Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: HG612 Modem Stats v 5.0 Full Release for Windows users  (Read 21929 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
HG612 Modem Stats v 5.0 Full Release for Windows users
« on: March 09, 2015, 09:31:08 PM »

As of 9th March 2015, completely updated HG612 Modem Stats programs are available for existing users via the system’s GUI.

The full system is available for new users or existing users wishing to completely refresh everything via the usual download site:-

http://www.freewarefiles.com/HG612-Modem-Stats_program_84567.html

If obtaining the zip file from FreewareFiles.com, click the blue “Download Now” button & choose one of the two “Download Locations for: HG612 Modem Stats 5.0” links

If setting the system up from the downloaded zip file, ensure “Expand folders” (or similar terminology) is enabled & unzip the files to the root folder of Drive C:\ for the various folders and files to be created in their default locations.

These default locations (and various default settings) can be changed by users if desired.

What’s new in Release 5.0 March 2015
=====================================

=========================================================================================
  NOTE:-
  Version 4.0 was never fully released as only various beta versions
  were released for testing purposes
 =========================================================================================

*  Appears to work O.K. with Windows 10

*  Added support for connections where G.INP has been enabled
   The programs will operate as per usual until such time G.INP is enabled by BT OPenreach
   (on a phased basis starting February 2015)

As soon as G.INP has been enabled, the v 5 programs will detect & store the
   new/changed/additional data & generate individual graphs & montages of them accordingly

This has been tested on HG612 modems only at this stage, due to the lack of any data
   from Billion and ZyXel modems (& any others that operate in a similar manner)

*  Added MydslWebStats web based support
   Once registered via the GUI link, users can now view their most important stats online
   from anywhere in the world

*  Various programming reliability improvements

*  Increased event/error data stored in log files (optional)

Storage of this extensive program troubleshooting data is switched ON by default

However, as the log files rapidly become huge,the options to store extensive
   error/event data can be switched OFF via the GUI & switched on again if there
   is ever a need to debug suspected program errors

*  LOS, LOF & LOM data now recorded & plotted in FULL__MONTY & individual ongoing graphs

*  Various improvements to the graphing displays, now also showing average error counts
   per minute, per hour, per day & total error counts for the graphed period in some of
   the graph title bars

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 Modem Stats v 5.0 Full Release for Windows users
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:04:36 PM »

The update went very well using Ronski's GUI update function many thanks to all.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 10:45:35 AM »

I used the GUI update function, and both solved a problem, and hit a slight snag...

Snag: After the update, I had the GUI warning me that modem_stats had the wrong number of fields; the details of the error were available in the GUI Error Log.txt file.

However, it appears the update was only part-way through: I had to do a second upgrade to include the "uploader". After this was finished, all seems to be running normally again.

Problem solved: I swapped to a Billion 8800NL, a week ago, and lost the ability to perform snapshot graphs. This was restored with the update.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 05:32:57 PM »

Thanks for the feedback WWWombat.

I'm glad it's now apparently working O.K. for you.

:thumbs:

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 06:37:44 PM »

Update went well. I had to take down avast's shields for the update to perform properly. When it was done, everything was back up and running again.

Thanks for making and keeping this program updated. Its an excellent source of information :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 06:54:48 PM »

BE are the billion 8800nl fixes in this release? (ommited from changelog)

sorry I didnt have time to test zyxel.

Also G.INP wont work on the billion anyway as the firmware doesnt even support it yet :D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 07:33:32 PM »

BE are the billion 8800nl fixes in this release? (ommited from changelog)

Yes. They are included in this vague changelog entry:-

*  Various programming reliability improvements  ;)

Also G.INP wont work on the billion anyway as the firmware doesnt even support it yet :D

O.K.

G.INP hasn't been tested with a ZyXel either (yet).
(Hopefully), the programs are now ready for it though.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 07:41:22 PM »

Update went well. I had to take down avast's shields for the update to perform properly. When it was done, everything was back up and running again.

