Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Infinity 2 Problems  (Read 1367 times)

wecpcs

• Just arrived
Infinity 2 Problems
« on: March 03, 2015, 08:32:12 PM »

I had Infinity 2 installed late November last year and for the first few days I was getting speeds of around 68.5/18.5, then they started dropping drastically with HH5 reboots. After many calls to BT (India) who were of no help whatsoever until on one of their calls I was monitoring a download on Steam and it dropped the connection. After telling them this an engineer was arranged and he was very good and found several faults outside on the pole and in the manholes as well as one on my incoming line to my master socket. He also fitted the latest face plate as well. I was then getting speeds of around 62/16 for several weeks until a firmware update on the HH5 screwed it all up again with speeds of 57/7. Since then I have tried a locked HG612 with speeds still dropping, so I unlocked it and still the speeds dropped. So I purchased the Billion 8800AXL and immediately gained 5Mb on my DS speed and a little on my US speed. So I then contacted a friend who has a relation who is an Openreach engineer and he reset my line after 5mins of asking. That then gained me another 5Mb on my DS speed but not much on my US speed. Since then I have been monitoring my line with DSLstats v5.4 and I seem to getting a lot of ES errors and my speeds have remained fairly constant. It has now been about 14 days and I am considering risking a shutdown on my Billion for a couple of hours and fitting a round twisted pair modem cable that I used to use on the HH5, instead of the cheap looking flat Billion one to see if that can help with errors. So can anyone please advise me whether I should or not. All my data is on MyDSLWebstats (wecpcs).
Thanks
Colin

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Infinity 2 Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 08:42:14 PM »

A CAT5 UTP modem cable works for me.

wecpcs

• Just arrived
Re: Infinity 2 Problems
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 08:46:05 PM »

A CAT5 UTP modem cable works for me.

Thanks I will give it a try tomorrow. When I bought the Billion I thought I had better use their own cable just in case my CAT5 UTP cable was part of my original problem, but that has now been proved not the case.

Colin

PS
Now fitted and have a small improvement in sync speed and DL speed.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:50:07 PM by wecpcs »