Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Upgrade to Infinity without BT hub?  (Read 3604 times)

lloyd

• Reg Member
Upgrade to Infinity without BT hub?
« on: February 18, 2015, 01:16:49 PM »

I don't seem to be able to up upgrade to Infinity without having to pay for home hub delivery.  Does anyone know if it is possible to avoid this cost as I already have a more than suitable router?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:36:37 PM by lloyd »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Upgrade to Infinity without BT hub?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 09:58:47 PM »

In that case just go a head and order infinity and i'll purchase the BT hub from you at the delivery price plus your posting fee and you won't lose any money going to FTTC  ;)

You can PM me when your ready to sell !

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:55:15 AM »

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd also post here as its relevant to others who may see this thread.

My brother is upgrading to BT Infinity rather than changing ISP as he still has 8 months on his line rental saver. He is intending on using an HG612 with his own router, but he'd like to know if he has to use the Homehub to provide BT Wifi to others, as he'd like to have access to the BT Wifi network when out.

Any advice please?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:21:18 PM »

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd also post here as its relevant to others who may see this thread.

My brother is upgrading to BT Infinity rather than changing ISP as he still has 8 months on his line rental saver. He is intending on using an HG612 with his own router, but he'd like to know if he has to use the Homehub to provide BT Wifi to others, as he'd like to have access to the BT Wifi network when out.

Any advice please?

Seems that the home hub needs to be connected to register the allocation of minutes. The active home hub sends back messages saying its broadcasting BT Wifi.

If you opt out, you don't get access to the network: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11044/related/1

See this also: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12987/~/i%27ve-changed-my-bt-home-hub-and-my-bt-wi-fi-hotspot-has-disappeared
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 06:19:17 PM »

Thanks jid, perhaps he can configure the HH5 as just an access point, then it's wi-fi would still be active.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 07:38:16 PM »

No, it doesn't work like that. You don't need to offer a BT Wifi hotspot to be able to access them yourself. All BT subscribers can access BT Wifi hotspots regardless.

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 09:13:59 PM »

I can confirm the above – over time I’ve used a couple of different routers and for the last few months a Zyxel and I can still access BT WiFi hotspots on my mobile phone.

The only issue I’ve had is when I had a problem with my connection and the BT helpdesk insisted I connect up the supplied equipment before they would run any diagnostics – something to bear in mind.

@NS if you’re still looking for a HH5 I’ve got one that you can have.  I got it as part of a renewal deal, I tried it for a short while but  had problems with my wireless printer losing its connection so went back to my old setup.  Let me know if you want it.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 09:58:54 PM »

Let me know if you want it.

Yes I do as my router HH3 has become a dinosaur and the HH5 will give me something to play around with for a while  ;)

So PM me and i'll unload your burden  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:01:21 PM by NewtronStar »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 10:13:50 PM »

Thanks for the info pooclah

anything