Hmmm. I tried Avast for a few days when I thought AVG was becoming a little too bloated & eating memory.
I soon ditched it though as I found it a bit of a P.I.T.A. with its false positives & its method of dealing with them  >:(

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=137512.msg1208045#msg1208045

Thanks for making and keeping this program updated. Its an excellent source of information :)

You're welcome.

I just hope it is of real use for some of you, particularly in helping to 'prove' physical connection faults when tests come back as LTOK.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 08:55:53 PM »

I used the GUI update function, and both solved a problem, and hit a slight snag...

Snag: After the update, I had the GUI warning me that modem_stats had the wrong number of fields; the details of the error were available in the GUI Error Log.txt file.

I've seen this happen once on my system and also on someone elses, it's just a minor bug that happens during the latest update. If it persists I'll look into it.

However, it appears the update was only part-way through: I had to do a second upgrade to include the "uploader". After this was finished, all seems to be running normally again.

This is normal behaviour, the version of the GUI you were using was unaware of the Uploader program, the updated version of the GUI then checked for updates and found the program missing so offered the further updates.

I'm going to make the suggestion that anybody updating should temporarily disable their anti virus, especially if running Avast. When I update Avast complains about various programs and whisks them away, I then manually put them back, manually scan them with Avast and it pronounces all is OK. So one part of Avast thinks it contains a virus, whilst another says it's OK, does make me wonder just how reliable Avast is!

Part of the problem is that Anti virus programs inspect the code and look for suspicious behaviour and blocks them if it finds anything odd. When hundreds of thousands of people are using a program they will get many reports of false positives and investigate, with our programs with probably a few hundred or so users I doubt they get many reports at all.

So if any one's anti virus flags any of our programs as a virus please report them as a false positives, the anti virus companies will then take a closer look and white list them.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 07:28:52 PM »

Done that with Symantec for you

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 10:22:36 PM »

Done that with Symantec for you

Tony

Too late for me !!!

This evening NIS Internet Security quarantined hg61_run.exe (and all my back up copies of it) as it was allegedly infected with trojan.gen.

The latest version of HG stats is not installed on my desktop (it is presently release 2 4/2/14) and the monitoring system has not been active on my machine for a while.

So no great damage done, but I thought you might appreciate a heads up. Symantec have obviously very recently released a virus signature that has taken exception to hg612_run.exe. I have advised Symantec but as the quarantined file is probably not the latest version it may not be terribly relevant. 

I may as well take this as an opportunity to reinstall V5 from scratch. Can you tell me what HG612 firmware version should be run in conjunction with HG Stats these days as I've rather lost touch not having used the monitor for some time?

Thanks BBN

EDIT: I note that the above link to the freeware files site results in "page not found". Is there a problem or is it just me?

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:28:44 PM by bbnovice »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 10:38:53 PM »

EDIT: I note that the above link to the freeware files site results in "page not found". Is there a problem or is it just me?

No, its not just you. When taking that link, I see --

File or Page Not Found
The page or file you requested has moved, no longer exists, or is in our queue awaiting re-approval.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 10:46:51 PM »

HG612 Run.exe hasn't changed since I first compiled it from a VBA script some years ago.

As for freeware files, we made a minor update last night and it seems there was a glitch,  I've re uploaded tonight but it takes them a while to verify and release any updates.

As for the firmware you should using the lastest version, available from here.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 10:47:53 PM »

No issues when using Microsoft Security Essentials and ditched NIS Internet Security 2 years ago it became the most CPU and service & processes intensive software i have ever seen for  security on a PC and I was a Norton fanboy since 2002.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 11:00:35 PM »

I may as well take this as an opportunity to reinstall V5 from scratch. Can you tell me what HG612 firmware version should be run in conjunction with HG Stats these days as I've rather lost touch not having used the monitor for some time?

HG612 Modem Stats should work with any of the HG612's firmware versions, but the latest version as found in Ronski's link (B030SP08) is recommended as it uses the latest band plans, offers better bitswapping & is definitely G.INP ready.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5