Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Query re: OR Engineer visit & Zyxel modem  (Read 17900 times)

boost

• Reg Member
Re: Query re: OR Engineer visit & Zyxel modem
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »

I wonder how the speed checker can change like this? What are the pre-reqs or the composite measurements that make up the reported speed?

Openreach will have a record of the speed you were provisioned at and depending on the dates you were at those speeds, PN might even be able to access it via the OR website too.

Whether any of this will help...

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2015, 11:52:49 AM »

Kitz,

Every point I KNOW !!!!! Arrrrrrrrrrgh  >:( >:( >:(

It apparently makes no difference.

OR via DLM slide your Estimated 'Range' down on a fault and then have a lower target to meet.
This has been done twice.
i.e.  on each Engineer visit.

:rant: :shoot: :wall: :rant: :shoot: :wall: :rant: :shoot: :wall: ...... (Ad nauseam)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2015, 12:11:43 PM »

The only reason I recall your stats is because at one time they were so similar to my own, but admittedly that was last year and things can change.  So Ive just gone back through on MDWS to give you my analysis.

On the 17th of Nov, it looks like you may have picked up a heavy crosstalker, theres nothing much that can be done about that, but the line still remained in sync at 80/20.

Jan 08 it looks like the line started a slow degrade of SNR (possibly mild crosstalkers), the SNRm went down to 5dB, then 4dB yet the line still stayed in sync and the Err Secs were low enough so that the DLM didnt care. That suggests that the line was a very stable 80/20 but hanging on in there, but the next time you did a resync then you will have lost some of the 80Mbps.
I'm afraid to be the bearer of bad news in that crosstalk has cost you some speed and you may not quite get 80Mbps again, but that does NOT justify the 57Mbps sync in March and 60Mbps.   At a guess you should still be reaching somewhere in the mid 70's but I haven't calculated it exactly, certainly no lower than 70Mbps.**

Something drastic happened on Feb 14th.  Not only did you lose your downstream speed, but your Upstream SNRm took one hell of a hammering.  Your Upstream SNRM dropped from 12dB to 6dB.   You lost 6dB of upstream SNR overnight and that certainly isnt right.  You probably wouldn't have noticed this because there was still sufficient SNRm to give you the 20Mbps.

There is also something strange occurring with your upstream SNRm.  If you look at it over the period of the last 6 weeks it has some 'castle top' like activity _|¯|__|¯|_  down to 6dB, up to 15dB, down to 6dB up to 11dB, down to 7db and now back up at 15dB.   That certainly is not expected behaviour and something odd going on for your upstream.

There are certain things I cant tell from MDWS and so can you please post me a full set of your current stats. (adsl info --stats)

----
**  ETA

I just thought, I hadnt included any compensation for g.inp in that calculation so in theory you should gain some of the loss back again, and if g.inp works as it should then you 'should' be in the high 70's
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:31:08 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2015, 12:13:29 PM »

You seem to be looking at ISPs with an LLU presence i.e. their own backhaul.

Most other ISPs use BT Wholesale backhaul and perhaps TT backhaul, AAISP included.

I checked via www.samknows.com and Uswitch.

There is no AAISP !!!

I have even tried other ISP 'Check your Phone Number' options and no-one has been able to supply that was outside that list.
It seemed to prove that the list was it.
If AAISP run on the back of BTW then it will be available.

Had a quick look. Looks good from the website but 'dearer' and monthly limits on traffic volumes.
I will keep it as a fallback BUT should not have to 'pay' for someone to get the line performance I had.
I am the sort of person who will fight over 'principles' rather than walk away.
I will spend £10 to fight a principle over 5p. Its 'Hardwired' in. ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2015, 12:17:31 PM »

I can't give much input other than stating what may be the remit ?. 
DCoE = Diagnostic Centre of Excellence. Basically, they have in-depth analysis tools to view the circuits performance. If 'The computer' says it's ok and within acceptable parameters, then I assume they are told to close the job down ?? I don't know for certain, as I've no dealings with that side of the fence and their goings-on .

Kitz is correct in that all tests are done through the WHOOSH systems. 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2015, 12:20:17 PM »

AAISP are a BTw based provider.  Only LLU's are listed separately.   As an FTTC customer LLU makes no odds anyhow as all fttc lines are provided using BTOpenreach.

On my own checker I try clarify it by saying

The vast majority of UK ISPs use BTs exchange equipment to supply their broadband, for those ISPs you should use the information on the left.
The following is a list of providers offering an alternative service to BT Wholesale based broadband in your area.
/snip/
Available ISPs are too numerous to list, but some examples would be: Zen, Plusnet, IDNet, Enta, etc
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »

There are certain things I cant tell from MDWS and so can you please post me a full set of your current stats. (adsl info --stats)

Here they are.

