Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Query re: OR Engineer visit & Zyxel modem  (Read 17768 times)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Query re: OR Engineer visit & Zyxel modem
« on: March 09, 2015, 07:34:15 PM »

I have been advised by Plusnet that they have arranged a visit from an Engineer (OR).

What is the current accepted form re: substitution of the OR Modem.

I am running with a Zyxel VMG8324-B10A instead of the HG612 as supplied.

Should I put the original HG612 back and not mention the Zyxel or are OR Engineers more accepting of other kit.

Probably stupid question but I will risk asking anyway. ;D

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Query re: OR Engineer visit & Zyxel modem
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 07:35:49 PM »

personally I would put it back so they can't argue about it.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 07:52:18 PM »

loonylion:
You have confirmed my thoughts.
I was hoping that there was a more enlightened attitude now.

Collecting stats is not exactly working against OR/BT.
I will unlock my HG612 and put it back, unless convinced otherwise.

Tnx

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:22:41 PM »

At least with a BT/Openreach branded HG612, the engineer shouldn't be able to intimate that a non-approved modem has been causing the issues all along.

A number of OR engineers saw the stats/graphs & the GUI from my unlocked HG612 a couple of years ago.

Some were very interested (particularly when watching in real time the quite significant effect of a DLM reset whilst still on site - via the modem's GUI & also in the graphs pre-DLM reset & post-DLM reset), some took no notice, saying their JDSU/EXFO hand held testers told them everything they needed to know & some said they didn't actually understand what the graphs were depicting (maybe the latter group were PSTN only engineers?).

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 08:37:20 PM »

One of the steps the Broadband engineer may do is to swap out the old HG612 and replace it with one from his van if you don't have the HG612 inplace during the OR inspection then they won't be able do to this.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:56:38 PM by NewtronStar »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 08:37:41 PM »

Thanks BE1/NewtronStar,

I hoped things would have changed but my gut was telling me don't give any reason to blame the 'non-standard' kit.

The reported lack of interest is surprising to me.
I come from an IT background and when I worked with anything I wanted to know everything I could find out.
New methods and means of getting information was always valuable.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 08:47:54 PM »

oh and for god sake unplug that lan2 cable from HG612  :blush: the BB engineer was not happy about that.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 08:51:11 PM »

What Lan2 cable there is a sticky label stopping it from being used  ::)  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 09:04:51 PM »

What Lan2 cable there is a sticky label stopping it from being used  ::)  ;D

:D the first thing the OR Enginner noticed was the LAN2 led blinking on the HG612 and said that's not right that socket should not be used and bla bla bla something about the manufacturer had disabled that port

So not all OR BB engineers are easy going so beware !!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:06:55 PM by NewtronStar »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 01:56:55 PM »

Once it is all running again, how quickly can I replace the HG612 with the Zyxel vmg8324-b10a?

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 02:13:28 PM »

You could change it immediately but it would be interesting to see stats from the HG612 for 24 or 48 hours before making the switch so as to see if there are performance differences other than the extra few Mb/s Sync on the Zyxel.  The HG612 should be using the latest V100R001C01B030SP08 firmware.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 04:28:25 PM »

I personally get a more stable connection with the HG612. Both the Billion and Zyxel gave more unstable stats and higher error rates for me.

I think it's a trial and error thing - see which one is best for you!
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Hitman

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 09:59:34 PM »

I had to contact the CEO at BT to get things moving with my line fault, I thought what the hell and told him I had an unlocked modem and inserted the stats into the email, TBH they've been really good about it and have passed the info on to their engineers.

I've pretty much had problems nearly every year, so I think they can't really say anything when you're pretty much forced to find out what's happening to your line and it helps towards finding the cause of the fault, that said I can understand why some engineers may not like the fact you've hacked their equipment  :P

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 02:22:33 PM »

You could change it immediately but it would be interesting to see stats from the HG612 for 24 or 48 hours before making the switch so as to see if there are performance differences other than the extra few Mb/s Sync on the Zyxel.  The HG612 should be using the latest V100R001C01B030SP08 firmware.

Too late, I put the Zyxel back, before a DLM reset and I am now getting 70/20 on my line previously before errors 80/20.
I will see if DLM does anything in the next few days.

Engineer advised that he got 79xxx kbps at the 'Telephone manhole' at the bottom of my drive. so I should log another call if the speed does not return.

While he was at it he filled the cable cluster with sealant which had not been done 16 yrs ago [Sig from last opening in manhole]
This is before the house was built around the time the estate was created.
No work done since as I drive over the cover to get on/off my drive and I/neighbours would see if it had been touched/moved.
I had always seen changes in the telephone noise level & BB speed when having wet weather but could not prove it.
Last time an Telephone engineer investigated was 10-12 yrs ago and was told they could not improve it. ???
I know the manhole has a BT designation but cannot think of it  ??? [Has DAW DW & (94 in a Circle) on name plate]

See Photo (The red stuff is the sealant)

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 03:04:10 PM »

Fingers crossed for you.  You have however had an attainable of about 74-75 for most of this year and about 4 days before you went interleaved the attainable dropped further to about 71. The drops look like crosstalk.   As you say, at that time your sync was 80 but the SNRM was down to about 3.5 and well below 6.  Your attainable is thus now similar to values prior to the interleaving setting in and current sync is roughly what you would have had if you done a manual resync before the DLM reacted.  Your error increase may have just been the effect of the low 3.5 value of SNRM? (The attainable whilst interleaved was bigger but this always seems to be a rather misleading figure.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything