Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612_modem_stats. BE/Ronski  (Read 5395 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
HG612_modem_stats. BE/Ronski
« on: March 15, 2015, 07:55:51 AM »

Just had a thought..

Is there anyway I can go back in time using HG612 modem stats and request a graph between a certain period of time last year... and would this be a useful feature to add to the GUI.

Its not important if it cant be done or if it would be too complicated, I was just wondering if it was possible.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Kitizen
Re: HG612_modem_stats. BE/Ronski
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 09:07:25 AM »

Hi Kitz, yes it's possible and it's quite easy. There's only one thing that may cause you some problems but there's ways around that.

Basically you need to extract the period you want to graph from your modem_stats.log - work on a copy of it and don't use Windows Notepad it's way to slow, I use NotePad++.

Save this file to a separate empty directory, and make a note of how many lines of data there are - NotePadd++ show the line numbers.

Now copy your new log file and then right click GraphPD.exe and paste. Or you can drag the file onto GraphPD.exe

It will ask you what period you want to graph, simply enter X m, where X is the number of lines (thus minutes worth of data)

It will now create the graphs in the folder where the log is saved.

This is something I want to add to the GUI, but simply haven't got around to yet.

Now the problem I spoke about is the physical size of your modem log file, if your not careful it can become too big to open, I split mine each year and this is a feature BE1 is going to add - automatic yearly splitting.

If it is too big to open then you need to find a way to split the file into smaller segments and then work on them.

Hope that makes sense.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 09:20:39 AM »

Got it thanks.  Havent done it yet as I need to split the period I want, but now that you've explained it.  I think I can follow that.

eke point taken re the log size,  I will definitely split the year too -  thank you.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 11:53:43 PM »

I've added a tools tab to the uploaded GUI version here, it has a single button which will process your modem log file into years, with the current year retaining the standard log file name. It does create a backup of the original log file. These files will reside in your specified folder.

I've carried out very limited testing, so use at your own risk.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 02:24:00 AM »

Cheers Ronski, but it caused mine to hang.

When I look in the Ongoing_Stats folder, I have a

~ modem_stats_2014 which only contains up to 25/07/2014
~ a new modem_stats log which is basically blank but for the past couple of mins.
~ modem_stats_log_backup_20150316 (223MB) which opens ok.
~ modem_stats_temp.log which wont open in notepad++ as it says its too big (223 MB)

Not sure if its related but off the top of my head 25th July is about the time I was testing some other routers, so there may well be a large gap at about this time.  - Edit no its not that - just checked the backup log everything is still contiguous at that period of time.

-----

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 06:25:33 AM »

I'll  do some further testing tonight on a large log file and see what happens, it did work fine on a small one, but it was getting late.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 07:24:55 AM »

Cheers Ronski, but it caused mine to hang.

Just thinking Kitz, did you get any errors, or did windows just say the program wasn't responding?

With a large log file it will take some some, and will appear to have hung - I need to build in a progress bar, but if you watch the files in explorer you should see their size increasing.

Just combined all my logs into one 703mb file and tested on that, took a few minutes but seemed to work fine until it got to the end, and I suspect there was a blank line in the log. All logs were split back into the same sizes as before.

I'll add some error handling tonight.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 07:51:56 AM »

Just realised that I hadn't actually stopped the stats logging, so if testing today please turn off stats logging prior to testing.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 12:21:36 PM »

Cheers ronski

Tried it again, but disabled logging first.  It still hangs... I left it 10 mins to ensure it wasnt just taking time. The 'not responding' happens quite quickly - ie it comes up in the title bar, the window fades outs and the curser goes into the spinning wheel.

By the time I checked, the file sizes for temp log was already at 223MB which is the same size as the original log.   
Same problems with the others logs, only this time it stopped at July 17th rather than 25th and no data for 2015
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 12:32:57 PM »

Further info just got a call re dad from the hospital, I hadnt got around to switching HG612 stats back on and I saw a message briefly appear saying logs completed... it probably took about 25mins.

However I really cant check anything now and have to go.
-----

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 01:16:00 PM »

Hope you're dad's ok.

My log was 765 mb,  but it's on an SSD and a pretty fast PC, it took about 5 minutes to process It.

When you get chance let me know if it actually worked.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 10:43:14 PM »

I've made some modifications and improvements, but still need to implement a progress bar.

Download here.

I'm also working on another technique which should improve the time it takes, but it's now time for some shut eye.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 09:41:07 AM »

Hope you're dad's ok.

My log was 765 mb,  but it's on an SSD and a pretty fast PC, it took about 5 minutes to process It.

When you get chance let me know if it actually worked.

It looks like it did work thanks. :)   According to the gap in my log it took 29mins to process.

PC shouldnt be that slow though.   I also have an SSD HD and decentish i7 CPU (Win Exp score 7.9 and 7.8 ) RAM is also 7.8.  PC was idle aside from dslstats, HG612 modem stats & mail...  I also had an editor open which I use for the site and although it can be RAM hungry at times,  it shouldnt have been using any CPU.    As BE knows I usually have to run HG612 modem_stats on at least medium because its a fast processor, so no idea why the log took almost half an hour to split :(
-----

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 10:14:50 AM »

Don't panic about your PC, during my testing last night I observed some significant slowdown. I then realised the modem log file watcher was still active, so each time I updated the modem log file it possibly tried to update the stats - causing the slow down. Not sure why I didn't get this the first time though.

Trouble is I've written most the program some time ago, so it takes a little while for things to come back to me.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 10:42:56 AM »

Trouble is I've written most the program some time ago, so it takes a little while for things to come back to me.

lmao - tell me about it.   Im doing a major overhaul of the adslchecker in order to pull fttc info, but the way the fttc info is presented means I can't just slot in a few new functions... also made worse when it comes to the 'LLU' lines info (lack of) so I cant even use the same login page because it just breaks for non BT lines.    I originally wrote it about 5/6yrs ago and you wont believe how much head scratching Im doing  ;D   Then I may have a lightbulb moment, write some a few lines of  code, then have to go and do something else, so by the time I do get back Im like..  erm where was I?    :lol: :lol:
-----