Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HH5 IP  (Read 6722 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
HH5 IP
« on: March 04, 2015, 10:09:52 PM »

Required an HH5A and the IP location seems to be stuck on the previous owners location, thought it was something to do with BT Fon but after a hard reset on the HH5 the BT fon will be activated and have opted out and it's been disabled.

But still the IP location on Google Maps from tablet goes to previous owner location, so I installed my old HH3 and Google Maps goes straight to my wireless IP location which is correct find this very odd .

Any help would be helpfull.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:29:38 PM by NewtronStar »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: HH5 IP
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 10:27:47 PM »

I always assumed the GeoIP location was nothing to do with the router, just the actual IP address you are assigned.

Maybe connect the HH5, disconnect the PPoE for 30mins then reconnect - to refresh the IP config as it were - works for me on TalkTalk fibre :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 10:37:19 PM »

I always assumed the GeoIP location was nothing to do with the router, just the actual IP address you are assigned.

Maybe connect the HH5, disconnect the PPoE for 30mins then reconnect - to refresh the IP config as it were - works for me on TalkTalk fibre :)

I connected the HH5 as a VDSL2 modem last night and disconnected this eveing and reconnected after 30mins but it's still showing the GeoIP location from the previous owner right down to there house  :o
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:41:05 PM by NewtronStar »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:40:08 PM »

I connected the HH5 as a VDSL2 modem last night and disconnected this eveing and reconnected after 30mins but in still showing the GeoIP location as the previous owner right down to there house  :o

I've never seen that before  :o On TalkTalk, we get FTTC Ip's allocated and its very different to get a different one - recently I've been up in Scotland instead of near Cardiff ::) It seems GeoIP is a strange thing, something I don't understand.

But I would say the issue you are experiencing could be firmware related, something BT have implemented perhaps ???
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 10:54:32 PM »

I connected the HH5 as a VDSL2 modem last night and disconnected this eveing and reconnected after 30mins but in still showing the GeoIP location as the previous owner right down to there house  :o

I've never seen that before  :o On TalkTalk, we get FTTC Ip's allocated and its very different to get a different one - recently I've been up in Scotland instead of near Cardiff ::) It seems GeoIP is a strange thing, something I don't understand.

But I would say the issue you are experiencing could be firmware related, something BT have implemented perhaps ???

Hmm the firmware on this HH5 was updated two days ago to the stable HH5 firmware we have seen in the BT forums and works for me anyway.

I don't think it's GeoIP my IP comes from scotland but my location is 200 miles off, my feeling is the HH3 - HH5 have a pre built IP location to the customer when it's ordered a kind of spying by BT  :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 11:42:04 PM »

Are you using the HH5 as a modem/router or just as a router (with an HG612 performing the bridge)?

Have you tried a full factory reset via a "paper clip in the hole" and hold for (say) 30 seconds? (With the VDSL2 WAN cable disconnected, of course.)

Is it a HH5A or a HH5B?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 12:06:36 AM »

Are you using the HH5 as a modem/router or just as a router (with an HG612 performing the bridge)?

Have you tried a full factory reset via a "paper clip in the hole" and hold for (say) 30 seconds? (With the VDSL2 WAN cable disconnected, of course.)

Is it a HH5A or a HH5B?

I did the full reset using a a small pointer before going online with HH5A and changed the admin password and the wi-fi key.

Used the HH5A as a router via HG612 and waited for the new firmware to come in which it did 24 hours later.

And used the HH5A as a VDSL2 modem/router for 22 hours and used RouterstatsHub all went very well.

Yet this wireless IP location is disturbing as it's showing the previous owners house & location of the HH5A which should not happen !

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 01:41:42 AM »

I did the full reset using a a small pointer before going online with HH5A and changed the admin password and the wi-fi key.

Used the HH5A as a router via HG612 and waited for the new firmware to come in which it did 24 hours later.

And used the HH5A as a VDSL2 modem/router for 22 hours and used RouterstatsHub all went very well.

All understood. Thank you.  :)

Yet this wireless IP location is disturbing as it's showing the previous owners house & location of the HH5A which should not happen !

Yes, that is puzzling. I have never come across such "persistence" before.  :-\ 

What exactly do you mean? Are you going into the GUI of the HH5 and it shows the location by name? By map coordinates? Or do you mean that when you go to Google Maps, via the HH5, Google states "you are here"?

(It was a few years ago, when Google first started gathering photographic images for its Street View that it also captured every wireless ID "visible" and stored the data with the corresponding GPS coordinates.)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 06:30:41 AM »

This is easily explained, when Google roam  the streets recording street views they also scan all the Wi-Fi networks and map them. They record all sorts of stuff, and this allows people to get a location without GPS.

I wonder, are there many Wi-Fi networks in your area, and is your street covered by street view?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »

What exactly do you mean? Are you going into the GUI of the HH5 and it shows the location by name?

I am using Google Maps on my tablet the GPS is off and just using W-FI network location.

I wonder, are there many Wi-Fi networks in your area, and is your street covered by street view?

That sounds the best explanation Ronski, my street/area is covered by street view and also in 3D which is looks more like a 3D game  ;D there is only three Wi-Fi networks near me and one of them is my own.

Yet the Wi-Fi key is different than the previous owner so what other data do google collect to identify the W-FI location  :o

I know the SSID thats what it must be  :-\
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:25:51 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 06:29:35 PM »

Possibly the MAC of the wireless subsystem is somehow involved?  :-\

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 07:30:52 PM »

Possibly the MAC of the wireless subsystem is somehow involved?  :-\

You hear about these sort of going on's with Google Maps on the news but never thought I would see it for myself, oh the big brother scenario is definitely well on the way.

Is there an opt-out option web site on google maps ?

EDIT: i see this https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/1725632?hl=en-GB
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:40:18 PM by NewtronStar »

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 08:56:16 PM »

This is quite shocking. 

What is annoying is that I never had that HH5 when google did their original survey so they must update their records when you change your router via your account, but why not delete the old records, they must know people pass/sell devices on.

As I’ve told NS I have no problem with him knowing where I live, but I could passed on or sold any of my old routers to a nutter via something of the likes of ebay.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 09:34:42 PM »

Indeed pooclah what is this publicly broadcast Wi-Fi information that Google collect as we know any user setting up a W-Fi access point on the router is for private use only in your home and not for the public or even your neighbours, So the disclaimer is false by Google ->

Only publicly broadcast Wi-Fi information is used to estimate the location of a device

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 10:32:32 PM »

Thinking back I believe I was with BE at the time google did their survey and the WiFi on the router would have been for my use only, not public.  After them I went to BT and again WiFi secured.

As I try various equipment and then move it on when I try something else I wonder how many people I’ve passed personal details to without realising.

Quite scary
Pages: [1] 2

anything