Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Are there current problems on Plusnet Re: getting PPP sessions and/or thoughput  (Read 4022 times)

AArdvark

• Kitizen

All,

I have been having problems on my line for the last few days.
(Long Story ..... On going with Plusnet)
I am down to 55meg Sync from 78 Meg normally.
(DLM has kicked in 'HARD' !!!!)

Problem:
======
Last night I could not get a PPP session to Plusnet after the start of the 'Gateway maintenance work' (approx 2:00am)

I left the router off until 10.00am and still could not get a connection this morning

Eventually at approx 12:00 I was able to get a working connection.

Now at 19:20 all my connections stopped and I could not get any updates to tabs in Firefox.
The PPP session was up and running but the pages were timing out.
(This was on urls that were already open and updating)

Screen caps attached FYI.

Something is happening to my line but I don't known where the problem is.

Any help or ideas are welcome.

TIA

AArdvark

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

I have no knowledge of any "happenings" in the world of Plusnet but wonder if you are using their DNS server(s)? If yes, perhaps try using any of the other public DNS servers. That may alleviate you throughput problem. :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tommy45

• Reg Member

Join the club yes peak time issues have been evident for the past 23mths on and off , used to only see issues on a Sunday and or Monday evening times correlated to the plusnet usage charts , as the useage increased throughput would typically start fluctuating and generally decrease in particular  when using single threaded mode on down or even upstream in some cases , this Sun /Mon  peak time issue has  more recently become a bigger problem for some of plusnets customer base both fttc and adsl customers have been affected by it as it over the past few months has started to cause issues on an almost nightly basis
The fact that by gateway hopping  which can sometimes take multiple  attempts in order to eventually  to connect to a unsaturated endpoint  which can be on the same gateway but requires a drop of PPPOE  session  to enable this ,  the fact that by doing this often will provide normal or near normal levels of throughput to be restored  is certainly an indication that this issue lies within plusnet's or BTW's  remit as it's network interconnect related,  plusnet have been quick to dimissis this as being down to their networking , and have attempted to blame it on other things like the customers connection , asking customers to report it as a fault , when this clearly isn't a line/or customer equipment fault , one customer followed their advice and they ran their end to end line test which of course detected nothing and closed the ticket, Plusnet are jokers at our expense, Reading the ADSL forum it would appear that they even booked an OR engineer  for this type of issue, of course he reported a RWT  problem is who is paying BTOR for these visits, I for one won't agree to even the possibility that i may be charged should they wish to send out a BTOR engineer  in my case, So if they are going to put it in writing that they will swallow such a charge then bring on the engineer visit  waste of both mine and the engineers time imo  The PPPOE session issue does occasionally rear it's head  i think it's got something to do with the hardware in use

BC  i can confirm using a thrird party DNS makes zero difference to throughput, i have never used Plusnets  ropey DNS servers and never will
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:32:34 PM by tommy45 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

BC  i can confirm using a thrird party DNS makes zero difference to throughput, i have never used Plusnets  ropey DNS servers and never will

Thanks for that information Tommy.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

I haven't had such a bad experience, but I do get random delays opening web pages, and as tommy45 says, changing the DNS servers has made no difference.
  Eric

AArdvark

• Kitizen

Thanks for the query re:DNS

I never use the ISP DNS and I am using OPENDNS.

The problem was not one of addresses not being resolved but one of an open page suddenly not being there any more and not updating.

i.e. reading news from bbc.co.uk (Multiple pages open in multiple windows) and suddenly the page is not updating and eventually timing out giving a SERVER NOT FOUND error.

If you look at the Traffic chart the 'drop off a cliff' at 19:20 is the point where it happened.
Downstream dies but Upstream is still working.

AArdvark

• Kitizen

Yay, the problem appears to be a HR fault. (1st time I have enjoyed having a fault :) ). The engineer is fixing it now ...... I hope :)

anything