Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Virgin Media Free Upgrade to 10Mb  (Read 11296 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Virgin Media Free Upgrade to 10Mb
« on: February 15, 2008, 06:37:34 PM »

Virgin Media are upgrading the M size package (4Mb) to 10Mb for FREEeee  :thumbs:

We like to give our customers the best service we possibly can. That’s why we’re upgrading your broadband speed from up to 4Mb to up to 10Mb - free. No catch. No strings attached.

Get ready for up to 10Mb
Your upgrade will happen automatically. No forms to fill or phone numbers to ring. And because Virgin Broadband comes via fibre optic cable (not telephone wires) your speed isn’t dependent on how close you are to a telephone exchange. It’s all part of our continuous investment in bringing you the fastest, easiest-to-use broadband in the UK.

The upgrade will start during February and will roll out region by region until the end of the summer. Keep an eye on the roll out plan at virginmedia.com/evenfaster for the latest news on your switchover date.

http://newsletter.virginmedia.com/re?l=9x898sI37tk3g8Ib

However, anyone just starting with Virgin Media will automatically get the 20Mb connection for only £20 PM.

But still good news for us existing customers.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Virgin Media Free Upgrade to 10Mb
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 06:54:53 PM »

>> But still good news for us existing customers.

Indeed ...  :)

Now if only they would expand their network to give more users more choice of a different technology :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 10:20:21 PM »

looks like my exchange has to wait for Fibre Optic. Can you believe Fibre Optic was being planned as far back as 2002 when broadband was just taking off :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 07:27:30 AM »

I remember when we first got cable at our old address,1994,which was then installed by Yorkshire Cable.We only live 2 miles from there now and still don't have cable :(.There are certain areas in Sheffield which are cable enabled and quite a few which are not.I am wondering if it has anything to do with the access to certain properties,ie,the running of cables etc.You would think from 1994 till now everyone would be able to benefit from cable technology.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 09:08:10 AM »

I have cable installed (our house was connected back in the nineties) and we had it in use for TV for a year back then.  I've never fancied using them again as they now only sell things in bundles.  I don't want TV, am happy with my phone supplier, but they don't want to sell just a broadband connection.  I don't know why they are so reluctant since the connection is all there and they write to me about every eight weeks extolling the benefits of their services!

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 09:31:16 AM »

We were the first area in Sheffield to get cable tv and because of that got the whole package(movies,sport etc) free for 6 months.It was brilliant,better than having a sky dish as there was never any interference.After the 6 months the whole package was only £15.99 a month.I bet its a lot more expensive now.

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 10:45:06 AM »

When I got my first computer back in 2001, I already had NTL telephone and tv, so I automatically went straight on to their broadband, which was just coming in (though I didn't know anything about it of course)

I can remember my son setting things up for me, and all he kept saying was "It's so fast, I can't believe it"

I've been with them ever since and would be very reluctant to change

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 10:56:11 AM »

Around here LCL (who became Diamond Cable, who were then bought by NTL) cabled this area up around 1990. It was analogue only though until about 2003 when the amount of customers they were losing to Sky Digital finally sunk in at NTL HQ so that was when cable broadband appeared here.

UncleUB - Virgin don't want to know about digging ANYTHING up :) I've mentioned this before (on usenet probably) but Virgin will refuse to supply a cable service if the area between the boundary of your property and the house is anything other than lawn. Pave it, gravel it or whatever and your address will no longer be supplied with a new service - ie Virgin will continue to supply you with your existing service but should you cancel then you won't be able to get cable at that address again. We actually had NTL cable connections inside this house when we bought it and their service was available to us until about 2003 or so when their database changed to show that service was unavailable. It took me a while to work it out but every property on this street which has had a driveway extended/relaid no longer has Virgin's cable service available to it according to their database - even the ones which already had a service from Virgin (NTL then). This was finally confirmed when the next-door neighbours (who had the Virgin phone/TV/BB cable service but cancelled it) had their driveway extended over part of the lawn - about 9 months later they found that they couldn't get back the same service they'd had from Virgin. It took them a while but Virgin eventually told them that it WAS to do with the driveway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 11:05:59 AM »

Well rizla that sums it up then,because from the road you go up 3 steps,then up the garden path and up another 3 steps to enter the front door.More chance get cable up scarfell pike. :D

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 12:25:17 AM »

More chance get cable up scarfell pike. :D
I think they got their upgrade last week, but it was a uphill struggle all the way.

Virgin Media are upgrading the M size package (4Mb) to 10Mb for FREEeee  :thumbs:

We like to give our customers the best service we possibly can.

The upgrade will start during February and will roll out region by region until the end of the summer.

Keep an eye on the roll out plan at virginmedia.com/evenfaster for the latest news on your switchover date.

I just thought I would give an update to this upgrade offer.
Baring in mind the original date and I do realise they said by the end of summer.
But as far as giving customers what they want, well the "Roll out plan" has not been updated for over a month.
No doubt it will happen "eventually" but I think they are trying to keep people hanging on as long as possible.

But there is some very good news, Virgin Media have now dropped the 25 pence per minute call charges to their internet help call centre.
But no mention if it's still based in India.

anything