Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hive Active Heating  (Read 1513 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Hive Active Heating
« on: March 03, 2015, 09:39:28 AM »

Had an offer to have one of these fitted, anyone got any experience of them at all?

Currently have a wireless programmer so don't know if there would be any benefit, or saving to fit the Hive?
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Hive Active Heating
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 12:15:56 PM »

I really don't see the point of them.  :no:

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 12:59:25 PM »

I advise people to avoid these sort of things like the plague - if its capable of being controlled by a phone/whatever over TCP/IP then sooner or later it'll be compromised in some way.

From memory Hive has some sort of online dashboard too - nice if you could access the data there because you could identify when the house was empty for more than a couple of days & sell that on. I'm not even going to start on people being able to mess around with stuff within your home other than to remind you all that every single implementation of "smart metering" (as is being rolled out in the UK) has been compromised & exploited. All of them, regardless of country or manufacturer.

The "internet of things" is monumentally dumb given the current laxity in coding/testing/storage of data/default passwords/etc.

This is one area where (IMHO) you really don't want to be an early adopter.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 01:24:17 PM »

I really don't see the point of them.  :no:

This is my feeling too, £159 for the same thing to be fitted.

Rizla makes another good point that I was concerned about, is the technology always going to be secure and is it not yet advanced enough.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 02:22:12 PM »

There are (IMHO) various data ownership/retention issues which need addressing as well across this much-vaunted "internet of things".

A good example is the "black box" which insurance companies are keen to push with discounts for younger drivers. Who owns the recorded data? This is important because without exception it will show the driver exceeding a speed limit at some point - we all do it, whether by accident or otherwise. If the insurance company owns & stores the data then the govt could pass a retrospective law (its been done) to give them access to the data and fine the drivers without the incovenience/cost of hearings/trials. Quite the little money-spinner if they said "pounds or points, you choose" :D

The problem with the technology is simply that (like the home router market) there's a lot of stuff which won't be supported past next year so if its wide open to exploits a few years on then what do you do about it? More importantly how would you know?

You think your house is nice & warm but you get a huge bill, energy company says "you set it wrong", two years down the line you hear that a sales manager from your energy company has been done for fraud - inflating his teams bonuses by boosting thermostats on a random basis. Doesn't sound that far-fetched does it?