Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Linux Security.  (Read 3838 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Linux Security.
« on: February 15, 2008, 12:10:45 AM »

I.m getting on well with changing all my family computers over to Linux, (dual boot for a start) .
Do I need to think about any Linux Security eg. anti virus anti malware etc.?.
I have a very good Linux firewall (smoothwall ) with my network running behind it, so i'm not putting extra firewalls on each machine.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Linux Security.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 07:38:54 AM »

In my opinion you don't need to do anything else. Damaging Linux viruses and similar things simply don't exist. That's not to say that they won't in the future of course, but Linux is a tough nut to crack because of its inherent security provisions such as file ownership and permissions.

If a Linux box is being used as a server for a Windows box, then virus protection would be advised to protect the Windows box, but apart from that I wouldn't bother.
  Eric

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 09:36:08 AM »

Does this item in The Register yesterday have any bearing on this query?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/14/claranet_linux_security_hole/

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:45:15 AM »

If you've got an internet server of any sort, then cracking is always going be a possibility, and security bugs are discovered (and quickly fixed) every week. But if you're behind a firewall which blocks all incoming ports then cracking is just about impossible.

But malware exploiting software bugs is certainly possible in any OS. But, contrary to what that Register article says, that bug was fixed in hours and new kernel images released. I upgraded my Debian systems to fix that bug a couple of days ago. It rather looks as though Claranet weren't taking proper note of the security reports.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 11:28:36 AM »

In my opinion you don't need to do anything else. Damaging Linux viruses and similar things simply don't exist. That's not to say that they won't in the future of course, but Linux is a tough nut to crack because of its inherent security provisions such as file ownership and permissions.

If a Linux box is being used as a server for a Windows box, then virus protection would be advised to protect the Windows box, but apart from that I wouldn't bother.

Well that's what I was thinking but I wanted to hear from an 'Expert' . ;D
This is the first time I have not bothered with an 'Windows' update (I think it was 17 urgent updates  :( ),I will keep my dual boot set up but I will stop windows going on the internet.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

anything