Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Eci cab and modem - using hg612 - firmware?  (Read 2586 times)

ktz392837

• Reg Member
Eci cab and modem - using hg612 - firmware?
« on: March 09, 2015, 08:34:55 PM »

I am considering using a hg612 on my line to gather some stats.  If I use a hg612 instead of my eci do i run the risk of my eci not working if ginp is enabled whilst using the hg612?

Thanks

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Eci cab and modem - using hg612 - firmware?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 09:38:06 PM »

The way I see it the ECI modem and ECI DSLAM will require a firmware update to use G.INP so using a HG612 will not change anything on your side you should be able to use the HG612 and the ECI modem.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:52:38 PM by NewtronStar »

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:36:24 PM »

If bt try to update firmware of my eci when the hg612 is attached this will mean the eci will no longer work.  As the eci modem is much cooler than the hg612 I would like at some point to go back to the eci but I run the risk of it not working if it does not get the firmware update it probably needs.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 11:07:20 PM »

If bt try to update firmware of my eci when the hg612 is attached this will mean the eci will no longer work.  As the eci modem is much cooler than the hg612 I would like at some point to go back to the eci but I run the risk of it not working if it does not get the firmware update it probably needs.

It's just like any other update to any other device it needs to be active have access to the internet to update the ECI modem it does not matter when or how it update as long as it's been updated and TBH they way the G.INP is being rolled out slowley you may see another christmas without having G.INP activated on your line if you need it  ;)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 06:45:50 AM »

I'm sure I read somewhere that a DLM reset is sometimes needed to force a modem firmware update for older models of the ECI when/if G.INP is activated, whereas HG612s don't need such a DLM reset.

I think this was particularly relevant for engineers installing older ECI van stock modems where it would appear to be in sync, but there is no actual internet access.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 09:44:14 AM »

If bt try to update firmware of my eci when the hg612 is attached this will mean the eci will no longer work. 

How do we know whether this firmware update has already happened or not?

The way the new procedure works, to fix an ECI (from the van) that doesn't have the right software, *and* doesn't sync properly, is by asking for a DLM reset. Then, when the modem is running for the 2 days on a line without DLM intervention, the modem gets recognised as being on the old firmware, and an update happens. It has to - because DLM could turn on G.INP again in 2 days.

I don't think there is anything special about those 2 days where extra firmware checks happen; don't they happen all the time? If the firmware has already been made available, then any ECI modem plugged in already would have performed the upgrade, wouldn't it?

Certainly, if an engineer supplies an ECI from the van, it will have the old firmware. If it then syncs successfully - because DLM is not active - then it still has to get upgraded; it is at risk of hitting a problem during the period before this upgrade, simply because DLM could intervene at any moment.

Because BT have started to roll out G.INP nationally, any existing ECI modem is equally at risk of being incompatible by DLM's actions, at any moment. Therefore you'd expect the new firmware to be fully available right now ... in fact, to have been available from before the rollout started. And from the last paragraph, you'd equally expect that every ECI modem would have been upgraded.

I suspect, therefore, that if you plug an ECI modem into the line *now*, and left it for at least a couple of days, it would get recognised and upgraded (if that has not already happened). Then you can go back to the HG612, knowing the ECI should be ready for action.

anything