Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: hg612 and asus rt-n66u slower than sky fibre sr102  (Read 1527 times)

Homer71

hg612 and asus rt-n66u slower than sky fibre sr102
« on: March 13, 2015, 06:15:06 PM »

i have a hg612 unlocked and a asus rt-n66u with the merlin firmware my problem is I was getting 15-17mb dl speed but useless wifi around the house with the sr102 After a real chew on I changed to having my own equipment.
What I've found is I have decent wifi around the house but only between 5-6mb dl that's Ethernet at various times of day I was going to contact sky but am I correct in thinking I'm not supposed to use my own equipment.
Are there any settings on either the modem or router I can adjust. At present I can't watch a video streaming service at all without buffering I was even struggling to stream music without buffering last week.
I've even found a relations standard sky broadband connection better to stream video than mine with 4 people using the wifi connection at the same time they within a few feet even use the same exchange as me.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: hg612 and asus rt-n66u slower than sky fibre sr102
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 08:08:32 PM »

I find with dual band wirless routers it's better to seperate the 2.4GHz band from the 5.0GHz band by using two different SSID's on each band.

Just use the 5GHz SSID for streaming videos and use the 2.4GHz SSID band for browsing