Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Advise Needed  (Read 4699 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Advise Needed
« on: March 08, 2015, 02:35:27 PM »

we are looking for new cordless phones preferably with nuisance caller blocking, BT have a trio set on offer at £69.99
 BT7600 Nuisance Call Blocker Trio
Was £89.99
quicklinx:8XDDWS

The Panosonic ones I have now are beginning to crackle and squark a lot.

Anyone care to advise me please?

Regards,

Peter

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: Advise Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 03:18:55 PM »

Helped someone set-up another BT model last week; they could only block ALL international,withheld numbers.

Just had a quick look at the manual p28 http://www.shop.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/8xdd/bt7600_nuisance_call_blocker_full_user_guide.pdf

Block nuisance calls
The BT7600 blocks nuisance calls in two ways,
firstly by type e.g withheld or international and also
by your choice of specific numbers (you can store
up to 10 numbers of your own choice).

Not sure if that would be sufficient.

Ian

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 08:07:14 PM »

Thank you Ian, it's a start, I wont be rushed into these unless my old phones give out .

Peter

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:32:07 PM »

It won't work even if your registered to http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html some still get through, but what is needed is to get the company name and number thats recorded on phone and then use the site above to make a complaint it's the only way this TELE VIRUS is going to stop.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 06:21:14 AM »

We've been with TPS for years and it's extremely rare that we get nuisance calls, so it does work. It takes a while before it starts to take affect though.

My works mobile is a different matter,  I get loads of recorded message calls and I've now taken to ignoring any that start 0843.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 11:04:19 AM »

We also are registered with TPS, phone number is ex directory but we still get calls offering TPI stuff, and lately 'accidents ate work in the last 50 years??'
When I ask where they get my number they usually say of our data base or from the book, lies of course.

Peter

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 09:44:12 AM »

www.truecall.co.uk is the only thing which has ever worked for me.

Looking at the call stats its rejected (for varying reasons) 78.7% of all incoming calls - I also have some options set which mean I never hear the call but robocallers get sent to the message manager where they stay connected for 4 minutes. Might not cost the spammers much but we do what we can to bump their bills up :)

There are various different "models" now - AIUI they're physically all the same, just different subsets of the same firmware. The one I have does everything the new models do but I don't know which model corresponds to that now.

For intl (or indeed any) calls you can block them all but specify a "breakthrough" code to give people which will override that.

Its not a phone but it works a lot better than anything BT will supply you - I am very dubious about any teleco really wanting to give you a full set of blocking features as they make LOTS of money from the spammers.....

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 01:14:02 PM »

a quick last (hopefully) question on this, if the rechargeable batteries are getting to the end of their useful life will that cause the distortion on the phones, sorry if this is a daft question, but if changing the batteries is all they need it will be cheaper than new phones.

Peter

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 02:58:29 PM »

a quick last (hopefully) question on this, if the rechargeable batteries are getting to the end of their useful life will that cause the distortion on the phones, sorry if this is a daft question, but if changing the batteries is all they need it will be cheaper than new phones.

Peter
Yes it could do, so try changing the batteries first, we have even tried the AAA ones from the '£ shop' and they last for about a year before they need changing again  :o
As a gift a xmas we received a BT4500 Dect phone set and that does block most of the nuisance  calls and I have our old Dect phone set registered in on the BT4500 base station.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt4500-big-button-twin-8TC6.html?q=bt4500
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:30:35 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 03:51:26 PM »

Peter

Yes that'd be one of the first symptoms - the other main symptom will be that the battery gets significantly warmer when recharging than it used to.

If they are panasonics of a certain age then it'll be a battery pack with a lead that plugs into the phone rather than individual AA/AAA cells. From memory you can get replacement packs online for well under a tenner, just search for the model number on the battery pack.

anything