise levels were 6db and my latency was 10-15

5. DSL uptime:   10 days, 21:56:43
Data rate:   448 / 8128
7. Maximum data rate:   1228 / 8128
8. Noise margin:   26.0 / 11.7                                could the dlm put more noise on a line to keep speed down on a strong line>?
9. Line attenuation:   3.0 / 8.3
10. Signal attenuation:   3.0 / 7.8

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 08:49:12 AM »

Your SNRM values have nothing to do with the issues you're experiencing.

Your attenuation suggests you're on a mega short line, you should have zero issues. It's just unfortunate no one will take the latency thing seriously. If TT serve your exchange, I think AAISP also resell via them, so with those line stats, you'd be looking at full ADSL2+ synch and proper pings.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:51:44 AM by boost »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 11:54:17 AM »

Your SNRM values have nothing to do with the issues you're experiencing.

Your attenuation suggests you're on a mega short line, you should have zero issues. It's just unfortunate no one will take the latency thing seriously. If TT serve your exchange, I think AAISP also resell via them, so with those line stats, you'd be looking at full ADSL2+ synch and proper pings.

As boost says your line should experience full sync speed on ADSL2+, TT I was with on LLU and had no latency problems whatsoever. But it's up to you who you pick as the ISP, they all could have busy exchanges and yours could be one.

Plusnet (who I assume you're with), use BTW backhaul, and its likely a standard Home broadband package from an LLU provider would do you much better.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

usermac

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 03:51:26 PM »

My ISP is BT also  my  Exchange code:   STMCHDV  don't think it does adsl2.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »

Micheldever, Hampshire.

ADSL and ADSLmax appear to be the only two offerings available.  :(

Please enter the telephone number for your line into this checker and then post the result obtained (omitting your telephone number).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

usermac

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 06:41:08 PM »

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

ADSL Max   Up to 8   --   7 to 8   Available
Fixed Rate   2   --   --   Available
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Thank you for your interest.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 07:51:11 PM »

Thank you.

That confirms there is only the basic ADSL and ADSL Max services available to you.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 12:09:28 PM »

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Peering transits used by the ISP  especially when connecting to anything outside the uk, some of the smaller isp's  seem to peer direct , where as some of the mass market ones don't  this can make all the difference,  especially the stability/consistency  of the  latency, the less fluctuation /jitter  the better If this increase in latency is at peak times , then a change of isp may solve this peak time issue,  but if the increase is due to a local issue capacity  at your exchange then it's unlikely to change by a lot, unless the isp orders elevated from BTW All depends on how bad things are  capacity wise

anything