Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky fibre Issue - Am I being Fobbed off?  (Read 3345 times)

CannonPark

• Just arrived
Sky fibre Issue - Am I being Fobbed off?
« on: February 27, 2015, 09:33:59 AM »

I upgraded to fibre last week and for the first 24 hours noticed a huge increase in speeds which was verified by speed testing on my ipad using the Ookla app showing 38mb download and 9 gb upload.  I downloaded a couple of iPlayer programmes and Spotify Albums and they were super fast to download.

The next day I started to get 5mb down and 0.8mb up, which was roughly what I was getting on ADSL and this has continued for the past five days.   I have called Sky and they said that line testing happens for the first 10 days and this could be the cause thus they weren't minded to do anything else until after the first 10 days of installation.

I have continued to run tests at various times through the day and am averaging 4-5mb down and 0.6-0.8gb up.

I have 30 days cooling off so I want to know whether this feedback in terms of line testing is reasonable at all?  The ten days finishes on Monday.

Any feedback would be welcome

Re: Sky fibre Issue - Am I being Fobbed off?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 11:19:38 AM »

There is no line testing taking place during the first ten days on VDSL2 ("fibre"). You get the fastest speed possible from day one.

What does http://192.168.0.1/sky_system.html say about connection speed, line attenuation & noise margin?

CannonPark

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 02:59:29 PM »

Hi Rizla,

Thanks very much for your response.

The details you asked about are as follows:

Broadband Link   Downstream   Upstream
Connection          39994 kbps     10000 kbps
Line Attenuation   17.9 dB     0.0 dB
Noise Margin   15.7 dB     15.15 dB

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 03:03:46 PM »

Is this when using a wireless or wired connection?

If its wireless then try wired & repeat the test - the SR102 is junk in terms of wireless performance.

Your sync speeds are fine so there's no line fault. My bet is you're using wireless & that's the issue.

CannonPark

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 07:50:31 PM »

Hi Rizla,

Apologies for the delay - been away for the weekend.  The last post was indeed with a wireless connection so here are the stats for a wired one from today - identical

Broadband Link      Downstream      Upstream
Connection Speed   39994 kbps      10000 kbps
Line Attenuation      17.9 dB               0.0 dB
Noise Margin      15.6 dB               15.15 dB

Strangely I have run the speedtest using the app on my ipad today which is the same method of testing I have used throughout (after the apparent ten day testing period) and its showing 30mb down and 9.5mb up.

My tests on day one were obviously a bit faster but i'm seemingly on a much faster connection than I have been from day 2 - day 10

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 08:58:43 PM »

I think rizla was alluding to trying a speedtest through a wired connection if possible, as opposed to wirelessly using the i-Pad ??

The stats you are posting up are the 'Synch speeds' (What the router is talking to the Fibre broadband equipment at). The speedtest you are doing via Ookla is what's called 'Throughput speed' and will be a percentage of the synch speed (circa 96%).
There are always losses using wireless as opposed to a wired connection, albeit negligible on lots of occasions, but to get a true speedtest reading you need to connect a laptop/desktop to the router using an Ethernet cable.

Hope this helps ?  :) 

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 03:04:28 PM »

Yes Black Sheep is spot on with what I wanted you to try.

Wireless performance is largely determined by the antenna (aerial) design/RF front-end and unfortunately that costs money. Most ISP-supplied routers with internal antenna are junk and Sky's SR101/102 are really good examples of how not to do things with RF "design". Thats a shame as the router itself is rock-solid.