Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Downloaded Files .  (Read 5434 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Downloaded Files .
« on: February 15, 2008, 10:57:20 PM »

If I download a file, (Say a   .Tar.gz) and I have a download folder on my User account, would that be ok or is it better to have my download folder on a root account home folder or somewhere else ?.
Or does it not mater ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Downloaded Files .
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 11:49:52 PM »

Or does it not mater ?.

The main thing is just remembering where you DL any file to, so no it does not matter.
This is why it always pays to have a specific folder where you save files to.
That way you know where it should be.

hth

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 12:01:16 AM »

Thanks  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 06:12:02 AM »

It's generally a good idea to use a subdirectory of your home directory for this purpose, particularly if you're going to build a program from source. The classic way to build a Linux program from source is to configure and build the program as a user, then become root temporarily just to install it.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 12:41:22 PM »

I set up a 'download' folder on my home folder, downloaded a '.tar.gz' file un packed it via 'root command'
It then  asked if I wanted to use my home folder as the default folder for the file package.
This application only works with MY settings other users cannot make the application work.
Should I have made a default folder under /     ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 02:10:11 PM »

What's the program? If it's a ready-built one (as opposed to source code) which just happens to be supplied in this form, then I would still keep your 'download' directory as the default, but copy the extracted directory with all its contents to /usr/local/ so that all users can access it.

For example, if the downloaded tarball was myprog-1.2.3.tar.gz, after unpacking it you would normally have a directory called myprog-1.2.3 containing the unpacked files. Open a console, cd to the directory where this new directory is stored, and become root by typing su. Then:

cp -R myprog-1.2.3 /usr/local/

will copy that directory with all its contents to /usr/local/.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 11:05:08 PM »

Got It Working  :)

It was a 'Citrix client'
I found a 'installation instructions' file, and I should have installed the main file to /usr/lib
I removed the previous set-up and re-installed it from a user account via 'konsole' (who will be the only user of the citrix client),
did a bit of configuring the file associations and it worked ok.
Thanks.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 07:02:00 AM »

That's good. I should have mentioned that, with tarball archives, there will normally be text files called INSTALL and README which you can read after unpacking the archive.
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 12:35:35 PM »

NOTE: This is NOT a Windows-vs-linux smart-ass posting, but a serious comment!

The problem with Linux, as I see it, is the learning curve. Things like this can take hours to sort out, whereas on Windows, if you install a simple program, it generally will work first time, or if it doesn't it's to do with the programs config. Very rarely do you install a program and it complains about a missing DLL (the Windows equivalent to Linux 'dependencies')

I suspect it's partly due to the proliferation of Windows PCs in the world, and as such there is a much larger userbase from which to draw knowledge - because the actual solutions to problems aren't really that dissimilar in terms of the amount of technical ability required.

However, what does make things difficult is the number of different Linux distributions, where binary files from one distribution aren't necessary compatible with another distribution, even though they're both "Linux", so you may hunt for a solution to a problem, think you've found it, and then realise it's for the wrong flavour of your OS, and have to start again. Very frustrating.

Nowadays, as a Linux n00b, where on earth do you start when trying to even decide which distro to install?! I know there's suggestions, and I'm not discounting them, I'm talking about folks who aren't lucky enough to read this forum ;)

Corect me if I'm wrong, but on Linux I don't think there is common install manager like Windows Installer (which is great, but was invented about 5 years too late!). I know about RPMs, and they've been around donkeys years, but they don't necessarily always take care of dependencies do they?

The point I'm trying to get across, or the question I'm asking... is how will Linux ever make that transition to being a usable desktop OS, that's as easy for people to get to grips with and sort problems out as Windows? I'm not blind, I see things have come on leaps and bounds, and almost everything is probably technically superior to Windows, but it still remains in the domain of the world's computer enthusiasts (or their long-suffering partners, as in the case of one of my work colleagues - her husband has Linux on the computer at home - good lad!)

I'm sure the day will come when Linux is robust enough (by which I mean problems like tickmike had will be virtually eliminated) to be used by the general public. I do think the number of different distributions around is hurting, rather than helping, that ideal though.

Does any of that make any sense, or is it just total nonsense and I obviously don't have a clue?!? Answers on a postcard... ;)

Anyway, enough rambling, I need to go out!
Chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 01:19:04 PM »

All of those are fair points, and they certainly pose some difficulties for people coming from a Windows background. The simple (or simplistic) answer is that Linux isn't Windows, and doesn't pretend to be. It's a wholly different OS, and it takes time to learn it. But look at what tickmike has achieved here - with a bit or perseverance and asking a few pertinent questions he's got to the point where he's urging others to follow in the same path.

The large number of distros is inevitable, give the free (as in freedom) nature of Linux. Anyone with the necessary technical skill can make their own distro, and lots of people do. But the big mainstream distros are fairly few in number, and they all have vast repositories of software packages, with package management systems which are largely just click-and-go. You only have to go outside this comfort zone if you're wanting to install something out of the ordinary. So I think the problems of software installation are nowhere near as great as some might think.

I've probably got more to say, but I've got to go out now. :)
  Eric

anything