I have a full set of stats (gaps & crashes excluded  ;D ) until just before the 2nd Engineer visit (All via DSLStats)
I have now switched to HG612 Stats due to problems switching between HG612 & Zyxel which I need to get running quickly before the 2nd Engineer arrived.
HG612 Stats was up & running quickly so I switched.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2015, 12:32:29 PM »

At a guess you should still be reaching somewhere in the mid 70's but I haven't calculated it exactly, certainly no lower than 70Mbps.

I did. I should be getting approx 75M DS and 20 US based on the area the Max Attainable reaches. (+/- a meg or 2)   ;D

Something drastic happened on Feb 14th.  Not only did you lose your downstream speed, but your Upstream SNRm took one hell of a hammering.  Your Upstream SNRM dropped from 12dB to 6dB.   You lost 6dB of upstream SNR overnight and that certainly isnt right.  You probably wouldn't have noticed this because there was still sufficient SNRm to give you the 20Mbps.

This was the start of the degradation of the line. I assumed this was normal but monitored it. When it was getting close to 3db I resynced rather than let DLM do someting interesting.

There is also something strange occurring with your upstream SNRm.  If you look at it over the period of the last 6 weeks it has some 'castle top' like activity _|¯|__|¯|_  down to 6dB, up to 15dB, down to 6dB up to 11dB, down to 7db and now back up at 15dB.   That certainly is not expected behaviour and something odd going on for your upstream.

That was all DLM's doing 'playing' with the line.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2015, 12:37:19 PM »

Kitz,

The 'I did' applies to the 'You probably wouldn't have noticed this because there was still sufficient SNRm to give you the 20Mbps.' comment,

Sorry finger/brain interface has its own 'DLM' problems.  ;D

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2015, 12:43:10 PM »

DCoE = Diagnostic Centre of Excellence. Basically, they have in-depth analysis tools to view the circuits performance.
If 'The computer' says it's ok and within acceptable parameters, then I assume they are told to close the job down ??

Thanks Black Sheep,

Exactly what I assumed and hence my comments re: Remote Diagnostics ......
I know how this works I used be be a Techie working with Networks but NOT at the Telecoms end of the scale.
Also worked on & ran a Helpdesk so i know what instructions are given to cleardown calls.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2015, 12:48:53 PM »

Thanks for those stats,  I cant see anything obvious other than your atten is now lower than mine.   Your error rate on the whole looks pretty good, even when operating at a low SNR in Jan, so its obvious that prior to 14th of Feb that was one very stable line in good condition.  I don't yet fully understand all the g.inp part of stats so cant comment on those Im afraid.

That was all DLM's doing 'playing' with the line.

But why was it messing with your upstream.  Upstream and downstream DLM are independent of each other.   According to MDWS your MTBE rate was below any figure that should cause you to come under the scrutiny of the DLM for your upstream.

wonder how the speed checker can change like this? What are the pre-reqs or the composite measurements that make up the reported speed?

Openreach will have a record of the speed you were provisioned at and depending on the dates you were at those speeds, PN might even be able to access it via the OR website too.

I would hang on to this copy of your sync speeds from MDWS.   It shows your sync speeds over the past 4 months and proves that until Feb 14th you had a stable 80/20 connection. 
-----

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2015, 12:49:01 PM »

You seem to be looking at ISPs with an LLU presence i.e. their own backhaul.

Most other ISPs use BT Wholesale backhaul and perhaps TT backhaul, AAISP included.

I checked via www.samknows.com and Uswitch.

There is no AAISP !!!

I have even tried other ISP 'Check your Phone Number' options and no-one has been able to supply that was outside that list.
It seemed to prove that the list was it.
If AAISP run on the back of BTW then it will be available.

Had a quick look. Looks good from the website but 'dearer' and monthly limits on traffic volumes.
I will keep it as a fallback BUT should not have to 'pay' for someone to get the line performance I had.
I am the sort of person who will fight over 'principles' rather than walk away.
I will spend £10 to fight a principle over 5p. Its 'Hardwired' in. ;D

OIL FOIT YA FOR UT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7QBS0O7gT0 (prolly not considered work safe if you have loud speakers)

:D

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2015, 01:06:17 PM »

Love it  :D :D :D :D

Remember the film and the 'Interesting acting' that I am sure offended many 'Travellers'  ;) ::)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2015, 01:18:12 PM »

My point was that AAISP have a history of kicking BT hard enough to get a line fixed.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2015, 01:44:32 PM »

Dray,
Thanks for the Heads-up,
I did see that they are happy to take on problem lines.

My issue is the line is NOT a problem line just BT/OR have screwed it up. Short & Sweet.
They should fix it and NOT I pay a premium to get an 'Attack Dog' to do it for me.

Back to this 'Principles' thing again  ;) ;D

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything