Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Failed fttc installation  (Read 4505 times)

lloyd

• Reg Member
Failed fttc installation
« on: March 04, 2015, 07:30:57 PM »

New BT FTTC was due to be enabled today.  Self install, so no visit required.  Return from work to find no adsl, no fttc and no dial tone.  :(  It is at times like this when you realise how poor Windows 8 can be on a slow connection (tether to a mobile in a poor mobile data area).  All those live tiles etc. seem to eat bandwidth for a long time after boot.  And why cant BT produce a mobile faults page (a faults page that displays well on a mobile)?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Failed fttc installation
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 08:00:20 PM »

All I can suggest is calling BT, there must be a reason the install failed. Unfortunately BT hasn't made their website the most mobile compatible  :(
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 10:32:12 PM »

If you have nothing at all, it is obviously a botch-job at the PCP (Cabinet). Ring asap and explain your predicament, should be a relatively simple fix.

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:50:21 PM »

Logged on the web as soon as discovered. I suspect I may be the first to be connected to the cabinet so just hoping there is nothing more seriously wrong.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 10:59:02 PM »

I see. Although our protocols dictate we check for VDSL synch, and that the dial-tone also works over the chosen 'Tie-pairs' at the Cabinet. If they don't and nothing can be done on the day, we generally leave the circuit running on ADSL as before.

Of course, I haven't got a clue what has happened with your particular circuit, but it does sound like a wrong termination in the Cab ?

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 10:17:11 AM »

Finally sorted yesterday. Spoke to the engineer, who was trying to hear my phone ringing through the letterbox. He said my pair had been left disconnected in the cabinet  ???.

Sync yesterday was at 28919, this morning the connection is up and down and the sync speed keeps changing (up and down).

I want to swap out the HH5, but how long should I leave the connection alone for?  10 days from the installation date, or 10 days from where the connection was repaired?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 10:56:15 AM »

There's no 10-day period on FTTC. You can swap modems any time, but leave at least 30 minutes after switching off the one before you switch on the other.
  Eric

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 12:13:31 PM »

Thanks

Why 30 minutes?  Is this as because you are disconnecting, or changing the hardware?  If I power down, am I still advised to wait 30 minutes before turning power on again?

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 12:20:22 PM »

because you are physically disconnecting the dsl line from the modem. If you don't wait the 30 minutes DLM will think your line is unstable and penalise you.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 03:41:55 PM »

Statistics are gathered over a 15 minute period and depending upon what the DLM "sees" in that period will influence the action it may -- or may not -- take. As we cannot categorise the precise starting point of the current DLM observational period, we double the time thus ensuring that there is one complete 15 minute period per disconnection/reconnection.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 04:27:53 PM »

Sync yesterday was at 28919, this morning the connection is up and down and the sync speed keeps changing (up and down).

The Sync speed should be steady (Data rate on the HH5) the Maximum Date rate will go up and down on the HH5 over a 24 hour period also known as the Max Attainable on other modem stats software.

Lets hope that HH5 has the latest firmware and your not having disconnections 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:32:52 PM by NewtronStar »

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 06:30:07 PM »

I presume you are using software to read those values.  Through gui I can only see the one figure. (Well one up and one down. )

Do you know which is the bad software version? There were a few times this morning where  I lost connection to the Internet and the sync speed changed at the same time. .  I'm not too concerned as I will be swapping it for a billion 8800nl in a day or two, but it would be nice to know.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 08:34:39 PM »

You can get more stats from the HH5 depending on which version you have type A or B and this works for the type A version http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/RouterStatsHub/download.htm

The lastest firmware version for the HH5 type A is Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 and this was to stop the disconects from the previous firmware they rolled out.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:43:49 PM by NewtronStar »

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 08:41:56 PM »

Not to worry.  I've got the b version.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 08:45:15 PM »

Not to worry.  I've got the b version.

In that case enjoy your Billion 8800NL when it arrives  ;D